Gentrification

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Gentrification

Postby EOst » October 21st, 2016, 2:40 pm

But what was a 3-bedroom near W. Broadway in 2005? Saying that they're comparably expensive now doesn't really prove anything; the relative price increase for Frogtown could have been much higher.

You also aren't doing a study, just looking at what's readily available. There could be (not saying there are) more sub-1100 3bdrms that just disappear quickly.

(Having said that, I can't find a sub-1100 3 bedroom on the East Side either, or virtually anywhere else.)

(But I don't think most landlords in Payne-Phalen ask for 3x rent-to-income.)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 21st, 2016, 3:01 pm

Of course we need post 2013 data, but pg. 35-36 shows 2005 vs 2009-2013 rents.

http://www1.law.umn.edu/uploads/57/8c/5 ... y-2016.pdf

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 21st, 2016, 3:18 pm

I'm not sure how much that study proves. The "Thomas-Dale/North End" neighborhood as a whole doesn't show much change, but it's also such a large and varied area that decreases in one subarea could be masking increases in another. The part of that considered "Frogtown" is only about 1/4-1/3 of the total.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 17th, 2016, 8:56 am

Proposal in Montreal to limit gentrification by restricting restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... are_btn_tw

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 18th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Gentrification accelerates in Minneapolis and St. Paul
High apartment rents are outpricing homes and pressuring the poor.
http://www.startribune.com/gentrificati ... 401987055/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 28th, 2016, 11:26 am

PLGTMD
Block E

Postby PLGTMD » November 29th, 2016, 9:31 am

What's the best way to remedy this? Are developers not interested in lower-wealth development in other parts of the city? That would seem odd considering the growing demand for it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Boom.
http://www.startribune.com/counterpoint ... 403874986/
Counterpoint: Gentrification isn't the rental problem; poverty is

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 30th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Penned by our very own WHS.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 1st, 2016, 8:15 am

I hate to admit it, but there is some merit to the arguments made by the (always irate?) commenters; namely, how much of this steep decline (44%!) in wages is led by the influx of non-earning, or very-low-earning refugees/immigrants, who happen to be of color?

I think we need a much more complex demographic breakdown to really make the conclusions submitted by the author. Still a good read, though.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 1st, 2016, 9:23 am

Minneapolis rents have really only gone up $48 since 2000? That's another area where I'd be curious to see the specifics of how that's played out.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » December 1st, 2016, 10:19 am

I hate to admit it, but there is some merit to the arguments made by the (always irate?) commenters; namely, how much of this steep decline (44%!) in wages is led by the influx of non-earning, or very-low-earning refugees/immigrants, who happen to be of color?

I think we need a much more complex demographic breakdown to really make the conclusions submitted by the author. Still a good read, though.
The cause of higher poverty rates is very important. It is also not an argument against the article. The point of that editorial was that poverty is the problem, not gentrification. Rents will go up because of inflation even if all you are doing is maintaining a mediocre building. The alternative is to let a building degrade into a slum. The city fights hard to stop that from happening.

The cause of higher poverty does not change the fact that higher poverty is the root of the problem and solving poverty is the only real solution. How best to do that is of course a matter of debate.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » December 1st, 2016, 11:12 am

So we did look at what caused the decline in incomes, and the answer seems to be a combination of real income stagnation and decline, geographic sorting - middle-class black families flee concentrated poverty and move to the suburbs like middle-class families of all stripes - and, yes, a large number of low-income new arrivals. Determining the exact proportion to which each factor is responsible is tricky. But like BoredAgain points out, in some ways, you don't need to know the precise cause of intensifying central city poverty to realize that it, and not gentrification, is behind the loss of affordability that's raising concerns.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » December 1st, 2016, 8:00 pm

CM Cano held a forum on gentrification tonight, from which my main takeaway was that she's going to try to institute rent control which is... well, counterintuitive.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 1st, 2016, 10:43 pm

Cano proposes rent control.

If by counter-intuitive you meant entirely predictable, then I agree.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 2nd, 2016, 7:20 am

Counterproductive is a better description than counterintuitiive.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 2nd, 2016, 9:06 am

The end of the forum included everyone participating in a "Rent Control! Rent Control!" chant. No joke, there's video.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

So wait did you actually go Matt?

Also I saw on Twitter it came up that Gentrification is as much about keeping certain kinds of people out as it is with kicking those same people out. How does that square with the idea that I also saw on Twitter that we can't build our way out of Gentrification? Seems kind of counterintuitive to fight for more affordable housing to be built if it just causes gentrification no matter what.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » December 2nd, 2016, 10:17 am

One new concept for me at the forum was the idea of "exclusionary displacement," which is displacement that ostensibly takes place when low-income people of color can't move into a new neighborhood because housing costs in that neighborhood are too high.

And hey, if "exclusionary displacement" is gentrification, then they're right - we've got gentrification all over the region, it's a major problem, and we should definitely resolve it with a concerted effort to build affordable housing in Minnetonka, Edina, and Southwest Minneapolis.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » December 2nd, 2016, 10:18 am

(Strange moment here at 37:50 where Cano and the crowd try to figure out whether the Minneapolis budget is $1.3 million or $1.3 billion: https://www.facebook.com/peopleforalond ... =2&theater)