Forum Etiquette

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Forum Etiquette

Postby FISHMANPET » March 31st, 2014, 4:34 pm

Haha, that's pretty funny. I doubt that was done intentionally, probably a quirk of the forum software.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 31st, 2014, 4:37 pm

Yeah, that's definitely a limitation of the forum software. Happens to me a lot trying to search for very generic terms on here.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » March 31st, 2014, 4:41 pm

I could understand if I was trying to search the entire forum, but you would think it could handle searching just one topic, even for fairly common terms.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 31st, 2014, 6:13 pm

I'm guessing there's just one master list of "too common" words.

You can use "site:urbanmsp.com" (no quotes) before your search term to have Google or Bing search just the forum. Doesn't work for a specific thread, but it might help in similar situations.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 5th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » July 11th, 2014, 8:45 pm

I just sent a message of apology to someone on this forum after an argument that, in my opinion, just turned into a clusterfuck in a thread on Anything Goes a bit ago. It was just a mess on both sides, and since deleted. He denied my apology and said the apology needs to be seen by everyone and, well, said everyone who disagreed with him are just typical gay males, anyway... I think most of you know what thread I'm talking about.

That's enough for me, I'm hangin' it up for now, folks.

I know I'm not a perfect community member, but I'm stepping back from Urban for a bit. Sometimes people can rustle my feathers a bit more than a forum should, but hey, I care about the city's progress. I think most of you are great, but a small few really do live up to Urban's reputation elsewhere, and I don't think I've helped.

Thanks so much to those that have been welcoming, I really appreciated it. I'll try to be more active when my own life isn't as stressful.
Last edited by IllogicalJake on July 12th, 2014, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 11th, 2014, 11:38 pm

Holy shit. I wonder who that is... Honestly the fact he said that should result in a temporary ban. Please. It's very very inappropriate.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 12th, 2014, 10:03 am

I know the person he is talking about as I was part of that pissfest too. The person who got this started still is on here and still seems to like to push buttons on people with posts that have little forethought, and then gets defensive when ever he is challenge. I've now gotten to the point where I call him out when he posts ill conceived posts that do nothing but show his personal dislike of the world that does not fit his personal preference. I'd prefer that he was banned than to have someone that does contribute to the forum in a positive way to leave.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 12th, 2014, 11:16 am

Ah, well it seems like 'he who shall not be named' is just as typical as all the "typicals" in his actions and attitudes then... wow. CADDY!!! I'd have hoped the alt gays could represent a little better. At least you can always rely on Karma.

Good luck in your endeavors, or just keep posting when you feel better, and learn to ignore those who are a little too special for their own good. For example I bought something from Meg Tuthill's garage sale today, I feel like a good neighbor, even if we disagree on... a lot.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » July 12th, 2014, 11:37 am

My offer to talk things out (because, as much as I disagree, I actually have some understanding of where the person's coming from and have quite a bit in common) was met with "Whatever. I only hang out with straight people." and then "An apology only seen by me and no one else...kinda rings hollow." :roll: I try to be a good community member and not make enemies from disagreements, I really do. Because I mentioned being gay in that thread, this idiot won't even listen to me. That's homophobia in the purest form. I get enough of that shit elsewhere.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 25th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Is the transportation forum an appropriate place for insufferable rants against chain restaurants from 22 year old transplants? I haven't been to Applebee's in a decade (when said insufferable snob was still in elementary school) but I don't knock people I don't know based on their food preference. I love Jasmine Deli too but understand how it could be off putting to the less adventurous.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 25th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Rants against insufferable land use that accompanies chain restaurants? Sure why not.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 25th, 2014, 11:06 pm

I somehow don't think our friend there would be very tolerant of an "urban"-designed Applebee's.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 25th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Survival: Suburban Edition

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » July 25th, 2014, 11:27 pm

If this is the reaction to restaurant food chains, I could only imagine if SWLRT goes anywhere near a gay nightclub... :D

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 26th, 2014, 10:59 am

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Rumors!

Postby David Greene » January 28th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Remember, Grant wound up socializing with these people after feeling pretty rejected and unwelcome here. I mean, he wants to be an architect or work in urban planning for his career, and stay in Minneapolis. He wants to devote his life to it. And he felt unwelcome here. That sucks on its own merits and I won't dive into it.
He didn't just feel unwelcome. He says multiple people told him to leave. That's despicable. I'd love to know who it was.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 28th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Remember, Grant wound up socializing with these people after feeling pretty rejected and unwelcome here. I mean, he wants to be an architect or work in urban planning for his career, and stay in Minneapolis. He wants to devote his life to it. And he felt unwelcome here. That sucks on its own merits and I won't dive into it.
He didn't just feel unwelcome. He says multiple people told him to leave. That's despicable. I'd love to know who it was.
Well, war crimes are despicable, anything on an Internet forum might be a level or two below that. I told him in a private message to not post his entire stream of consciousness on the forum, because if you remember, he did that for about two months. For what it's worth (and I said this in the message) I remember being 17 (and 14!) on an Internet forum.

In general, it's sort of wacky how little the past 72 hours has done anything about the gigantic persecution complex over on Skyscrapercity. No one here has gloated (other than implicitly), but there are a number of people on this forum, including myself, who have been pointing out (relatively casually!) that this situation is insane for about a year now and, for others, it's somehow just now coming into view. There was no pogrom, they were not the Huguenots being driven from France. nasa35 was banned because he was physically unable to talk with anyone else, and a few other low number posters when it appeared that they were not going to be successful posters. This is how you cultivate a site that's worth going to.

If anything, comparing the last ten pages of this thread to their conversation about the same issue is the best possible side-by-side comparison of the two sites. Some people are rude here--snark is no longer a word that means anything--but this is also isn't the place that let about 75% of its total posts get tied up in an obvious hoax.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 28th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Well, war crimes are despicable, anything on an Internet forum might be a level or two below that. I told him in a private message to not post his entire stream of consciousness on the forum, because if you remember, he did that for about two months. For what it's worth (and I said this in the message) I remember being 17 (and 14!) on an Internet forum.
I'll admit that I rolled my eyes any time I saw his name at the top of a post during that period. However, I hope he was misinterpreting messages like Nick's rather than actually being told to leave, because that would be terrible. Lord knows my 17-year-old enthusiasm wasn't as gainfully directed as Grant's is.

I'd be happy to go to another meetup and discuss the events, but wouldn't have been able to make tonight's, and will be occupied tomorrow right after work. Could do later in the evening, though, like after 7.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 28th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Something about saying things on the Internet that makes being rude so easy. I've been doing forums of various sorts since the early 90s. While it can be fun in the moment to get a good zinger in, I really don't like the feelings afterward.

With that, I make every effort to read everything with the most positive intent possible. It heads off possible misinterpretations that could fire me up. Boy did I have a hair trigger long ago.

I know I want to be able to meet in person any one on here and I'd hate for that to be a cloud over it.