But not Lake and Nicollet. Sigh.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Re: Sears Closings

Postby MplsSteve » October 27th, 2014, 12:05 pm

But not Lake and Nicollet. Sigh.
I feel like it's the Kmart that won't die.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » October 27th, 2014, 12:07 pm

What if it ends up being the last one in existence and then it gets an historical designation and can't be torn down?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 27th, 2014, 1:56 pm

What if it ends up being the last one in existence and then it gets an historical designation and can't be torn down?
That'll never happen lol. Sears has even said they want to move it to get more traffic. It's the best operating Kmart in the country and I really don't know why. Someone needs to open up a co-op or something that sells clothes and all products where that supervalue was. That'd take away a lot of traffic that goes to Kmart

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 27th, 2014, 1:57 pm

It's the best operating Kmart in the country and I really don't know why.
Lack of competition. A big box competitor would never be allowed to move in close-by. This is an ideal spot for a City Target or similar concept.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 27th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Lack of competition. A big box competitor would never be allowed to move in close-by. This is an ideal spot for a City Target or similar concept.
Ehhhh City Target no. Lake and Nic is still a pretty poverty stricken area and that's why Kmart is working. We need a cheap place with clothes and food to either come in and shut them down or replace. Or for Kmart to just move

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 27th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Sears has even said they want to move it to get more traffic. It's the best operating Kmart in the country
I mean, I know this is just a stupid message board, but can you back up either of those statements with a link? Or do you just type whatever you feel like because, y'know, -1 and stuff.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 27th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Ehhhh City Target no. Lake and Nic is still a pretty poverty stricken area and that's why Kmart is working. We need a cheap place with clothes and food to either come in and shut them down or replace. Or for Kmart to just move
I don't know how often you go in to the downtown Target, but I worked there for a year in college and there were plenty of people well below the poverty line that came in to shop. Target's ideal visitor may be an upper middle class suburban mom, but plenty of lower-income people shop there.

If there's going to be a big-box type retailer, I'd much rather have hometown Target put in a smaller store here than a new Kmart, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 27th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Well if City Target comes in to this area they better be working with a developer for mixed use. Seriously is we break down the Kmart to reopen Nic then we should that as an opportunity to build more mixed use. I'll show my plan in a graphic later but it's always been an idea I've been fond of.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 27th, 2014, 2:16 pm

We have a whole thread for that: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=150 (in which, we have discussed the greater implications of Sears-Kmart's declining business). I'm not sure why the separate topic was necessary, unless we're going to talk about those suburban locations that are closing.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Sears has even said they want to move it to get more traffic. It's the best operating Kmart in the country
I mean, I know this is just a stupid message board, but can you back up either of those statements with a link? Or do you just type whatever you feel like because, y'know, -1 and stuff.
I thought it was rather well-known that this is their best-performing store. I've heard that multiple places outside this board.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 27th, 2014, 8:59 pm

But have any of those multiple places included a source with numbers? I've heard it too, but when you're in an echo chamber you can hear the same thing from many directions.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 27th, 2014, 9:55 pm

No need to be an ass. It took a whole 10 seconds to Google...

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... e-and.html
http://finance-commerce.com/2014/04/kma ... -nicollet/

There's no record of it being the best, but it's been noted as one of the top performers in the country.

If you don't think those organizations are fact-checking what they print, then your beef is with them directly, I suppose...
Last edited by IllogicalJake on October 27th, 2014, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 27th, 2014, 9:58 pm

"one of the chain's stronger-performing stores nationwide."

That's not what he said. His statement was perhaps just a wee bit more definitive, hence why I called it out.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » October 27th, 2014, 10:01 pm

"one of the chain's stronger-performing stores nationwide."

That's not what he said. His statement was perhaps just a wee bit more definitive, hence why I called it out.
Hehe. Either way this is one of those sites I just never have my hopes up for. I can't see Kmart pulling a full Circuit City anytime in the next couple decades.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly