Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby xandrex » August 19th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I want the Total Wine thing to happen, just that it seems like an interesting / semi-plausible thing that could happen. There aren't a lot of big-box formats that are expanding in the Metro area right now, but Total Wine is going like gangbusters. Remembering that they can only have one location in the city of Minneapolis, and looking at where their other locations are, I'd say they eventually open up here or at the Quarry.
Between Hi-Lake and the Quarry, the Hi-Lake location is definitely better (in this hypothetical situation). The Quarry just too close to their Roseville location (under 4 miles via 35/36). I know lots of Northeast residents who use Total Wine as their go-to liquor store. A South Minneapolis location puts them 11 miles from the Bloomington location and a bit more breathing room from Roseville.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 24th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Are all 5 of these Rainbow locations still open? All 5 staying open as far as everyone knows?

https://www.rainbowfoods.com/stores/vie ... ageSource=

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 24th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Yes, they are. If you go back to the first page of this thread, the various news stories explain further, but basically people bought them to operate them as Rainbow's. Jerry's Foods owns 2 of them, and Supervalu owns 3. I think mostly they are too close to Cub franchises, so they just kept the Rainbow name.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 24th, 2015, 3:11 pm

In addition, I'm pretty sure the whole reason that the Rainbows were sold off and broken up the way they were was to try to make it more difficult for new entrants into the grocery market.
Why would Roundy's have had that goal?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 24th, 2015, 3:18 pm

That wasn't Roundy's goal -- they just wanted to cash out. It was the purchasers goal. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » August 24th, 2015, 3:25 pm

I'm not sure Total Wine could open at Hi-Lake without some kind of exception (or buyout, though not even sure that would pass muster)- there is a 2000 ft buffer zone for new off sale establishments and they'd fall into two different store's (Minnehaha Lake and Hi Lake) buffer zones at the old Rainbow location.

This is an interesting map showing the very limited potential locations for a new off-sale liquor establishment. Has to be in a C2 or up with 5 acres of continuous zoning and outside of that 2000 ft buffer. There's probably also school and church restrictions that they'd need to get an exception on as well. There's clearly several stores grandfathered into this.

http://cityoflakes.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 49c03ae0b8

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 24th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Not Roundy's, but a coalition of the existing players (Supervalu, Jerry's, Lunds&Byerlys) had that goal.

To continue my previous question/thought experiment, I don't really think any of the 5 extant Rainbow stores are ideal Hyvee locations. (ignoring for a moment the fact that they are currently owned by Hyvee's competitors)

West St. Paul - If you're Hyvee and looking in the SE metro, the already vacant Rainbows in Inver Grove or Cottage Grove would look more attractive from a HH income standpoint, though WSP wins on population density.

St. Paul Midway seems destined for a non-grocery redevelopment of retail/office/residential. Between Cub, SuperTarget and the coming Whole Foods at Snelby, this area is pretty well saturated.

Maplewood is Supervalu-owned and right across the street from a Cub (and a mile+ from another Cub now that the old 694/WB Kmart is being renovated as a Cub). Chances are Supervalu will shut down this location or the Cub across the street and sell to a non-grocery redevelopment.

Richfield I really don't know. This location is independent (Jerry's?) and leased, not owned. There's a Cub 6 blocks up Nicollet on the other side of MN-62, but I could see both stores continuing to exist. This Rainbow would be a good candidate for redevelopment whenever the owners of The Hub decide it's time to blow it up and start over. That does not appear to be on the horizon this decade. Could easily become a Jerry's branded store if Rainbow brand folds.

