Living in DT St. Paul?

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Living in DT St. Paul?

Postby dmdhashw » June 21st, 2013, 1:52 pm

I found a loft that I'm thinking about renting in downtown St. Paul (Produce Exchange Building), but being a loyal Minneapolitan, I find the idea both thrilling and terrifying.

Does anyone here live in DT St. Paul? What should I consider before signing the lease?

Thanks!

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Living in DT St. Paul?

Postby David Greene » June 21st, 2013, 1:57 pm

Do you like having people around after work?

Really, no snark. That is the #1 complaint I hear from people living in Lowertown.

Lowertown has some really cool stuff so if you don't mind eerie silence after 5pm and on weekends, go for it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 21st, 2013, 2:20 pm

I'd consider it. Lowertown has changed significantly in the past 3 or 4 years since I had friends living in Galtier.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » June 21st, 2013, 2:24 pm

My sister lives at Lowertown Lofts and loves it. Once the Green Line opens next year she will only have to walk a half a block to get on it, which is also great. Whenever I have been to Lowertown at night to visit her, Mears Park and the surrounding area/retail seemed to be buzzing with people walking their dogs. The bars also seem to be pretty busy whenever I am there but beyond that Lowertown/Mears park area it seems pretty dead. The Farmers Market is right there, too, which is nice.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 22nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

If I worked anywhere in the vicinity of downtown St. Paul I'd totally live there. It can really only get better going forward. There will never be a strong retail presence due to the success of Grand Ave and Midway, but that stuff is pretty accessible from downtown. I think the cafe/bar/restaurant offerings will improve. I also predict more class-B type older office buildings being converted to residential.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 25th, 2013, 5:49 pm

It depends on what kind of flavor you're looking for. Myself, I could only see me regularly visiting The Amsterdam and Black Dog and maybe Station 4...that's pretty much it unless you have a penchant for suburbanite yuppie bars. At least there's a farmers' market right there and some dining options too.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » June 27th, 2013, 4:18 pm

The other consideration is that I currently work in Plymouth, which would mean dealing with a pretty gnarly commute... Unless one of you knows of a super secret way to get from DT St. Paul to Plymouth, MN. :D

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » June 27th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I'd love to...awesome place. But I work in Bloomington.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » July 26th, 2013, 8:14 am

Two advantages that haven't been mentioned are crepes at the summer stand at Meritage and proximity to Heimie's.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 26th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Yeah, I hear lots of people like living in suburban bedroom communities :-P

I kid, I kid. Actually, living right in Lowertown could be pretty great if you work at any of the job centers along the Green Line - urban (not suburban, I was joking) living at lower prices than Minneapolis, with everything you need nearby and a short transit ride to work. For instance, I work at the U and Lowertown could be pretty great for U employees.

Return to “Anything Goes”