Duval Development

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Duval Development

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 6:03 pm

I feel like we need our own Duval thread because Frey just told me they told him just yesterday that that they've narrowed it down to 2 lots but they haven't told him (for obvious reasons, he sometimes leaks).

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby acs » February 10th, 2015, 6:05 pm

I feel like we need our own Duval thread because Frey just told me they told him just yesterday that they told him the other day that they've narrowed it down to 2 lots but they haven't told him (for obvious reasons, he sometimes leaks).
Umm what? I'm more than a little confused, but Yay? That's great, I think?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Oh god. I'm sorry. I meant the other day. Sorry. I'm on mobile and wanted to spread a bit of excitement. Duval told Frey they have narrowed it down to 2 unnamed lots.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 10th, 2015, 6:35 pm

That's exciting if it holds true, Grant!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 10th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Oh god. I'm sorry. I meant the other day. Sorry. I'm on mobile and wanted to spread a bit of excitement. Duval told Frey they have narrowed it down to 2 unnamed lots.
When did you get a chance to talk to Jacob Frey? I'm a bit surprised that he would leak any inside/non-public information to just anybody, unless perhaps an announcement is imminent. Did he provide any hints at a timeframe? I definitely loved Duval's proposal and would be more than happy to have a building like that downtown, so I hope this rumor holds true.

I wonder which two lots are in play.....if the building is skinny enough without the added platform and public area I wonder if it could fit into a quarter of a downtown block? There certainly aren't too many prominent whole-block parcels left downtown in the core CBD, aside from those that already have proposals under way.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 9:54 pm

When did you get a chance to talk to Jacob Frey? I'm a bit surprised that he would leak any inside/non-public information to just anybody, unless perhaps an announcement is imminent. Did he provide any hints at a timeframe? I definitely loved Duval's proposal and would be more than happy to have a building like that downtown, so I hope this rumor holds true.

I wonder which two lots are in play.....if the building is skinny enough without the added platform and public area I wonder if it could fit into a quarter of a downtown block? There certainly aren't too many prominent whole-block parcels left downtown in the core CBD, aside from those that already have proposals under way.
At this point, anything regarding a possible Duval development should be placed in the Rumors thread.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Is it even a rumors thread anymore? And why would Frey lie to me? I guess it would be a rumor since it hasn't been confirmed by a news source? But this is a city counilman

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 10:08 pm

I'd say its a rumor until it's been confirmed by a press release or city document. A reliable rumor, but a rumor nonetheless.

Suggestion: Move the Duval posts to a new rumors thread, leaving the existing one to be about the retiredbanker saga.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 10th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Is it even a rumors thread anymore? And why would Frey lie to me? I guess it would be a rumor since it hasn't been confirmed by a news source? But this is a city counilman
He's probably not lying but what does Duval mean by his message? I don't see at all how "we've narrowed it to two lots" translates directly to, "we're gonna build this sucker." There's like ten thousand ways those plans could derail before we ever see an announcement of a potential project. Put the statement in its proper context. A developer is looking to build and has a couple of sites in mind. We just happen to know of a previous proposal by this developer which may or may not be the proposal put forward at the new site.

EDIT: That said, I'll not claim that my heart didn't flutter a bit upon reading your post. :)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 10:10 pm

I'd say its a rumor until it's been confirmed by a press release or city document. A reliable rumor, but a rumor nonetheless.

Suggestion: Move the Duval posts to a new rumors thread, leaving the existing one to be about the retiredbanker saga.
Agreed. If there was a thread about rumors we've heard from real people or known reputable sources, it'd be a good place to post stuff like this.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 10th, 2015, 10:22 pm

To be fair, I don't think there's any rules against starting a "Duval Proposed Tower" thread in Anything Goes... Right?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 10th, 2015, 10:25 pm

I feel like we need our own Duval thread because Frey just told me they told him just yesterday that they told him the other day that they've narrowed it down to 2 lots but they haven't told him (for obvious reasons, he sometimes leaks).
OMG. Frey is Texas...Texas is Frey!

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 10th, 2015, 10:30 pm

If an established posted using his real name passes along something he heard from a city councilman, we shouldn't need relegate the post to a "rumors" thread. So much information posted to this site comes out of the exact same context.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2015, 10:32 pm

True enough. I think IllogicalJake has the best solution.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 11th, 2015, 7:39 am

I wasn't suggesting he lied to you. I was trying to eliminate that possibility since it's unlikely he's making anything up....and if that's the case, what does it mean (if anything)? Also, if he's telling this to you then perhaps it's not privy info and perhaps there will be a public announcement following soon. I'm likely just reading into it too much and getting ahead of myself a bit.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Duval Development

Postby Minneboy » February 11th, 2015, 7:57 am

I feel like we need our own Duval thread because Frey just told me they told him just yesterday that that they've narrowed it down to 2 lots but they haven't told him (for obvious reasons, he sometimes leaks).
Maybe it's a prostate issue?

twincitizen

Duval Development

Postby twincitizen » February 11th, 2015, 8:29 am

He's probably not lying but what does Duval mean by his message? I don't see at all how "we've narrowed it to two lots" translates directly to, "we're gonna build this sucker." There's like ten thousand ways those plans could derail before we ever see an announcement of a potential project. Put the statement in its proper context. A developer is looking to build and has a couple of sites in mind. We just happen to know of a previous proposal by this developer which may or may not be the proposal put forward at the new site.
Exactly. I never meant to suggest that Frey (or you, or anyone) was lying. What I meant was that the information you're giving is limited to "Duval is looking at a couple sites," which isn't really substantial news.

I can't be the only one here with a high level of skepticism towards Duval in general.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 11th, 2015, 8:40 am

Yeah I get that. I guess I have more faith in him because he put all this work in to line up Perkins + Will and Thornton Thomasetti to create a very elegant tower to try to change the skyline. From what I took from his LinkedIn, I think he grew up in Minneapolis because it has Blake High School as one of his groups. He went to Harvard for architecture and then worked with Portman Associates on some major developments in China, Korea, Singapore, and the US. I think he's just a man who wants to make a good tower in a great city.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 11th, 2015, 9:25 am

When did you get a chance to talk to Jacob Frey? I'm a bit surprised that he would leak any inside/non-public information to just anybody, unless perhaps an announcement is imminent.
Frey is...chatty. And he's really quite good at drumming up excitement in exactly the areas he wants, whether that's amongst development nerds or giving the perfectly outlandish quote to the media.

Probably of no surprise, but it's a safe bet that if they're talking to Frey, it's his ward. He obviously represents a decent chunk of downtown, but the southern border of his ward is a mix of 7th and 4th streets, no? That potentially limits the number of lots they're eying.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 11th, 2015, 9:45 am

I know this is weak but if I had to take a shot-in-the-dark guess on where this will go I'd say the post office parking ramp. I've only seen Frey speak once while at the river partnership forum, but the three things he did mention specifically were the nicollet hotel block RFP, removing the parking ramp, and something over 40 stories tall.