Plymouth - no idea. Right down the block from Byerlys and Cub, though on the other side of 55. This one is a really good example of why Lunds & Supervalu (and franchisees) teamed up to block Hyvee. This would be the exact type of property Hyvee would want to get their hands on and redevelop the entire lil shopping center there.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 24th, 2015, 3:34 pm

This is an interesting map showing the very limited potential locations for a new off-sale liquor establishment. Has to be in a C2 or up with 5 acres of continuous zoning and outside of that 2000 ft buffer. There's probably also school and church restrictions that they'd need to get an exception on as well. There's clearly several stores grandfathered into this.

http://cityoflakes.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 49c03ae0b8
Franklin and Eliot seems like a location that'd be great. In a dense area, no stores within a mile. And even the closest store is across Hiawatha and 94, so there wouldn't be much overlap.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 24th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I'm not sure Total Wine could open at Hi-Lake without some kind of exception (or buyout, though not even sure that would pass muster)- there is a 2000 ft buffer zone for new off sale establishments and they'd fall into two different store's (Minnehaha Lake and Hi Lake) buffer zones at the old Rainbow location.
Yeah, in my original thought experiment, I'd assumed that Minnehaha Lake would need to get bought out, but you may be right -- even with that purchase, it still might not be compliant.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » August 26th, 2015, 10:57 am

For the record, the WSP Rainbow on Robert closed earlier this summer. I can't see a new grocery store going in there either - Jerry's also owns the Cub 1 mile away, and it is flanked on Robert by a Super Target and a Walmart
Urbanist in the north woods

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 26th, 2015, 11:05 am

This month-old (but maybe just unlocked?) interview with the Hy-Vee CEO gives some insight into what they're thinking as they expand.

Of particular note:
Q: Target and other retailers are experimenting with small-format stores. Is that something Hy-Vee has considered?
A: We are [experimenting with those models], too, just not here. We’ve committed to a 36,000-square-foot store that’s at the base of an apartment complex in downtown [Des Moines]. We’ve done extensive study of this in Manhattan, Chicago and other markets, and have developed an ultra-fresh, meal-driven store. When the right opportunity comes up [in the Twin Cities] we’ll absolutely jump on it. We’ve looked for those settings here. We spent some time looking for places around the new football stadium. We haven’t found anything, but I see a variety of stores up here. They won’t all be this prototype [a 90,000-square-foot store with gas station, coffee shop, pharmacy, etc.].

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 26th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Huh. That would be a decent fit for the Prospect Park Station development.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » August 26th, 2015, 2:53 pm

I've been waiting for HyVee to enter this market since I moved to the U from Rochester in '98. Of course, I worked for them after they bought out Barlow's

I'd like to see them redevelop the former Rainbow / Home Depot strip in Cottage Grove. As far as Inver Grove, they're more likely to aim for the border lands with Eagan than the former Rainbow at Concord and US 52
Urbanist in the north woods

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 22nd, 2015, 10:48 am

Saw an interesting tweet from Rachel Stassen-Berger yesterday. https://twitter.com/RachelSB/status/656889036112465921

CostCo just registered three lobbyists to lobby metro-area governments and administrative actions. They did not hire lobbyists to lobby the state legislature.

Anyone with inside info or want to speculate about what they are trying to accomplish? Planning more stores in the metro-area? Zoning changes? Liquor regulations? We don't know which counties/cities they plan to lobby.

Here's a link to the state registration of lobbyists: http://cfboard.state.mn.us/lobby/lbdetail/lb2439.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 9th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Anyone been to a "Fresh & Natural Foods"??
New one in Mendota Heights.
http://www.freshandnaturalfoods.com/contact-us/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 13th, 2015, 7:43 pm

The Wedge has plans up in its store fora minor remodel including refacing their doors to just the parking lot, it's kind of a confused style with the rest of the building

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 13th, 2015, 9:36 pm

The Wedge has plans up in its store fora minor remodel including refacing their doors to just the parking lot, it's kind of a confused style with the rest of the building
The only plus I see to that is that it will make it safe for people that are entering away from the busy sidewalk, parking lot entrance where drivers trying to beat on coming traffic might hit someone walking out as they try getting into the parking lot without getting T-boned.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 10th, 2016, 8:54 pm

The Lunds & Byerlys at 1959 Suburban Ave on the East Side of St. Paul is closing on March 6th. The building is 48,000 square feet and has been there since 1971.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/10/ea ... -in-march/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 3rd, 2016, 7:32 am

Minnesotans love their organic grocery stores.

http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities- ... 377805221/

More and more opening or coming soon.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » May 3rd, 2016, 6:08 pm

Kroger could buy Cub Foods, analyst says.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -says.html