Adaptive Reuse of Big Box Retail

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
ezdayman

Crystal Kmart

Postby ezdayman » February 1st, 2013, 3:39 pm

Drove by here today and noticed they hove the dozers out and a sign saying redelv.. any idea whats going here... cant wait for the last kmart to be gone from the landscape...

ezdayman

Adaptive Reuse of Big Box Retail

Postby ezdayman » February 2nd, 2013, 6:06 pm

So this was in yahoo. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-ret ... 20796.html

what will become of all these empty stores.. these are the top big boxes and I cant figure out what will go into all these spots. "no list of closeing in minnesota yet" Will this change what citys will allow for new Delv? Im guessing citys will be more caution when designing a new town center or "mall" area.

ezdayman

Re: all the empty big boxes

Postby ezdayman » February 2nd, 2013, 6:07 pm

alot of retail space to fill some of these best buys, office max/depot are huge spots and i dont see any new soutern stores coming to mn.. "frys etc..

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » February 3rd, 2013, 3:32 am

Oldly enough this was on my mind yesterday.

I drove by an old empty Walmart, and two blocks later is the new 'Shiny' Walmart.

Are cities that house these stores held hostage by their jobs and taxes such that they can't request even slight remediation before the store builds new and abandons their old property?

Granted I have seen cases where the old buildings have been repurposed for other bigboxes, but those are few and far between.

Here's an idea. So I grew up not a long way from a gravel pit. Obviously after say 50 years of removing rock they can't fill the entire hole in, but because of environmental regulation they are essentially required to cleanup some when they closeup shop.
In a dream world, sustainable building regulations would mimic this. Meaning a retailer understands that they are altering the landscape significantly by opening their store and would be required to have a plan when exiting said location.
Maybe with the right legal speak this could lower the total supply of abandoned big boxes.

ezdayman

Postby ezdayman » February 3rd, 2013, 11:42 am

perfect expamle is northtown mall.. 'northtown village" theres only a micahles and hancock.. michlles is leaving after there lease exp.. So you will have 5-6 big box empty stores. they built these back in 97 ish b4 riverdale and after river was built they all moved over there..

ezdayman

Postby ezdayman » February 3rd, 2013, 11:45 am

Reason Blaine Doesnt have a sonics is cause they dont want a drive in fast food opeing and if it fails to have a empty pad for years that will never be filled again. kinda like the building off universtiy and 610/10 they built a drive in resturant it never opened and it has sat empty since it was built back in 01/02

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Et tu, Walmart? Then, fall KMart

Postby Rube Dali » September 20th, 2016, 9:41 pm

With the news that the KMart on Robert St in West St. Paul(not to mention the Moorhead store and 62 other non-Minnesotan KMarts) closing soon, let's start a guessing game on when KMart closes their remaining Twin City area stores(and who replaces them). My guesses:

Minneapolis: Probably re-developed into an urban Hy-Vee store located along a reopened stretch of Nicollet Avenue. A few years to a decade away.
Northfield: Is the KMart there still open? Better question. A Walmart in Northfield? Could happen. May happen a few years from now.
St. Paul: Either a Walmart Supercenter or a Hy-Vee. Either way it would hurt three Cub locations within 3 miles of the location. This, however, might not happen for a very long while.

Your thoughts?
Buildings, what buildings?

QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Et tu, Walmart? Then, fall KMart

Postby QuietBlue » September 21st, 2016, 9:18 am

The Kmart in Northfield/Dundas closed earlier this year. I'm not sure why Northfield doesn't already have a Walmart, unless the company feels that the ones in Faribault and Lakeville are close enough.

My guess is that the Minneapolis Kmart won't close until the company itself folds, barring an offer for the site that is just way too good to pass up. It's cheap for them to operate and there's no competition nearby, nor will there likely ever be any.

As far as the St. Paul one goes, I don't know. I'm guessing that will close before the Minneapolis one, though.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 21st, 2016, 9:23 am

I'm sort of shocked Greater Northfield doesn't have a Walmart. Of course, politically, it would be in Dundas. Even before the closure of Kmart, there's a big undeveloped big box site just south of CR 1 in Dundas. Maybe there was an agreement between Kmart's lease and the developer/leaseholder about competitors in that space? Now, Walmart would be free to take over that entire site and build something there. Of course, I don't advise Dundas to do anything (including infrastructure changes) to subsidize a Walmart. But I wouldn't doubt it happening.

Speaking of Walmarts and Kmart areas, would Walmart ever consider an urban format store in Minneapolis? Nicollet-Lake redevelopment, or the old Rainbow space at Hi-Lake ("Downtown Longfellow" excuse me)?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 21st, 2016, 10:02 am

St. Paul: Either a Walmart Supercenter or a Hy-Vee. Either way it would hurt three Cub locations within 3 miles of the location. This, however, might not happen for a very long while.
http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/20/st ... olice-say/

mulad

Postby mulad » September 21st, 2016, 11:03 am

Weird. I hadn't realized that building was a Kmart, given its industrial surroundings. It has never caught my eye when I've been along Maryland Ave or I-35E.

The Kmart down in Rochester has some fairly good redevelopment potential -- it isn't far from the city's downtown, and the Slatterly Park neighborhood that it borders is probably the densest part of town (though that's not saying much). It's also near a rail spur that has been fantasized about as a future LRT corridor by at least a few folks here.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » September 21st, 2016, 9:48 pm

Speaking of Walmarts and Kmart areas, would Walmart ever consider an urban format store in Minneapolis? Nicollet-Lake redevelopment, or the old Rainbow space at Hi-Lake ("Downtown Longfellow" excuse me)?
I think the best way for Walmart to enter Minneapolis would be to replace the KMart on Nicollet with either a supercenter or neighborhood market(preferably with the front of the store facing a newly rebuilt Nicollet looking East towards 35-W). I don't know if the Hi-Lake Rainbow would be available to Walmart in any case, given Jerry's(or Lunds) ownership of the building.
Buildings, what buildings?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » September 22nd, 2016, 7:51 am

I think the best way for Walmart to enter Minneapolis would be to replace the KMart on Nicollet with either a supercenter or neighborhood market(preferably with the front of the store facing a newly rebuilt Nicollet looking East towards 35-W). I don't know if the Hi-Lake Rainbow would be available to Walmart in any case, given Jerry's(or Lunds) ownership of the building.

Respectfully, I hope Walmart does not build a supercenter there. I would be much more in favor of a neighborhood Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2016, 8:23 am

With how hard the city's working to fix the current Nicollet/Lake disaster, I don't see them letting another giant suburban model big box store with attendant acres of parking get built there. A neighborhood Walmart, sure. Possibly even a full-size urban-style store, like the downtown Target, if Walmart would be on board with that, but they probably wouldn't be.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]