Taxis on Nicollet

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Taxis on Nicollet

Postby grant1simons2 » August 6th, 2014, 4:33 pm

So today I was riding downtown because someday ill have to do it. And I'm riding and a taxi suddenly nearly hits me on Nicollet because they were passing a bus which me and a few others were in front of. First off one illegal move and second are they even allowed on Nic. Then I saw another one and another so I'm just confused

Silophant

Re: Taxis on Nicollet

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2014, 4:56 pm

They are. They shouldn't be, but they are.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 6th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Fun. I have gone with the extended leg technique for when they are about hit me

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 6th, 2014, 6:18 pm

I haven't had nearly as many issues with taxis as I have had with motorists who aren't allowed on Nicollet, but almost every day they're there and once in a while they'll even ride your ass and honk. Then you have cross traffic running reds on a very regular basis long after the light for Nicollet was green: sometimes if there's enough traffic they'll literally just sit right in the middle of the intersection blocking bus (but not bikes) in both directions for an entire signal phase and no one honks, yells, or rings their bell at these people. I'm about the only to smack the ass of their car every now and then if I happen to be riding by. And why not a single "bikes allowed" sign anywhere on Nicollet Mall? It's not obvious enough that bikes are allowed there nor is it obvious enough that cars that aren't taxis are plain not allowed. Guerrilla traffic signage anyway?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 7th, 2014, 6:36 am

It's also really not very well marked that private autos aren't allowed on the mall, just in general. I could see why someone from out of town would get confused, or even someone who doesn't live in the city.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 7th, 2014, 6:45 am

It hasn't really been discussed much, but we have got to kick the taxis off Nicollet Mall when the streetcar is running. The new mall has to be transit, ped, bike only. No autos whatsoever (aside from DID, police, etc.). Even the cops will have to stop parking their cars on the mall. We have to better design the nearby parking spaces on the cross streets to better accommodate police, DID, taxis, etc. to keep them off the mall.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 7th, 2014, 8:35 am

Nicollet Mall is an excellent place to really sharpen up the corners at intersections to make it clear that cars aren't supposed to turn onto it. I suppose it'd be a bit of a problem for taxis (if they continue to be allowed), but you could reduce the curb radius to practically zero to discourage cars from turning. Buses only turn at a few intersections, and larger radii could still be used there.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » August 7th, 2014, 8:55 am

Uber can also use Nicollet.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 8th, 2014, 8:35 am

taxi's should not be allowed on nicollet. actually it should be a true pedestrian/bike street, but whatever. if it can be done in manhatten it can be done here.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » August 8th, 2014, 11:50 am

Make Nicollet Mall like the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 8th, 2014, 11:52 am

Or what times square has turned into

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2014, 8:22 am

I wonder if this has turned into an ideology debate or what actually serves the most people most appropriately. I just see taxis being essential and doing their thing for a major city on Nicollet. It's the front door to the large majority of the Class A office space in the city. I imagine a lot of business travelers using taxis and being very confused when they are dropped off at the corner and forced to walk in rain or snow, or dropped at a skyway entrance on the side of a building. Not to mention that rather than mall it's more of a dining and drinking destination, and drunk people don't need getting a ride home made any more difficult. I ride on Nicollet almost daily, and don't see taxi's doing much worse than any normal automobile. I do see a lot of pedestrians and bikers taking their laws VERY liberally though.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 9th, 2014, 9:09 am

It's mostly just a matter of how much space they take up per passenger (not necessarily including the driver). Here's a famous illustration (and the box here appears to be too small to represent a Crown Victoria).

This doesn't matter quite as much late at night when people are more likely to be drinking. It isn't so great when they're around during peak hours (though that's probably a busy time for taxis, and one period when they'd really still want Nicollet Mall access).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2014, 9:29 am

right, but they are a service. they bring people where they need to go, people who don't have cars... (at least not with them) so really that isn't accurate. it also prevents travelers from renting cars and driving on our streets confused ( not that can drivers aren't distracted) I'm just saying they are a valuable service to the businesses and companies that are the main tax payers on that street.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 10th, 2014, 3:00 pm

I don't think taxis necessarily have to be gotten rid of on Nicollet, but there needs to be much heavier enforcement of traffic laws against them making blind turns/idling in the road/running reds. Biking Nicollet, taxis are my biggest fear (and occasionally put me in real danger).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm

It's the front door to the large majority of the Class A office space in the city.
It's not really, though. Looking at the main entrances to the office towers of the major office buildings within a block of Nicollet, the main tower entrance to Target Plaza South is on 11th, TPN is on the corner of 10th and Nicollet, Retek on 10th, Medical Arts is on 9th, IDS Tower is on 8th, Plaza 7 is on 7th, 33 S 6th is on 6th, 50 S 6th is on the corner of 6th and Nicollet, Wells Fargo is on 6th and Marquette, and Marquette Plaza is on Marquette. So it seems like the only (office) buildings where a taxi dropping a person off right at the front door would need to be on Nicollet are US Bancorp, McGladrey Plaza, and 414 Nicollet.

That being said, I understand the bar/restaurant arguments, and feel like the best solution would just be actually enforcing the laws.

Also, I'm surprised that Uber is allowed to use Nicollet. Seems like that would have been a pretty easy bone for the city to throw the taxi drivers in their recent decision.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 10th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Maybe they follow the rules a bit better. And not pass over a double stripped line and blow lights

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Taxis on Nico

Postby Tyler » August 10th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Uber X cannot drive on Nicollet. Only black cars. (ie. not related to the recent decision)
Towns!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 10th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Oh, no problem with that then.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]