Architecture Drawings

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Architecture Drawings

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2014, 11:38 pm

I started working on my drawings, very simple and basic, in sketchup for the UofMn. I'm applying this fall for the 2015-16 semesters and they want to see some of my ideas in person. They say they don't get many students that have prior architecture experience like me, I've only taken a couple classes. Anyways here they are, go to work, give me constructive criticism. Keep in mind I haven't used sketchup much and I'm still learning :)

https://i.imgur.com/a4dKHac.png
https://i.imgur.com/whFZX2R.png
https://i.imgur.com/jpfQ7jh.png

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Architecture Drawings

Postby mattaudio » August 26th, 2014, 7:37 am

Looks like a big houseboat on land.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2014, 7:46 am

looks like you did pretty well with the software just make sure every form abs shape has a purpose, it's easy to get excited about different looks but they stillhave to be successful spaces in the end. keep in mind all the rules of proportion and such!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 26th, 2014, 8:59 am

I thought rules of proportion went out with the Eisenhower administration.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 27th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Couple of questions and an observation (from a graduate of the U of M's M-Arch program)

1) What is the purpose of this exercise? Does the U of M have a portfolio requirement to enter the undergrad program now? I don't think they did in the past.
2) Why use sketchup? Why not a hand drawing, or an essay (or blog post), or photography, or some other medium that demonstrates your passion for architecture and design? I think it's clear that you are passionate about it -- but I am not sure that a program that you're just beginning to teach yourself is the best way to demonstrate it.

The observation: being successful in the U of M's architecture program is not tied to your mastery of a specific computer program. You might use sketchup frequently, but you'll be graded more on things that are abstract -- the ideas you're exploring with the design project, the rigor with which you test multiple ideas before arriving at the one you think is best, how you integrate real-world considerations ranging from material properties to social justice into the project.

In my time at the U of M, I was a TA for the introductory design courses for undergrads. There were always people that really struggled getting their head around this distinction -- it's about the ideas, not the tools.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm

When I told my admission adviser at the u that I've done classes in architecture she said I should send in my renders. This is a new one that I'm very iffy on. I'm working on a cardboard model or a skyscraper design I have that will be turned into wood later. I usually use sketchup as an early model. Then work to make it better before I model it. I'm not the best at drawing or at least not confident enough.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » August 27th, 2014, 5:40 pm

My advice would be to include anything you've done that indicates an interest in architecture or design. Try to communicate your enthusiasm for the subject...even drawings you think might not be that good (you might be surprised).

I think it's great that you're getting into this stuff while still in high school.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 27th, 2014, 8:41 pm

I concur with Nate. When I was in the U's architecture school some of our design textbooks included Gaston Bachelard's The Poetics of Space and The Psychoanalysis of Fire and Christian Norberg-Schulz's The Phenomenology of Place. Not exactly tech manuals! :)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » August 27th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Remember as well, that the worst case scenario is that you can always transfer to the U after a short stint in community college or another university. I had really mediocre grades in high school and was rejected from the U as a freshman in 2010. I started at MNSU, went there for a year and transferred to the U fairly easily. A work buddy of mine who was a Architecture major did the same thing (thats how I found out a loophole with the U's admission - they ignore high school records after a year's worth of courses; at least in 2011 they did). I emailed and met with a transfer adviser to express my interest which may have helped. Given that you show a great interest and as long as your grades are fine, you probably have a good chance of getting in. Apply elsewhere though as a backup though if you really want to head straight into a 4-year university environment. To save money, I took online courses at Anoka-Ramsey to fulfill the U's general education and elective requirements which saved me thousands of dollars.

Many CCs have drafting/CAD classes, but make sure they are transferable. I took AutoCAD and Inventor courses at Century during my senior year of high school, but were only eligible for credit at MnSCU institutions. I didn't care though as I initially did them since it allowed me to do half-days at my high school.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I'll just say that when I did informational interviews with architects when I had a mentorship in high school at the Cunningham group most firms said they would hire graduates from ndsu and other school that were more technical and less conceptualdso consider that when applying for school and figuring out what you think is important to work on.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 27th, 2014, 9:48 pm

A friend from high school went to the U for architecture, and transferred into Civil Engineering after a year because far to artsy and nearly technical enough. I think she was more interested in the nuts and bolts of architecture rather than the artistic side of it.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 27th, 2014, 9:59 pm

I'll be a junior in the BDA program at the U.

I completely agree with nate—the program here is, early on, much more interested in ideas and iteration than tools or finished products. Your models look good, but like others have said, include work with different mediums if you can. Also, if you have multiple iterations of any project, show how the design developed by including multiple images, or doing a short write-up.

Personally, I stay away from using textures in Sketchup; I think plain colors look better. And as Nathan said, be careful not to cram all of your ideas into a single design. But anyways, keep up the good work. Show your enthusiasm. Best of luck to you.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2014, 10:18 pm

True. I have realized this now. To be clear I do have work in other mediums but this is just one of the examples of my newest piece, which I don't like too much and needed another opinion

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 17th, 2014, 6:09 pm

So I decided to model a tower for Target instead of doing homework for an hour last night. I decided I'd share/see what you all think. It's modeled around the Target logo and 890' tall + 180' spire thing. Probably like 70 floors. Roughly 7,500 sq ft plates, which is small, yeah.

Also I utilized the existing structure on the corner, because I think that's more fun.

I think it actually works fairly well with the skyline.
Sorry to hijack your thread, Grant. Not sure where else this could go. I think it'd be fun to showcase all of our work somewhere, though.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Now i'm Curious what an O shaped tower would be like with the center open with glass all the way to the ground. Would any light get down there I wonder to make the glass even worth it?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 17th, 2014, 6:51 pm

IIRC, there's a similar building in Joburg that ended up becoming dilapidated and the center was filled with trash three stories high. It's been renovated into apartments now.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 18th, 2014, 1:02 am

...It's modeled around the Target logo...
Now here's an interesting idea that can become architectural. Distill the Target logo into it's most abstract form: In essence the Target logo is a shape surrounding a point. This speaks about being centered. A goal. A destination.

That enveloping shape can be circular, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. It could also be square. But let's just say it is circular. Then decide how much of that form you want to be explicit vs. implied. And what practical value is this enveloping shape? Is it offices?

And then you have to decide what the central "point" or "dot" can be. Is it a sculptural pool? Is it a thin tower? Is it an elevator shaft? Is it a spire? Is it a void? What function can express "destination?"

Tie these thoughts into the practical necessities of an office tower. That's when the door opens for good architecture. That's when a vocabulary for the building begins to take shape.

(EDIT - This is a Cliff Notes version of a weeks-long conversation about design :) )

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 18th, 2014, 8:45 am

Now i'm Curious what an O shaped tower would be like with the center open with glass all the way to the ground. Would any light get down there I wonder to make the glass even worth it?
Ponte Tower: http://youtu.be/6ekDvKfQSaY