Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby Nathan » October 7th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Awesome! I love what's going on in the Bid D :)

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 7th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Just checking the strib app before I doze off and I see this nice article highlighting strong towns and its founder. On the front page. At least until AP goes to trial.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 69011.html

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 7th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Twin Cities ranked among most innovative in US by CNN Money. Highlights Green Line. You'll never guess who we're ranked just behind.
It was on my guess list. Honestly, people aren't really paying attention to what's actually happening in Detroit. For all these years we've been hearing what a craphole it is while the city has really moved on some great stuff over that time. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 20th, 2014, 7:38 am

Neat article on Minneapolis in the 1930s, enjoy!

1930s Minneapolis

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 23rd, 2014, 10:22 am

http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2014/ ... xial-views
“I think people think about skylines too much,” [Joe Scott] told [Bill Lindeke] this week. “The skyline is just an incidental thing. It doesn’t really tell you much about the city. Most of the buildings look pretty similar, and if you’re observing skyline you’re automatically not there, you’re somewhere else looking at it. It’s a shallow representation.”

#FightingWords

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 23rd, 2014, 11:33 am

i don't discount the power of good buildings. A minnesotan puts IDS tower and minneapolis together. i think this became a "bigger" city just from that one building going up. someone from outstate may have never visited our great parks, things for which locals identify as being of this place and projecting our image. i don't belive skyline to be incidental. IDS rose from the aspirations and dreams of civic minded locals. it instantly became the most powerful placemaker for mpls.

these are not shallow representations. they have meaning. sense of pride, whatever.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 27th, 2014, 10:24 am

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/280526212.html

Northfield wins best place to retire in US from Money magazine.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 28th, 2014, 8:31 am

Alright! What do they win?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 8:42 am

Alright! What do they win?
more old people to keep the mayo busy!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 4th, 2014, 9:12 am

Good review. Hope the momentum continues. http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 80231.html

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » November 6th, 2014, 10:09 am

Did anyone see this comment?

"Seems like Minneapolis needs an iconic landmark like the Seattle Space Needle or the St. Louis Gateway Arch kind of thing ...or even a taller business building than the current 3 equal buildings look. Then again, I guess when the Vikings stadium is done it will look like a giant turtle is attacking the city so that will be kind of cool!"

Gave me a good laugh! LOL

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 6th, 2014, 11:01 am

Random nugget from NYC's Exxon Building's Wikipedia page:

"...even though 1251 Avenue of the Americas is approximately as tall as the tallest buildings in cities like Boston or Minneapolis, it has almost no presence on the New York City skyline."

I guess it's fairly accurate, though.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 19th, 2014, 3:22 pm

"Choose One, Millennials: Upward Mobility or Affordable Housing"

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/11/ ... ng/382953/

Might not come as a surprise, but the cities with the greatest inter-generational upward mobility also have the least affordable housing based on median income. There are only three cities that have top 10 upward mobility and >50% affordability, Salt Lake City, Pittsburgh, and you guessed it Minneapolis. The controversial thing is the author tries to conflate this with the traditional idea of the American Dream, ending "[...] the best advice for young people seeking the American Dream isn't "Go West, young man" or "Go East, young woman." It's "Check out Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City."

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 19th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Anyone going to this event at the Walker?

http://bringmethenews.com/2014/11/19/sh ... e-fitting/

I've lived in MN my entire life and I TOTALLY agree that we should be the capital of the North, leave the Midwest to Iowa. :)

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 19th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I totally embrace this "North" idea. It kind of provides a dichotomy between us and the south as well. Stereotypes about the south are rarely kind. I imagine the North branding could signify progressive, well-educated, innovative culture.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 19th, 2014, 4:39 pm

I'm growing to like the idea of making "The North" a thing. In my mental map its Minnesota, Wisconsin west and north of a line from Green Bay to Madison, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, North and South Dakota, maybe far eastern Montana.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 19th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Yeah I can totally see the UP being "North" but the LP being "Midwest" furthering the divide between the two.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 20th, 2014, 12:46 am

I like this. I should look up some maps because I'm not actually certain how the majority of the state is made up, land-wise. I tend to think of it as more north woods and less farm land.

Anecdote: I studied in Mexico last semester, and always described Minnesota as being "in the north" of the US, which everyone understood. I don't think "in the midwest" would have been quite as identifiable (but I don't actually know). I wonder if anyone else has similar stories. I can definitely see calling ourselves "the north" beneficial when dealing with people who don't know US geography that well.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » November 20th, 2014, 7:14 am

The Toronto Raptors already have "We the North", so we will have to tweak it to "We the North USA" ?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 20th, 2014, 7:15 am

i never thought of this either but it's so obvious. we are "north" and should embrace that. i have to admit i've thrown out, "it's sorta near chicago" to describe where i'm from for instance when i back packed through europe. it's the most obvious frame of reference for "midwest". i found people were not as familiar with the term midwest but know our large cities well. and when i said minneapolis, i would then say, "prince is from here". and they all know prince lol.

prince is like one of this states' best frame of reference.