Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
User avatar
Avian
Union Depot
Posts: 395
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 6:56 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Avian » January 21st, 2014, 1:36 pm

Oh, what the hell.. I was curious about the proportions of the Nic on Fifth if it were a much taller building (an issue that has had much hand-wringing about it, even today). So, here's a quick study. :twisted:

Image

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

User avatar
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1287
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:22 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby mister.shoes » January 21st, 2014, 1:44 pm

Awesome. Tell 'em to keep building ;)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2248
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby John » January 21st, 2014, 5:19 pm

:lol: Looks about the right proportion now. Thanks Avian!

User avatar
Anondson
IDS Center
Posts: 4027
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Anondson » January 21st, 2014, 5:43 pm

Now that's what I'm looking for!

City slicker

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby City slicker » January 21st, 2014, 7:58 pm

It's almost twice as tall but looks 10 times better.

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2248
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby John » January 21st, 2014, 8:48 pm

Unfortunately , Opus couldn't get the financing for their original 33 story design which was better. I can't fault them for that as lenders were wary and we just were coming out the "Great Recession". However, I do think they should have modified the shorter design so the massing was less boxy and more sophisticated for such a prominent site on Nicollet Mall . They could have been done that fairly easily which a much better aesthetic outcome at 26 stories. My criticism now was both Opus and ESG architects were unimaginative , if not a bit lazy in coming to a better design solution.

Here's an example of an apartment tower proposal that's about 22 stories in Kansas City. Much better design that responds nicely to the urban setting with a little more pizazz (than Nic on Fifth) even though it's also not really tall:
Image

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1544
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby talindsay » January 21st, 2014, 9:15 pm

That 49 story version looks about as graceful as the Multifoods tower.

sushisimo
Landmark Center
Posts: 232
Joined: June 2nd, 2012, 3:47 pm

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby sushisimo » January 21st, 2014, 9:17 pm

talindsay wrote:That 49 story version looks about as graceful as the Multifoods tower.
That was my exact thought. One is enough of those.

uptown067
Metrodome
Posts: 89
Joined: June 9th, 2012, 9:37 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby uptown067 » January 21st, 2014, 9:53 pm

John wrote:Unfortunately , Opus couldn't get the financing for their original 33 story design which was better. I can't fault them for that as lenders were wary and we just were coming out the "Great Recession". However, I do think they should have modified the shorter design so the massing was less boxy and more sophisticated for such a prominent site on Nicollet Mall . They could have been done that fairly easily which a much better aesthetic outcome at 26 stories. My criticism now was both Opus and ESG architects were unimaginative , if not a bit lazy in coming to a better design solution.

Here's an example of an apartment tower proposal that's about 22 stories in Kansas City. Much better design that responds nicely to the urban setting with a little more pizazz (than Nic on Fifth) even though it's also not really tall:
Image
I'm having a difficult time understanding why you think this is so much better than Nic on Fifth? It's essentially the same design. And I would even argue that the Nic has more going on at the street level; a much more enhanced pedestrian experience. Do you have any specific recommendations on making the design more imaginative?

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2248
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby John » January 22nd, 2014, 9:44 am

^^^Agree , it does resemble Nic on Fifth, but its not so plain. They break up the massing a bit more so its not completely a box and the have a more interesting cantilevered top with different heights. Agree the street level of Nic on Fifth is good. Actually the street level is the redeeming quality that makes Nic a decent project IMO.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 664
Joined: January 15th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Minneboy » January 22nd, 2014, 9:48 am

sushisimo wrote:
talindsay wrote:That 49 story version looks about as graceful as the Multifoods tower.
That was my exact thought. One is enough of those.
Ha, was mine as well.

kregger22

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby kregger22 » January 22nd, 2014, 12:59 pm

Couldn't agree with John more.

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center
Posts: 288
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 8:22 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 29th, 2014, 9:52 pm

I've been thinking that one thing the cities have been missing is a great centrally located outdoor music venue, preferably an amphitheater. So I started playing around with Google Maps and I realized that a great location would be north bank of the Mississippi right next to the end of the Stone Arch Bridge. It would have an amazing view of the river and falls not to mention depending how you exactly orient the seating a great view of the downtown skyline from the new Vikings Stadium all the way to the Carlyle.

I wouldn't think the programing wouldn't be overly difficult either, look at the success that the Music in the Zoo series has had, you could do the same thing there as well.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1105
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 10:01 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby mamundsen » January 29th, 2014, 9:55 pm

There actually is a small outdoor stage right there. (We are talking about the St Anthony side right?)

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center
Posts: 288
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 8:22 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 29th, 2014, 11:12 pm

mamundsen wrote:There actually is a small outdoor stage right there. (We are talking about the St Anthony side right?)
Yes, St. Anthony side. I see it now I originally thought it was a gazebo or something. But I'm thinking about something with a much larger capacity.

Didier
Capella Tower
Posts: 2430
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Location: MSP

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Didier » January 29th, 2014, 11:20 pm

That was where the Today show set was going to go in my homemade Twin Cities Olympic bid.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 120
Joined: May 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Location: Capital of the North

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Gman12 » January 30th, 2014, 9:48 am

I don't think you would be able to see the falls from here, that peninsula with trees is in the way. /nitpick

User avatar
Visualizer
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 183
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Location: @kyrilnegoda

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Visualizer » February 8th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Image

EMBIGGEN: https://i.imgur.com/s7t2PZx.jpg

- Develop on all existing surface parking
- Develop Downtown East / Elliot Park as a live/play district
- Establish "green" avenues along Nicollet and Hennepin
- Building mini-golf driving range on the roof of Ramp A
- Build parks over I394. Build additional pocket parks to serve as neighborhood anchors
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1544
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby talindsay » February 8th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Not sure about the other parts but I really like the parks over 394. Personally, I'd like to see some development over the freeway too, not *all* parks, but parks may be a good first step.

MSPtoMKE
Target Field
Posts: 503
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 8:15 pm
Location: Loring Heights
Contact:

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 8th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Visualizer wrote: - Develop on all existing surface parking
- Develop Downtown East / Elliot Park as a live/play district
- Establish "green" avenues along Nicollet and Hennepin
- Building mini-golf driving range on the roof of Ramp A
- Build parks over I394. Build additional pocket parks to serve as neighborhood anchors
You forgot:

- Move Downtown St. Paul to the site of the Metrodome. ;)
My flickr photos.


Return to “Anything Goes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest