Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby mamundsen » November 15th, 2012, 2:51 pm

If the 90's cleans up too much, the Brass Rail and Auggies will need to do something. Anyone know why the corner store has been empty for so long?

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » November 15th, 2012, 2:53 pm

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 15th, 2012, 3:59 pm

The Brass Rail is actually in A LOT better shape than the 90s. They actually made that building look relatively decent on the outside, and nice on the inside.

About the 90s, I don't understand why the city wouldn't let them have their marquee. Though I doubt it would have happened anyway. The owner has been saying he would update the outside of that building for years, and none of the plans have ever happened. I am surprised they even got a new sign.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 15th, 2012, 5:38 pm

I agree with some of the comments on the Star Tribune article - the city can't make up it's mind. One minute it wants Hennepin Avenue to be like Times Square, the next minute "Oh no - that sign is too big and bright...". I would've liked to have seen the new marquee, as well as other building improvements (like windows and restored terra cotta). Didn't the movie theatre on Block E post showtimes? What's the difference for the 90's to post drag showtimes? Lol.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 15th, 2012, 5:44 pm

What's the difference for the 90's to post drag showtimes? Lol.
20 year old boys in g-strings...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 15th, 2012, 6:32 pm

And the sign the requested had moving words...which i guess the city doesn't like.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 17th, 2012, 12:59 am

And the sign the requested had moving words...which i guess the city doesn't like.
Unless it's on the Cowles.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 17th, 2012, 11:27 am

There is a residential high-rise on the block to the north of the 90s. I believe City staff had an issue with the part of the sign facing north, in that around 75 apartments would then have flashing lights broadcast into their living room until 2am every night.
"Who rescued whom!"

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » November 17th, 2012, 11:39 am

Unless it's on the Cowles.
I still think those signs are awful... Maybe that's why everyone else is getting grief for wanting them. Cowles needs some higher resolution panels.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » December 5th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Ok, I've got another one. I was in Auckland, NZ several years ago, and noticed they have a different method for pedestrian crossing at intersections in their downtown. The traffic lights work as normal for the cars, but pedestrians cannot cross when the traffic is moving. Instead, there is a period when all directions of traffic at an intersection have a red light, and the pedestrians have the Walk signals. At that point, pedestrians can walk freely in any direction - across the street or diagonally to the opposite corner.

It seemed like a much safer way of pedestrian/traffic control - with no cars moving dring the Walk period, there isn't the danger of a turning car hitting a legally crossing pedestrian. In addition, there also isn't the issue of straggler pedestrians in the intersection (when their Walk signs have ended! :evil: ) slowing up turning traffic... that's a huge pet peeve of mine!

Eóin
Block E

Postby Eóin » December 5th, 2012, 2:54 pm

The intersection of Pleasant and Arlington at the U of M does that. The intersection definitely feels like priority is given to pedestrians which is much different than most other intersections.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm

The traffic lights work as normal for the cars, but pedestrians cannot cross when the traffic is moving. Instead, there is a period when all directions of traffic at an intersection have a red light, and the pedestrians have the Walk signals. At that point, pedestrians can walk freely in any direction - across the street or diagonally to the opposite corner.
This is known as a Barnes Dance. Historically it was done in response to large pedestrian volumes, but it seems the U of M example is more about the high volume of turns. I experienced some in New Orleans a couple months ago - some of those allowed pedestrians to cross at phases other than the Barnes Dance, and some didn't. The ones that restricted pedestrian movement outside the Barnes Dance didn't seem to have that many turning movements - I just assumed they were broken like everything else in New Orleans.
"Who rescued whom!"

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » December 9th, 2012, 8:01 pm

The 2 skyways going over Hennepin Ave. should be lit up If the city is trying to make the street look more like Time Square.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 9th, 2012, 8:52 pm

The 2 skyways going over Hennepin Ave. should be lit up If the city is trying to make the street look more like Time Square.
Could do the one as part of a Block E renovation

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 10th, 2012, 12:17 am

Could do the one as part of a Block E renovation
As a city that is known for it's "skywalks", I always wondered why none were lit more dramatically, etc. Definitely would like to see those crossing Hennepin lit up. Maybe a small moving "spot light" that shot up into the sky.

Another idea I had in terms of "greening" the city, was to incorporate plants on the exterior of the skyways. Could be as simple as adding a ledge on both sides of the exterior and putting flower boxes on them. Would be cool to see vines/flowers hanging/growing on them.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 10th, 2012, 1:48 am

Another idea I had in terms of "greening" the city, was to incorporate plants on the exterior of the skyways. Could be as simple as adding a ledge on both sides of the exterior and putting flower boxes on them. Would be cool to see vines/flowers hanging/growing on them.
Being that this is the Fantasies and Speculations thread I'm not use to seeing such simple rational ideas here but I like this idea. For that matter probably wouldn't be impossible to have some vegetation inside too.

MS3

Re: Convention Center Hotel - (330 South 12th Street)

Postby MS3 » April 9th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I don't think a sleek 600' tower in this location would stick out like a soar thumb. Somebody posted pics of one here a few posts back and it looked awesome in our skyline. Look what the Carlisle did to add to our skyline and draw it northeast. It makes the view from the new 35w bridge awesome. If we were like Atlanta, we would have a tower on lake st and another one or two on diamond lake rd. I think Johns 100% right- a few more tall buildings and our skyline would be one of the most impressive. I just feel we need one of those few to be a supertall. And regardless what anyone says on here, Minneapolis can support the market for one.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 10th, 2013, 5:33 am

I don't think a sleek 600' tower in this location would stick out like a soar thumb. Somebody posted pics of one here a few posts back and it looked awesome in our skyline. Look what the Carlisle did to add to our skyline and draw it northeast. It makes the view from the new 35w bridge awesome. If we were like Atlanta, we would have a tower on lake st and another one or two on diamond lake rd. I think Johns 100% right- a few more tall buildings and our skyline would be one of the most impressive. I just feel we need one of those few to be a supertall. And regardless what anyone says on here, Minneapolis can support the market for one.
Ha. you're right... about the Atlanta thing. But... the "grand view" of Minneapolis is from the south. A tall building would look massive from that perspective... and would overshadow the rest of the skyline. I'd have to see renderings, but as of now I'm not fully onboard. As if there is anything to really board. Or as if anyone really cared what I think...

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » April 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with you mbp on the "grand view" of Mpls, and of course - this is subjective to our own taste. While I like the view coming up 35W, the view coming down 35W around Stinson makes Mpls look like a metropolis from a movie. I absolutely love this view. The only issue I would possibly have with where the Convention Center Hotel would go is that I'm not sure it would participate from this view.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » April 10th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with you mbp on the "grand view" of Mpls, and of course - this is subjective to our own taste. While I like the view coming up 35W, the view coming down 35W around Stinson makes Mpls look like a metropolis from a movie. I absolutely love this view. The only issue I would possibly have with where the Convention Center Hotel would go is that I'm not sure it would participate from this view.
i agree, love that view, plus the View coming down University