Video Games

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Video Games

Postby FISHMANPET » February 23rd, 2015, 10:44 am

Nick play Euro Truck Simulator 2 with me. Drive around Europe with truckloads of Fireworks and Tomatoes, and drive through fancy European roundabouts.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 11:07 am

Is anyone else getting super excited for Cities: Skylines to come out next month? It looks like it'll be what last year's simcity *should* have been.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 23rd, 2015, 11:08 am

Oh man it's the same guys that did Cities in Motion I should really get this on my radar.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 23rd, 2015, 11:11 am

Also, I got an email from Green Man Gaming, which is basically a Steam reseller that I've used a few times in the past, offering 25% off on Cities Skylines preorder, so for $22.50 I can hardly say no.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 11:12 am

I've already pre-ordered it. I spent way too much time crafting a city in CIM2 that I never even put up on the workshop to share because it never quite felt finished. Now it probably never will be because this is coming out so soon.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 23rd, 2015, 11:36 am

I don't know if anyone holds Homeworld in their heart the way I do, but there's a Remastered edition being released on Wednesday, and for the next ~22 hours it's 15% off, so $30 instead of $35.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 23rd, 2015, 11:52 am

Ha! That's the only other game I'm excited for in the near future.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 24th, 2015, 12:52 am

I got a new game called Dyson vacuum cleaner today and I am addicted
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 24th, 2015, 11:07 am

I got a new game called Dyson vacuum cleaner today and I am addicted
Next time get the one called Roomba! Mesmerizing! I can't look away when mine is on :-)

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » February 24th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Is anyone else getting super excited for Cities: Skylines to come out next month?
Well, NOW I am. This is the first I've heard of it but that looks fantastic. And somehow cheaper on release day than Sim City how long after release?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 25th, 2015, 11:45 am

Most exciting part of Skylines isn't the release but what modders will be able to do with it. SC4 players know that the modding community has well outlived EA's support of the game. But Colossal Order is going all-in on modding and flexibility, and just released their detailed modding notes, for any model makers or programmers that are interested.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » February 27th, 2015, 5:58 pm

I enjoyed CiM, but it is impossible for the game to not be horrifyingly laggy. This includes my laptop that I got last week. And I'm talking about CiM 1, which came out 4 years ago.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » March 2nd, 2015, 11:54 am

I enjoyed CiM, but it is impossible for the game to not be horrifyingly laggy. This includes my laptop that I got last week. And I'm talking about CiM 1, which came out 4 years ago.
Honestly I've never really had lag problems with CIM2, and my computer is decidedly mid-range for gaming these days. Cities Skylines might be another matter because it looks like it's going to be bigger, but I'm overdue for an upgrade anyway.

Also, I think CIM2 uses a totally different engine than CIM1, so if you haven't tried it yet it's probably a better test since I think it and Skylines both use unity.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 2nd, 2015, 2:12 pm

Has anyone here tried Train-Fever? I picked it up when it was 60% off on Steam. It's got some issues to work out, but if your computer can handle it, it's a nice modern successor to Transport Tycoon.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 2nd, 2015, 2:19 pm

It's kind of fun but certainly lacking the depth that OpenTTD has. I've enjoyed building long routes across the countryside and following my trains through them, but it's not much deeper than that.

They just released a free DLC that adds American vehicles as well, I think you have to explicitly "buy" it (even though it's free) and install it.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 2nd, 2015, 3:30 pm

I think the depth will come as both the developers continue to iron out the bugs and the modding community takes off. Though from what I gather, some of the issues run deeper in the code than can be fixed with just a mod, and hopefully the developers take the criticism they receive and put it toward a stronger Train-Fever 2.

Though I do wish there was an AI element. A pathfinder would need a ton of computer power to build track with the game's strict grade/curve guidelines so I wouldn't expect that, but a bus/truck based AI would be a welcome addition.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » March 2nd, 2015, 3:56 pm

Has anyone here tried Train-Fever? I picked it up when it was 60% off on Steam. It's got some issues to work out, but if your computer can handle it, it's a nice modern successor to Transport Tycoon.
I like it, but it definitely needs some work. The industry side of it is completely useless and broken without mods, as you pretty much cannot run a profitable freight line in the vanilla game. I don't feel bad for having bought it when it came out, and it's definitely improved since then. It seems like the devs are pretty invested in it and will probably continue to put work into it for a while.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 2nd, 2015, 4:04 pm

The industry side of it is completely useless and broken without mods, as you pretty much cannot run a profitable freight line in the vanilla game.
The industries definitely feel like they were an afterthought to the developers. It's also not very apparently how they work in the first place, I had a train running a million dollar deficit for months because a coal mine didn't recognize it was there to pick up coal. That's definitely one aspect of the game that should have been lifted completely from OTTD.

I do hope the developers continue making it better, since it's much more aesthetically pleasing than OTTD. The 90s may have been a golden age for simulation games, but it's time for a facelift graphics-wise.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » March 2nd, 2015, 5:54 pm

I was really hoping it would be TTD in 3d, but it's fallen a bit short. I'd kill for a real true TTD-alike in a proper 3d engine with some eye candy.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » March 3rd, 2015, 12:47 pm

I was really hoping it would be TTD in 3d, but it's fallen a bit short. I'd kill for a real true TTD-alike in a proper 3d engine with some eye candy.
I still play OpenTTD itself for hours upon hours. My latest region is all Japanese in the year 2050. God I love building Maglev lines.

On the topic of Cities: Skylines (not affiliated with Cities XL,) the press embargo lifted today, so expect to see lots of reviews, videos and other information today.

EDIT: Lots of Twitch streams live. http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Cit ... 20Skylines
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly