Why Gayborhoods Matter...Or Don't

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Minneapolisite

Why Gayborhoods Matter...Or Don't

Postby Minneapolisite » March 7th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Sounds more interesting than it is, but that's because Richard Florida is taking on the subject (not really: what a surprise) of why gayborhoods do or don't matter. I'm in the camp that says they don't, at least in a liberal city like Minneapolis where people don't give a fuck and thankfully those who are GLBT aren't totally held captive to the expectations of the gay (read, "gay white yuppie") mainstream that dominates gayborhoods everywhere. Now if we're talking Oklahoma City? OK, I can see the need there even if it's controlled by the same narrow minded gay white majority it beats the heck out of, well, being brutally beaten because you're gay.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighb ... tter/8368/

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Re: Why Gayborhoods Matter...Or Don't

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 7th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Yes, it's a good thing gay people don't get brutally beaten in liberal cities like Minneapolis.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/24 ... r-bus-stop
My flickr photos.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 8th, 2014, 12:41 pm

^^^There are hate crimes everywhere. Minneapolis is not immune. Sometimes, it's actually both a robbery attempt and hate crime. Very sad. The areas around gay bars are especially vulnerable as perpetrators view this as easy access to their "prey".

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » March 8th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I'm talking in generalities of course. If you were to go to someplace likes Pat's Tap, Stella's, etc, you're very likely not going to have issues. You'll always have under-educated violent cretins roaming around especially on quiet dark streets, so I get don't the point (if there is any). Are we supposed to believe that if the Mill District was a gayborhood it wouldn't have happened? I'd have to call bullshit that that would have improved anything. Do we even know, rather than suspect, that this guy was targeted for his orientation? The sad reality is this could have just been for shits and giggles and he just so happened to be their fodder. It's not like this exact same scenario hasn't played out for straight people over here. This is unfortunately something that everyone is vulnerable to when one is not keenly aware of their surroundings after leaving a bar at night, particularly on a street with few/no eyes watching over it. As an aside, this is yet another reason for why I prefer being a cyclist over a pedestrian; lot less chance of being attacked or mugged when you're biking down streets rather than walking the entire way.

Oh, and let's not pretend that everyone is looking out for each other just because they're GLBT. Let's not forget that gay guys do drug and rape other gay guys; I would never ever leave a drink unattended in a gay bar and even if I did somehow I wouldn't drink it. I trust the "community" to look out for my well being as far as I could throw it.

MSPtoMKE
Target Field

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 8th, 2014, 7:18 pm

No, we don't know why he was targeted, at least the last I heard. You just seemed to be say that gay people in places like Oklahoma City are in danger of brutal beatings. I was just making the point that we all have to be careful, whether in a gayborhood or not.
My flickr photos.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » March 8th, 2014, 7:30 pm

And my point is that in a place like OKC you have virtually no safe zones: those ignorant violent cretins I referred to are in the majority there. There you basically have no choice but a gay bar. Here there are many zones that are "safe", as safe as can possibly be anyway.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 8th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Anecdotally, the city I've traveled to that appeared to have the most GLBT safe areas was Seattle. In Minneapolis we are fairly GLBT friendly, however, that may be in decline with the rapid growth in population of extremely homophobic immigrant communities. This is the demographic truth that liberals in this community are afraid to discuss openly. You saw that with the huge election loss of Robert Lilligren, who's openly gay and was one of the most liberal city council members. It will be interesting to see how socially liberal our city will remain in the future. I'm hoping that as new cultures assimilate, they will become more tolerant and accepting. A great symbol of that would be for city council member Abdi Warsame to march in the Pride parade this summer. We will see.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 11th, 2014, 1:46 am

Minneapolisite wrote:And my point is that in a place like OKC you have virtually no safe zones: those ignorant violent cretins I referred to are in the majority there. .
What.

What.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 11th, 2014, 9:10 pm

DaPerpKazoo wrote:
Minneapolisite wrote:And my point is that in a place like OKC you have virtually no safe zones: those ignorant violent cretins I referred to are in the majority there. .
What.

What.
Clearly Minneapolisite has never been to OKC, nor to any part of Oklahoma.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 11th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I for one am thrilled that, within the next couple decades, gays will basically become the Irish, in that we used to be subhuman but now we're just some people with a parade, and everyone can just relax.

Source: Was drunk in Bible Belt for most of this past weekend.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 12th, 2014, 10:26 am

^^^See , you can even drink alcohol in the Bible Belt now. Times have changed! ;)

There was a good PBS documentary on the history and evolution of The Castro District in San Francisco into a gay neighborhood that was filmed in about 1998. Also talks about the impact of AIDS on the community in the 1980's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE1KYKb8_PQ

JordanWasaN
City Center

Postby JordanWasaN » March 12th, 2014, 11:00 am

John wrote:Anecdotally, the city I've traveled to that appeared to have the most GLBT safe areas was Seattle. In Minneapolis we are fairly GLBT friendly, however, that may be in decline with the rapid growth in population of extremely homophobic immigrant communities. This is the demographic truth that liberals in this community are afraid to discuss openly. You saw that with the huge election loss of Robert Lilligren, who's openly gay and was one of the most liberal city council members. It will be interesting to see how socially liberal our city will remain in the future. I'm hoping that as new cultures assimilate, they will become more tolerant and accepting. A great symbol of that would be for city council member Abdi Warsame to march in the Pride parade this summer. We will see.
1. Robert Lilligren lost because an East African majority ward was created so the community would have a voice on the City Council. I'm frustrated that the Native community was sacrificed in the process and our own voice on the Council (Lilligren is Anishinaabe) tossed aside, but this is a critique aimed at those who designed the new ward boundaries, and not another minority community who also deserves to be heard.

2. Yes, Somalis and other East Africans are more conservative when it comes to LGBTQ rights and queerness in general, but they seem to be moving comparatively quickly on the issue (certainly more quickly than white people were 30 years ago). Plus, if you look at generational shifts, younger Somalis are demonstrably more accepting than older Somalis, and women more accepting than men. Just like everyone else. So please stop demonizing them.

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » March 12th, 2014, 11:06 am

Wait...what? The Irish aren't subhuman anymore?
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 12th, 2014, 11:31 am

JordanWasaN wrote: Yes, Somalis and other East Africans are more conservative when it comes to LGBTQ rights and queerness in general, but they seem to be moving comparatively quickly on the issue (certainly more quickly than white people were 30 years ago). Plus, if you look at generational shifts, younger Somalis are demonstrably more accepting than older Somalis, and women more accepting than men. Just like everyone else. So please stop demonizing them.
That is the good news I want to here about that community. And If Mr Warsame marches in the GLBQT pride parade this year , I will be very hopeful. I was around way beyond 30 years ago , and I have seen the incredible struggle for GLBTQ rights and what our community has had to overcome. So I certainly have a well earned right to be wary of any group that has a history of extreme homophobia moving into my community. Over the years, many times I have been refused rides by taxi drivers who ( on religious grounds) wouldn't transport me to a gay bar. Tolerance is a two way street buddy.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » March 15th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Hmm, I would raise the issue to the taxi company and if they don't comply there should be a boycott. You're being dropped off on a sidewalk, the taxi driver doesn't have to walk you inside the place.

But really one doesn't have to march in a pride parade to support equality. Hell, I stopped going to those years ago.

Return to “Anything Goes”