24/7
MPLS car service
Elite
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby FISHMANPET » February 16th, 2015, 2:12 pm

None of those have good apps like Uber does. I don't want to have to deal with reserving ahead of time, I want to press a button and have a black car pick me up.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 16th, 2015, 2:46 pm

It's all about the apps!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » February 16th, 2015, 4:21 pm

I hate the new google maps. I always switch back to the classic version as you still get the bird's eye view. I still have yet to find out why they no longer make the birds eye view to update them. That new 3-d tilt crap it looks gross... That's my confession..

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 16th, 2015, 4:22 pm

^same

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 16th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Same for me too. The old Google Maps is far superior to the new version, IMO. It's a shame that there aren't any good alternatives.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 17th, 2015, 8:41 am

Yeah, why did they change it? I switch back and forth frequently.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 17th, 2015, 10:56 am

My confession is I suck at tipping, meaning I never know what is acceptable for situations other than the typical straight-forward restaurant outing. My question, to help educate myself, is this: Should you tip the guy or gal who fills up a growler for you at a brewery/taproom? I would tend to think yes, but not sure if that's common and what amount would be reasonable. I haven't purchased a growler yet, I guess that's another confession, so I just want to be prepared and feel cool when I go get one, whenever that may be.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2015, 5:55 pm

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 17th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Thanks Nathan. So does getting a growler fall under bartender?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2015, 8:12 pm

I would probably put it under take out, but like a dollar or two would be fine in either situation, if you considered it a drink or a prepared good to walk away with. I wouldn't tip a percentage of price for something like filling a growler, if it were a craft cocktail that's a different story.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » February 17th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Ok, let me make a pre-emptive confession.. 2015 Christmas I will pretend to be an Apartment Doorman for the tips until management call the cops..

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 18th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Ok, let me make a pre-emptive confession.. 2015 Christmas I will pretend to be an Apartment Doorman for the tips until management call the cops..
That's an old gig, standing in front of a club or bar that doesn't have a cover, collecting cover.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 23rd, 2015, 1:14 pm

Since it's the internet I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but in case you're not aware, the Christmas tip is given to the doorman as a Christmas bonus, in recognition for the year of service, so you wouldn't just start getting handfuls of cash unless you'd been the doorman all year.

Anyway, back to the confessions!

I stole a pad of post-it notes from the last community meeting I went to.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 24th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Im dating someone who likes to express his distaste for cylists (even though I am one), thinks taking the bus is "dirty", and didnt even support gay marriage until a few years ago (we are a homosexual couple). But I love him!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 24th, 2015, 1:21 pm

It always kind of shocks me how many people there are who profess their love of the city (and want to be surrounded by everything), but absolutely rage against bikers (and transit). To me those are so integral to the city, but some of my urban-inclined friends don't look upon them quite so fondly.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » March 3rd, 2015, 10:43 am

I hate the new google maps. I always switch back to the classic version as you still get the bird's eye view. I still have yet to find out why they no longer make the birds eye view to update them. That new 3-d tilt crap it looks gross... That's my confession..
I use bing maps. It doesn't lag in your browser, birds eye view, they now have street view (which is often more current than Google). Only negative is the business listings are sometimes out of date.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 3rd, 2015, 11:16 am

I drove to Calhoun Square on Friday night (from 35th/Dupont). In my defense, I had my gf and her friend with me, and they weren't about to walk .75mi (each way) in the bitter cold.

And by "drove there", I mean that I drove from the 3500 block of Dupont to the 3100 block of Fremont and parked for free in the last available space on that block :twisted: . Still had to walk one block from 31XX Fremont to Chiang Mai Thai. We got to use the new ped-activated crossing beacon at 31st/Girard, so that was cool. We made cars stop for us each time we crossed and it felt quite comfortable.

In a partial redemption though, on Sunday we went to brunch in the Galleria (so fancy) but on second thought decided to go to Original Pancake House (OPH) instead. We had already parked on the north side of Galleria and I successfully got my gf and her sister to walk through Galleria and across the mini-roundabout on 70th over to the strip mall which houses OPH. OPH had a 1 hour wait so we immediately trekked back across to Galleria. Also had to make cars stop for us in the mini-roundabouts on 70th, which was fun.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 3rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

I've got you beat twincitizen... I drove from Lime (29th/Lyndale) to Floyd's 99 Barbershop and circled the block twice before picking a parking spot. Also, in my defense... A. I was getting my hair cut and didn't want to freeze my poor little scalp afterwards. B. It was 8:30pm and they closed at 9pm.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » March 3rd, 2015, 12:50 pm

After going carless, my partner just got a job that requires a car. So back to being a car household I go.

(On the bright side, he's sticking to zipcar even for work needs for a while to not rush the process. I did not realize that they're decently cheaper than Car2Go)
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly