Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2013, 10:20 am

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 5th, 2013, 10:25 am

That's been rolling around facebook since last night. I find it surprising they pay people to write this stuff. I often read this section of the Times just for the bad articles. Here is my personal favorite- " Some eight miles downtown are connected by skyways to shield pedestrians from snow, hail and cold, turning the area into a kind of human ant farm. For residents of Uptown, which lacks skyways, going out can be a pastime for the very hearty — or the very motivated."

If only our world-famous skyways connected 'Uptown' and Downtown- it would make dating so much easier!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 5th, 2013, 11:13 am

Somewhere there's a map of the United States separated by what people consider to be their nearest metro area. Minnesota is pretty fragmented because Minneapolis, St Paul, and Twin Cities aren't grouped together.

I found the map: (click for bigger)
The main map is based on an answer the following question: “On the level of North America as a whole, what major city do you feel has the most cultural and economic influence on your area overall?” From this, they created a map of various “spheres of influence” of cities.
http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/09/17/r ... influence/
Denver and Salt Lake City seem to be the biggest on the map. I remember once back when I was in the military and my friends and I would refer to the Twin Cities as the Cities, same with my local home town SE MN. Other people were confused and I never noticed it until someone brought it up once and they had no idea. Maybe because they didn't know us very well and where we were from so it was an eye opener. Even using the term Twin Cities was confusing for some. Then again I once dated a girl (pretty but stupid) from Corpus Christi and she thought Minneapolis was the state and Minnesota was the city. So there. Texas education system..you get what you pay for and that was back in the 70's.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 23rd, 2013, 2:33 pm

Here we are in a video posted by the International Business Times, they say we're the quintessential positive representation of the US economy.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/51582 ... -chris.htm

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » October 23rd, 2013, 10:40 pm

What an amazing video! This video is a great showcase of what MSP is already doing. I am sure many many investors, developers, and global companies will notice this story and take a closer look at what MSP is all about. With the possibility of even more world coverage coming from this story MSP seems to really begin to take its place into an even higher global city image. :D

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 24th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Here we are in a video posted by the International Business Times, they say we're the quintessential positive representation of the US economy.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/51582 ... -chris.htm
Great find fotoapparatic and thanks for sharing.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » October 25th, 2013, 7:35 pm

The narration stumbled a bit there in the middle, but it's great to have that focus on the area.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 8th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Minneapolis ranked 5th best place to live for adults under 35 based on a variety of factors.

http://www.vocativ.com/11-2013/livability/

skyrab

Postby skyrab » November 8th, 2013, 5:42 pm

nBode, that's a great link and kind of fun to scroll through the various icons:)

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 9th, 2013, 12:09 am

nBode, that's a great link and kind of fun to scroll through the various icons:)
I agree. And I think it's extremely important to attract this age group.

Here's a map put together by UW Madison that shows population change by county for various age groups..

http://www.netmigration.wisc.edu

According to this, the cities are losing population?.. I've heard the opposite. But if you chart Hennepin and Ramsey, both are showing noticeable growth in the 18-30ish range.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 12th, 2013, 1:11 am

I was thinking again about branding the Minneapolis and St. Paul area. I really do think it is important to establish a common brand for the cities. It's also in my opinion that of the various options I've heard presented (MSP, Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Minneapolis–Saint Paul, The Twin Cities, The Cities, Minnesota) that MSP is the best, for a few reasons:

1. It is already established as our airport code. While some people see this negatively, I think it gives the name a head-start. Although most laypeople do not think of airports by their code (rather the city name), it is still a title which has been in the public spectrum for a long time, and is one with (possibly) the largest general global recognition. Side Note: Since the airport serves both cities, and is nearly equidistant from them, it serves as a good titleholder, I think.

2. MSP is also the acronym for "Minneapolis Saint Paul" so even if you don't like the airport affiliation, it is just a shortened version for the names of both cities. I think this shortened "slang" name will be more popular, just for the fact that it is only three letters. Everyone likes to abbreviate things nowadays, right?

3. MSP is unique. Rather than "The Twin Cities" or "The Cities" MSP can refer to this one particular place, only. (This is aided by it being our airport code.) There are numerous "Twin Cities" in the world. And even more "The Cities" (And even that is hardly different than saying "The City" which is what everyone calls their nearest metropolitan center in passing). MSP can be unique to us.

4. Other cities are using abbreviations. Everyone knows LA, DC, and NY. And according to that article, Portland is branding themselves PDX (and MSP is way better/makes more sense than that). We can certainly pull it off, too.

That being said, I think it is hugely important that serious action is taken to unify our image. I mean an entire ad campaign. Create a new logo, slogan, etc. etc. and make sure it is being used everywhere in the cities and elsewhere.

To that end, I took the liberty to get it started with a logo idea. This is obviously just an idea of mine, and is more meant to get the ball rolling (I hope) than anything else. Make one for yourself!

I heard Betsy Hodges hopes to add over 100k new residents to Minneapolis during her term. I have no doubt St. Paul would love to do the same. I honestly think, in order to compete, we have to do something about this. People aren't going to come here if they don't know it exists, or what it has to offer.

Right now we're just not recognized. And when we are, it's much too confusing.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate any and all response.

nBode

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 12th, 2013, 11:17 pm

I think it's worth noting that AP Style, the basis for almost all newspaper/online media in this country, has a list of 30 cities that stand alone without the state, and Minneapolis is among them. Among the cities that didn't make the cut are Portland, San Jose, Orlando, Charlotte, Louisville and Memphis (although Portland is most likely because of Portland, Maine).

Other media outlets are more liberal, with many using St. Paul by itself and I believe Sports Illustrated even lets Duluth stand alone.

So despite the anecdotal evidence of random idiots who don't know geography, there is a widespread assumption that people know about Minneapolis.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 12th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Since we're sharing anecdotal stories of idiots, though, I was once in St. Louis for a Twins game and heard somebody ask why the Twins' hats said "TC." So I guess we're all screwed after all.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 12th, 2013, 11:21 pm

It took me a while to figure out why we were the Twins, and even longer to figure out what the TC stands for. In my defense I don't give a crap about baseball.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2013, 9:15 am

the Huffington post is bragging us up!

http://huff.to/1bIT2pb

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 19th, 2013, 9:57 am

In an index of housing affordability, Minneapolis-St. Paul ranked as cheaper than comparable cities like Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, both Portlands (Maine and Oregon) and Austin, according to the Center for Housing Policy and the National Housing Conference.
I love this line not because of affordability but because it implies that Boston and Philadelphia are peer cities to Minneapolis. That's total fiction, but it's the kind of aspirational fiction that appeals to Minneapolis' hopes for the future.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » November 21st, 2013, 8:50 pm

I love this line not because of affordability but because it implies that Boston and Philadelphia are peer cities to Minneapolis. That's total fiction, but it's the kind of aspirational fiction that appeals to Minneapolis' hopes for the future.
Yeah...but it also suggests that Portland, Maine is our peer. And, well, Seattle and Philadelphia's peer. I think it's mainly just bad writing.

at40man
Rice Park

55101 is HIPPEST Zip

Postby at40man » November 21st, 2013, 11:23 pm

web

Re: 55101 is HIPPEST Zip

Postby web » November 21st, 2013, 11:24 pm

looking at the list. lowertown still being relatively cheap and affordable made 55101 score so high!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 13th, 2013, 10:43 am

http://www.psfk.com/2013/11/minneapolis ... ncoln.html
PSFK selects the best cities that will refresh your creativity, like Minneapolis that offers big-city culture with small-town authenticity.