Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby mattaudio » January 17th, 2015, 2:14 pm

He didn't say Cub Foods, he said Cup Foods.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 27th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Has anyone been to Wedge Table yet? How do we feel about Wedge Table? I went for the first time tonight to get ingredients for a soup/chili hybrid and they had everything. That said it felt like there was a ton of dead space and there could have been more groceries. What exactly, I'm unsure. The smoothies started at $7 USD for a 12 oz, which seems absurd and I can't quite remember how much they are at the Lyndale location. They do have cans of Bauhaus for $4 though, which seems like an okay deal I guess maybe. It's really set up for people eating there, I think, which may be a tough sell at the moment, but we'll see.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 28th, 2015, 8:59 am

If a soup/chili hybrid means soup with corn, I'm slapping you.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 28th, 2015, 12:14 pm

$7 USD
That's like €3.53 euros or £2.64 pounds? Redundancy might be a part of our local dialect though ;)

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

More like €6.17, the Euro has gotten creamed lately. Good time to take a vacation across the pond if you can swing it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 28th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Really!? I just Googled it! That would be awesome though.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 6th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Anybody venture into Sun Foods at University and Dale? We like to go there from time to time, plus they were one of the only places open on Christmas when we had a late thought of fixing up some fish for the evening. They have a lot of exotic fruits and just general tropical food stuffs. It's also the closest thing we can get to a vacation outside the country right now. United Noodle is another one we hit up from time to time.

I love having Longfellow Market in our neighborhood. It's so nice to have a market within walking distance where you can get just about anything you need. I have no problem paying a little more for the convenience. And they're just a cool establishment to have around.

One thought about Rainbow leaving, I really miss Roundy's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, that was one of the only products I ever had where the product itself out-shined the picture on the packing.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 3rd, 2015, 9:46 am

Serious question: Can I "return" my Wedge membership and get my $80 back? I don't shop there ever, and never really have. When I moved to Whittier in 2011, I thought it was just something I had to do to fit in ;) Turns out I don't find that store super useful and prefer a combination of Lunds/Kowalskis for fresh/deli stuff and SuperTarget for dry stuff.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 3rd, 2015, 9:58 am

Down with coops!

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get Broccolini in the city? The Quarry Rainbow had it when it was a Rainbow, but now that it's a Cub they don't have it. I've looked at Whole Foods, Lunds downtown, and Seward Coop (yes, I went into a coop!) and none of them had it. Tracy's gets it from somewhere because they have it on their menu, but I don't know where to find it. Is it a seasonal thing? Does anyone even grow it around here such that I could find it at a farmer's market?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 3rd, 2015, 11:04 am

Serious question: Can I "return" my Wedge membership and get my $80 back? I don't shop there ever, and never really have. When I moved to Whittier in 2011, I thought it was just something I had to do to fit in ;) Turns out I don't find that store super useful and prefer a combination of Lunds/Kowalskis for fresh/deli stuff and SuperTarget for dry stuff.
I'm pretty sure that you can get a refund on that.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 3rd, 2015, 11:21 am

Yep: http://www.wedge.coop/images/stockrefund.pdf

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 5th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Well, you could've at least seen Stevie Wonder at The Wedge if you'd been in there last week.

Check out @carljaeger's Tweet: https://twitter.com/carljaeger/status/5 ... 38848?s=09

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 17th, 2015, 11:30 am

Hy-Vee hasn't opened a metro store yet and still they will be one of the founding partners at USBank Stadium! Wow! They are bringing the heat. I expect to see some big competition for grocery dollars between Cub, Target and Hy-Vee.

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium ... r=25545388

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 18th, 2015, 11:33 am

Sorta funny (ironic?) tho that all of their "metro stores" will be in the exurbs and 3rd ring suburbs. Fitting tho because that's where most Vikings fans live.
New Hope is very likely the closest Hyvee will ever get to Downtown Minneapolis, unless they somehow snag one of the more urban Rainbow locations (they haven't done so yet, and the like 3 Rainbows that remain all changed ownership). The locals (and new entrants like Fresh Thyme) are really circling the wagons around the urban & inner suburban areas, probably beyond the saturation point in SLP & Edina.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 18th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Hi-Lake Rainbow remains empty and ready for the taking by Hy-Vee or other entrants. Or to be made over into an indoor paintball arena or something like that.

Actually, someone call Splatball...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 18th, 2015, 3:37 pm

My current pet theory is that Minnehaha Lake Liquors sells out to Total Wine and they move into some of that old Rainbow space.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 18th, 2015, 3:55 pm

My current pet theory is that Minnehaha Lake Liquors sells out to Total Wine and they move into some of that old Rainbow space.
That would be about the middle of the pack in my potential theories.
Best? Big box gets repurposed into a new development to restore the traditional form east of Minnehaha. Ideally this would spread to the Target/Cub site at some point.
Worst? You've Been Sabri'd

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 19th, 2015, 7:11 am

Hi-Lake Rainbow remains empty and ready for the taking by Hy-Vee or other entrants. Or to be made over into an indoor paintball arena or something like that.
Whirlyball!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 19th, 2015, 9:05 am

That would be about the middle of the pack in my potential theories.
Best? Big box gets repurposed into a new development to restore the traditional form east of Minnehaha. Ideally this would spread to the Target/Cub site at some point.
Worst? You've Been Sabri'd
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I want the Total Wine thing to happen, just that it seems like an interesting / semi-plausible thing that could happen. There aren't a lot of big-box formats that are expanding in the Metro area right now, but Total Wine is going like gangbusters. Remembering that they can only have one location in the city of Minneapolis, and looking at where their other locations are, I'd say they eventually open up here or at the Quarry.

I don't think any of the Rainbow locations, and certainly not their urban locations, are big enough for Hy-Vee's format. In addition, I'm pretty sure the whole reason that the Rainbows were sold off and broken up the way they were was to try to make it more difficult for new entrants into the grocery market.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2015, 10:16 am

Whirlyball!
yup. This.