City living apps

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
masstrlk67
City Center

Re: City living apps

Postby masstrlk67 » July 27th, 2016, 8:25 am

Unless I am missing some key setting or something, the "mapping" part of their app doesn't seem to work for the Twin Cities yet, save for half of the Green Line. I think if they really want to make a splash, they need to tackle bus route mapping. Maybe have the high-frequency network as a layer, and then have a route map appear when you click on a particular route in the list of arrivals for a stop? Metro Transit's branch-philia definitely complicates things though.

Right now I'd say it's just a more user-friendly OMG Transit. Regarding route directions, I personally much prefer Transit App's slider over OMG Transit's cluttered icons, which somehow always put the icon I was looking for at the bottom.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 27th, 2016, 9:22 am

Try deleting and reinstalling Transit if the lines don't show. The transit layer didn't show up at all until the other day when I emailed them about it. Should show Blue, Green, A Line, and Northstar.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » July 27th, 2016, 9:52 am

I'm curious why it shows Northstar, but not the Red Line. Seems like an odd omission.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 27th, 2016, 10:32 am

Apple Maps to soon have access to Parkopedia's parking data.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 71151.html

Never heard of them before, but seems Parkopedia provides data on which parking lots and ramps have open parking spaces. Having a turn by turn route not only be able to get you to the vicinity but to the nearest open parking space is petty helpful and I can see in the short term helping cities be more efficient with land used for parking faster than self driving cars will.

masstrlk67
City Center

Postby masstrlk67 » July 28th, 2016, 8:56 am

Try deleting and reinstalling Transit if the lines don't show. The transit layer didn't show up at all until the other day when I emailed them about it. Should show Blue, Green, A Line, and Northstar.
Thanks for the tip. Glad to see that at least the A Line made their map. Agree with jebr that including Northstar but no Red Line is kind of odd, but well, rail bias, I guess.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 28th, 2016, 1:24 pm

It shows the Red Line for me.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » July 29th, 2016, 7:48 am

I just double-checked and it's there, but the line is very thin and hard to see.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2016, 8:23 am

I just double-checked and it's there, but the line is very thin and hard to see.
Wow this app is accurate.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 24th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Not an app, but a website that tracks transit movement in realtime. Much like TransitApp

http://tracker.geops.ch/?z=14&s=1&x=-10 ... =transport

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 17th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Lileks has a review of apps for finding your way around the skyway.

http://www.startribune.com/visitors-to- ... 414093853/

Anondson
IDS Center

City living apps

Postby Anondson » March 6th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Much more Waze related, but this is also about every routefinding app out there. City planners are now having to come up with countermeasures against apps sending drivers down once quiet residential streets by designing street elements that cause people to drive slower.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news ... /98588980/

Love this quote, "Today, many planners say the only alternative cities have is by physically changing street layouts. After spending decades building streets that let drivers get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, they’re beginning to rethink the whole thing.

"If you have residential streets where drivers feel comfortable doing 40 miles per hour, you didn’t do a very good job of designing them in the first place,” said Jennifer Dill, director of the National Institute for Transportation and Communities and a professor of urban planning at Portland State University in Portland, Oregon.
"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 6th, 2017, 9:31 pm

I know I'm sort of beating a dead horse here, but when will folks covering these issues, urban planners, etc come to the conclusion that the assumption that concentrating tons of cars, which also are allowed (encouraged) to drive fast, along a few key streets is a bad idea? We talk about "quiet residential" streets ignoring that more people per block tend to live (to say nothing of shop, eat, bike, walk, catch the bus, whatever) on the ones planners have funneled traffic to.