Minneapolis: Highest Rape Rate in America?

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
bandar_seri_begawan
Block E

Minneapolis: Highest Rape Rate in America?

Postby bandar_seri_begawan » February 8th, 2013, 10:50 am

Minneapolis is usually considered a relatively safe city, but I was looking at some crime statistics and found this: Click on "Forcible Rape" until the list is descending

I found it strange that Minneapolis tops the list, does anyone have any insight on why this is the case?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis: Highest Rape Rate in America?

Postby woofner » February 8th, 2013, 11:52 am

Here's a few ideas:
-U of M
-high drinking rate
-less suburban area in central city limits (i.e. more bars per capita)
-no data listed for Chicago
"Who rescued whom!"

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 8th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Sexual assaults are one of the most untrustworthy statistics to compare across jurisdictions because of a high variability in how they're categorized and in reporting rates. Rapes are also committed by someone who knows the victim the vast majority of the time. To me, how "safe" a city is, is more about how much "random" crime there is -- stuff like robberies. Although rapes certainly can be random, that's actually not usually the case.

I don't say any of that to down play the importance of the issue. Just important to keep in mind it's a complicated issue.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 8th, 2013, 4:36 pm

When I looked at the stats, the rape stat is so far out there that I question whether it is correct or not. Not that anything on the interwebs would be incorrect..., but I would check other sources to see if that lines up. If it does prove to be correct the question arrises whether we report thing differently than other cities. If it truly is that far out of whack, we have some real sicko's around here. Time to lock up my daughter!!!

gahwi003
Nicollet Mall

Postby gahwi003 » February 8th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Obviously not a joking matter, but I like the "no data listed for Chicago" comment lol.

I would like to know the data regarding the percentage of the time the victim knew the rapist. Again, not saying rape isn't a serious matter, but I would wager that some of the "rapes" were actually "drunked mistakes" with people who knew eachother.

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 8th, 2013, 9:54 pm

gahwi003 wrote:Obviously not a joking matter, but I like the "no data listed for Chicago" comment lol.

I would like to know the data regarding the percentage of the time the victim knew the rapist. Again, not saying rape isn't a serious matter, but I would wager that some of the "rapes" were actually "drunked mistakes" with people who knew eachother.
Careful, you are straying into the territory that got a few Senatorial candidates in trouble this past election. It isn't our place to speculate whether a rape is "legitimate" or not. The victim can know the rapist, there can be alcohol involved, if the victim did not consent or was coersed, it is rape.
My flickr photos.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 9th, 2013, 2:28 am

Yea but clearly its what God intended to happen, so I mean can we really say they didn't consent? God took it on his behalf to consent for them so therefore it wasn't really rape.

By the way guys I'm accepting donations for my Mississippi senate run if anyone is interested.

What I would hope the reason for these high statistics are is that the incidents occur no more often then in other places. However, we just do a better job of creating an environment amongst police, community groups, schools ect, in which people feel comfortable reporting the crime.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » February 11th, 2013, 12:38 pm

MSPtoMKE wrote:
gahwi003 wrote:Obviously not a joking matter, but I like the "no data listed for Chicago" comment lol.

Careful, you are straying into the territory that got a few Senatorial candidates in trouble this past election. It isn't our place to speculate whether a rape is "legitimate" or not. The victim can know the rapist, there can be alcohol involved, if the victim did not consent or was coersed, it is rape.
But it is our place to speculate whether the rape actually happened. I don't think there is very good data out there (at least that I know of) that estimates the prevalence of false accusations.

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 11th, 2013, 8:01 pm

I think you can speculate in the abstract that some reported rapes may be false, but we should leave it up to law enforcement to determine individual cases. I was mainly replying to the question of whether it matters if the victim knew the attacker or if alcohol is involved. I say it does not in either case.
My flickr photos.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 11th, 2013, 8:26 pm

MSPtoMKE wrote:I think you can speculate in the abstract that some reported rapes may be false, but we should leave it up to law enforcement to determine individual cases. I was mainly replying to the question of whether it matters if the victim knew the attacker or if alcohol is involved. I say it does not in either case.
How often the victim knew the attacker matters in the sense of what value the statistics have to people who use these statistics to imply it's unsafe to go running in the park etc -- on which point, the victim usually knows the attacker about 80% of the time (PDF).

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » February 13th, 2013, 11:25 am

Rates for sexual assaults have more to do with how often the victim goes to the police rather than how often the crime is reported. If you look at victimization surveys they tend to give you different numbers. Often when someone is raped by a person they know they are reluctant to go to the police so these numbers have more to do with cultural attitudes than with how often the crime actually happens. Generally rape is less underreported in the upper Midwest than in the rest of the country so the numbers look high.

web

I know this was discussed.

Postby web » March 10th, 2013, 9:43 pm

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » March 11th, 2013, 10:49 am

Chef wrote:Rates for sexual assaults have more to do with how often the victim goes to the police rather than how often the crime is reported. If you look at victimization surveys they tend to give you different numbers. Often when someone is raped by a person they know they are reluctant to go to the police so these numbers have more to do with cultural attitudes than with how often the crime actually happens. Generally rape is less underreported in the upper Midwest than in the rest of the country so the numbers look high.
rapist should burn in whatever hell they believe in.

Return to “Anything Goes”