Google Maps

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mulad

Re: Google Maps

Postby mulad » May 7th, 2015, 7:44 am

Huh. I'm also noticing that they did some processing to hide cars on highways and many streets -- vehicles mostly only show up if they've been parked long enough to be around for more than one pass by the aircraft that did the scanning.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 8th, 2015, 11:19 am

woofner wrote:
I just don't understand why it would be considered an improvement to have less detailed, uglier images.
This is Google we're talking about. Why improve your services if everyone already uses them? (sarcasm/rhetorical)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » May 10th, 2015, 2:43 am

Is anybody else getting many paid advertisements located directly on the Google maps? Now that I'm forced to use the new maps since they discontinued classic I notice when I was searching for tanning salons downtown I got an advertisement that looked like a business downtown but when I clicked it, turned out to be somewhere in the suburbs. Seems pretty odd they would advertise in such an intrusive way. Does that happen to anyone else?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 11th, 2015, 12:07 pm

That's Google's business model in a nutshell: sell sell sell ads ads ads ads! Monetize eyeballs!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 17th, 2015, 7:32 am

So before Google maps killed off the 45 degree imagery a year or so ago, the most recent 45 degree flyovers were taken in early 2011 (to the best of my recollection). The standard aerial imagery has since been updated twice, in fall 2012 and again in fall 2014.

BUT! There appears to be much more recent 45 degree imagery. The problem is accessing it, since you cannot do so through standard Google Maps.

Check this out though. In this Google Map embedded in an UrbanMSP post, if you zoom in far enough, it will actually switch to the new 45 degree imagery!! https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 100#p76197

What gives? Why are they still flying new 45 degree imagery if it's not accessible via regular Maps? I'm guessing it's an accident that it's accessible at all through these embedded maps.

Can anyone provide a link (or create a web page of their own) where one could use this backdoor to view the new 45 degree stuff in a larger window?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 17th, 2015, 9:09 am

I have to assume they're shooting 45° imagery to make their 3D views. I can't think of any other way to build up the textures that get applied to the 3D wireframes without shooting from the side. But for whatever reason (Apple Maps, I presume), Google has decided that the whiz-bang 3D spin-and-pan approach is a better user experience than high-res 45° images shot from [only] four different directions.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 24th, 2015, 10:00 am

Is there any way to filter / show only paved roads? We have an abundance of 55 MPH rural paved county roads in Minnesota. Even though I think we have too many, I like to drive them in the meantime (especially to avoid congestion or to avoid routes with which I am bored). The problem is that they are not consistently named or numbered county to county, so I often have to plan routes ahead of time. I wish there was a way to filter routes this way. Any ideas?

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » June 27th, 2015, 10:47 pm

twincitizen wrote:So before Google maps killed off the 45 degree imagery a year or so ago, the most recent 45 degree flyovers were taken in early 2011 (to the best of my recollection). The standard aerial imagery has since been updated twice, in fall 2012 and again in fall 2014.

BUT! There appears to be much more recent 45 degree imagery. The problem is accessing it, since you cannot do so through standard Google Maps.

Check this out though. In this Google Map embedded in an UrbanMSP post, if you zoom in far enough, it will actually switch to the new 45 degree imagery!! https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 100#p76197

What gives? Why are they still flying new 45 degree imagery if it's not accessible via regular Maps? I'm guessing it's an accident that it's accessible at all through these embedded maps.

Can anyone provide a link (or create a web page of their own) where one could use this backdoor to view the new 45 degree stuff in a larger window?

This site HERE has an option to view the classic google maps on a bit bigger window, at least on my Mac computer it looks pretty big. Maybe that will help you a bit more?

Actually after doing a little digging I found THIS url http://gokml.net/maps

:D Pretty neat find!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2015, 8:01 am

That is awesome, BTW. Thanks! Definitely going to use that to get screengrabs of recent 45 degree stuff for work projects and such. It's pretty dumb that Google hides the 45 degree imagery from standard users, instead only displaying the 3D rendered buildings.

In other news, ghostbus: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8835638 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 5th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Looks like Google has updated some of the streets and roads around the cities to July 2015 photos

View of Downtown Minneapolis from 35W over the river
Latitude 45 from Washington Ave

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 5th, 2015, 4:13 pm

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 5th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Look to the left, they caught a guy Nice Riding in a Suit :D

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 5th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Describe the new downtown in one picture: Development, nice ride man in suit, pedestrian safety work in progress, and bike lanes.

The new streetview actually covers a lot of downtown. A lot of cool transformation in a year. Can't wait to see it next year, assuming Google will probably be able to update street view more and more as technology and their company evolves.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 8th, 2015, 8:29 am

FISHMANPET wrote:Look to the left, they caught a guy Nice Riding in a Suit :D
Did that last week (tie was in my pocket, though).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 12:52 pm

This may be fixed by the time people look at it, but right now a Google Maps search shows that the city of Minneapolis has de-annexed it's southern third. Apparently I now live in the township of Richfield.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 14th, 2015, 1:20 pm

MNdible wrote:This may be fixed by the time people look at it, but right now a Google Maps search shows that the city of Minneapolis has de-annexed it's southern third. Apparently I now live in the township of Richfield.
huh

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 14th, 2015, 3:04 pm

A weird diagonal line extending from W 28th St to E 26th St.

Also, is that little pocket to the west of Ryan Lake up northwest accurate? I never realized it was there if it is.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 14th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I don't think it's quite right. I'm not sure what the most authoritative source is for Minneapolis's border, but the city zoning map is probably pretty accurate: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/zoningm ... maps_index

That shows a tab extending out into the lake. The northern side hugs the CP rail line really closely, and then it goes straight south after getting 3/4 or so of the way across the lake.

Rube Dali
Metrodome

Postby Rube Dali » September 21st, 2015, 2:41 pm

Suburban Outcast wrote:Looks like Google has updated some of the streets and roads around the cities to July 2015 photos

View of Downtown Minneapolis from 35W over the river
Latitude 45 from Washington Ave
I'm still waiting for my area to get updated photos. Some of the areas haven't been updated since 2007. :evil:
Buildings, what buildings?

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » September 30th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Meet me in Wells

Return to “Anything Goes”