Apartment Hunting General Discussion

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
twincitizen

Re: Apartment Hunting General Discussion

Postby twincitizen » November 16th, 2014, 9:44 pm

On the topic of concessions, two months free at Murals of Lynlake: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/a ... 80683.html

Averaging out the $1125/mo cost for the remaining 10 months over the full year lease drops the per month cost to $937! Plus $95 for underground parking if you want/need that and you're just over $1000/month for a recent-ish apartment on the Greenway.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 16th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Anecdotally, I know a couple people at Murals right now who got a similar deal on their 1 bedroom. I wonder if they're having trouble competing with the newer buildings that've popped up recently.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 1:40 am

Man apartment hunting is just the worst.

Living in a 70s era apartment building now, I'm just kind of terrified of anything else of this vintage, although really I'm afraid of poorly maintained 70s apartments.

So I guess I'm looking for something 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom + den (basically just need a second room for our crap), somewhere light rail accessible. We're currently paying $1000/month but I don't think we'll find anything like that, so realistically going to have to go up to $1200-$1400 (but I'd like to stay on the low end of that).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 17th, 2014, 8:35 am

It is the worst.

Are you looking in St. Paul at all, or do you want to stay on the Blue Line? (I think you mentioned once that your wife currently takes the Blue Line to the 46 to work, so I can definitely see not wanting to add another transfer.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 9:18 am

She actually quit that job, so for the foreseeable future it's just Cedar Riverside and the U that she needs access to.

I'd been cruising padmapper and Craigslist, but it turns out few of the big complexes ended up there, so I guess I have to look at 5 or 10 different sites to see what's really available.

Apartment hunting is weird, I don't see who benefits from having an apartment complex be difficult to find.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » November 17th, 2014, 9:42 am

She actually quit that job, so for the foreseeable future it's just Cedar Riverside and the U that she needs access to.

I'd been cruising padmapper and Craigslist, but it turns out few of the big complexes ended up there, so I guess I have to look at 5 or 10 different sites to see what's really available.

Apartment hunting is weird, I don't see who benefits from having an apartment complex be difficult to find.

I would highly recommend Station 38 apartments if you want to live near the blue line. I lived there last year and moved out to buy a house. It's only 2-3 years old and pretty affordable, I paid $1250 for a large one bedroom (800+ sf) with walkout front porch and underground, heated parking ($65/mo), party room, bike storage, and nice little workout room which I used often. The property manager was always attentive and fair. I think the deposit is only $500. One of the best parts was the Metro Transit maintained sidewalk literally from the building's back entrance to the 38th street station (and Cardinal Tavern!). Another huge plus for me was the double party wall construction (which is mentioned on their website) and reduced a lot of neighbor noise. With that said, I lived on 29th Ave side and personally would not live on the Hiawatha side due to the train and grain silo noise.

Utilities were extremely affordable. I got Century Link TRUE high speed for about $40/month, and Directv for $23/mo :shock: . Overall, I was really happy living there.
Last edited by Realstreets on November 17th, 2014, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 17th, 2014, 10:08 am

Heat included or no? I've actually considered living there. I could maybe afford the 1Z floor plan, but not really any of the other 1BRs.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 17th, 2014, 10:17 am

That's too close to Northbound's $3 house beer happy hours... I'd be over there too frequently if I lived that close. Mmm.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 10:18 am

Yeah, Station 38 popped up for me last night for the first time when I started poking around the more "corporate" search sites, it's certainly a strong contender. There's a lot to do at 38th St.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 17th, 2014, 11:44 am

Have you considered Stevens Square or North Whittier? Not LRT adjacent, but a single seat ride on the 2 to the U and Cedar Riverside.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » November 17th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Heat included or no? I've actually considered living there. I could maybe afford the 1Z floor plan, but not really any of the other 1BRs.
No heat but I think my gas bill was about $30 at the depths of winters. Pretty sure my electric, gas, water (more water heating, not done in unit) was always under $100. Great thing about new buildings is they have new appliances like extremely efficient furnaces.
That's too close to Northbound's $3 house beer happy hours... I'd be over there too frequently if I lived that close. Mmm.
Precisely why I bought a house nearby!

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 17th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Have you considered Stevens Square or North Whittier? Not LRT adjacent, but a single seat ride on the 2 to the U and Cedar Riverside.
Riding the 2 to the U from Stevens Square is terrible, just the worst experience. Infrequent, stops constantly, always full, always loud, and at rush hour navigating the area around 35W goes from "not great" to a total nightmare. I've been in westbound buses that sat for 5 minutes at each of Chicago, Park, Portland, and 5th, the whole time with someone's butt in my face.

(Though the 18 and the Green Line is relatively quick and pleasant, for what it is.)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Yeah, currently taking the 2 from Franklin/Cedar to the U is about the limit of my 2 going. My wife is ABD so she goes to campus infrequently, but I work there (for now at least) so that'd be a twice daily trip for me.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 17th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

dusk2k2
Block E

Anyone familiar with Greenhouse Condos?

Postby dusk2k2 » January 30th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I'm thinking of renting an apartment here and wondering if anyone knows anything about this building. It's located at 36th and Hennepin (right at the end of Hennepin). Seems like a relative bargain in terms of rental price for the area, but wondering if anyone knowns anything about this building.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 31st, 2015, 10:52 am

I'm curious what my fellow Minneapolitan transients are paying for renter's insurance...

I'm paying about $165/year through Progressive (the insurance underwriter is "IDS Property Casualty", so that's kinda neat).

I think it gets me a small multi-policy discount on my car insurance, but I'm wondering if I'm grossly underpaying or overpaying compared to other folks' renters insurance policies.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 31st, 2015, 10:55 am

I really need to get renters insurance, especially when I'm one smashed living room window away from losing my stuff now

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 31st, 2015, 11:11 am

I'm paying about $140/yr through State Farm, but the multi-line discount saves me $112/yr on my car insurance, so I prefer to think of it as $28/yr.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 2nd, 2015, 8:49 am

I don't actually pay it, but my roommate just sent our proof of insurance to the building and it looks like he's paying $334 a year, which is ridiculous if you ask me. When I had my apartment on Ridgewood I think I paid MAYBE $150.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 2nd, 2015, 10:35 am

Just for the hell of it I'll update on my rental situation, found a house right near Lake & Hiawatha for my wife and I. With utilities and all, a bit more than I'd like to be spending, but overall we're really happy. There's no Taco Bell nearby, but there is a Pineda Tacos that I hear is amazing.