Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
trigonalmayhem

Re: Google Maps

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 9th, 2015, 11:02 am

With all the development going on here yearly is definitely needed to keep up with the huge amount of changes to the cityscape.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 9th, 2015, 11:49 am

I hadn't realized Street View had a history timeline. My house looks the same as it did in 2007, but it was fun to scroll through the the empty lot becoming a community garden over the years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 9th, 2015, 12:46 pm

You're about to have a lot of fun with that fehler.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 9th, 2015, 12:48 pm

You guys are lucky. My street hasn't been updated(and unfortunately, won't be until next year).
Buildings, what buildings?

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 9th, 2015, 2:11 pm

You guys are lucky. My street hasn't been updated(and unfortunately, won't be until next year).
I should have said updated on Street View, the overall map has been updated.
Buildings, what buildings?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Based on past behavior, the new imagery should be rolled out to (browser) Google Maps in a few weeks or so, though perhaps it takes a little longer now with the whole 3D rendering deal. As others have said, the 3D buildings/trees/etc were actually based on the 45 degree imagery, so they would have to have flown that at the same time. In the past, Google's top-down images and 45 degree images have not appeared to be from the same dates...so we'll see.

Note: the capability to capture 45 degree and regular top-down imagery from the same plane, at the same time definitely exists. It has just been my observation that Google's were not necessarily synced up in the past.
UPDATE: If you turn off 3D or use lite mode, the new aerial images are indeed updated. I stand by my earlier assumption that the 3D rollout will take some time. For the time being though, browser users will likely want to turn 3D off, as I have done.

12-2015Gmaps by Matt Brillhart, on Flickr

P.S. I don't like how dark the new imagery looks. Google needs to get wise and fly their imagery in April, like right after the snow has melted, but before the trees have bloomed. The technical usefulness of the imagery is diminished by trees in full bloom.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 9th, 2015, 9:27 pm

P.S. I don't like how dark the new imagery looks. Google needs to get wise and fly their imagery in April, like right after the snow has melted, but before the trees have bloomed. The technical usefulness of the imagery is diminished by trees in full bloom.

AS is the 3d modeling. So many trees blocking out our low rise cityscape.

Also fun to see my yard last year in 3d as a horrible mud pit and then this year aerial with landscaping and my completed addition. :D Can they do a 3d modeling timeline toggle too?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 10th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Can Google Street Maps predict area household income?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... me/419214/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 11th, 2016, 11:11 am

This may be embarrassingly obvious, but it's just dawned on me that the Google Maps 3D imagery doesn't show any moving cars on roads -- only parked cars. Presumably, this is because the 3D imagery is taken by plane in pretty rapid succession, but not simultaneously, so that a moving car would not be in the same location when the computers try to stitch the images together. Anyway, it's strange to see no traffic whatsoever on the roads.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 11th, 2016, 11:32 am

Actually they have an algorithm to remove cars based on multiple aerials of a particular place. If it looks like a car to the computer and isn't in the same place on multiple aerials, it's removed.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 29th, 2016, 12:11 pm

I don't know if this is old news and I only just noticed (I remember it being until about the city limits before?), but the 3D map has expanded way far out into the suburbs. You can now see pretty close details of buildings in Minnetrista and East Bethel, if you want them.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 29th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Beige vinyl looks the same from any angle :mrgreen:
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » January 29th, 2016, 4:05 pm

There's a giant N-S hole roughly between Lake Phalen and 694 in the East Metro. :(

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 3rd, 2016, 7:50 pm

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 3rd, 2016, 10:38 pm

The woman in the article that kicked off the reporting (Ashley) is a good friend of mine. This has been a problem for her at the camp for years, but posting the sign (and then blogging about it) was recent. She appeared on Good Morning America a few days ago. I find the entire situation hilarious.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 12th, 2016, 9:30 am

For those curious how far they are from the tornado sirens that woke us all up this morning:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... Q&hl=en_US

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 12th, 2016, 9:48 am

We're not that far away and I still didn't hear it. Unfortunate side effect of the MAC settlement? Or fortunate?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 14th, 2016, 11:02 am

Interview with a Google Street View Driver: https://medium.com/message/an-interview ... .4m6qm1s5g

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 14th, 2016, 11:11 am

It is fun capturing the city in what I believe will be represented for a long time. It’s a really interesting venture and with all of the emerging technology, it’ll be interesting to see how it progresses and will be utilized. It is really just a novelty, but can be helpful to see what the front of a house or business looks like before you get there.
This is honestly one of the best things about Google Streetview now. They captured North Mpls almost weeks after the tornados. It's depressing to see it all, but at the same time, it's in our history.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 14th, 2016, 11:18 am

And another great thing about it is that you can go back in time and see what things looked like when prior Street View drivers drove through.