Rumors!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
trigonalmayhem

Rumors!

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 3rd, 2015, 8:55 am

OK here's a rumor: I'm convinced the conga Latin bistro at 5th and e hennepin in northeast is a front for something because there is never anyone in there yet it's stayed open for a really long time (like at least the entire ten years I've lived here). Either their rent is absurdly dirt cheap or something is shady.

trigonalmayhem

Re: Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am

They also have a budget rental truck semi permanently parked in back that very occasionally goes somewhere but always returns.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 3rd, 2015, 11:06 am

Didn't they recently have a remodel as well? At least to the outside of the building.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 3rd, 2015, 12:25 pm

We used t go there for HH like 10 years ago. It was decent for tropical drinks. I always thought their focus was dance nights.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 12:59 pm

We used t go there for HH like 10 years ago. It was decent for tropical drinks. I always thought their focus was dance nights.
I think that they are more a dance club/bar than a restaurant. But I do know that they serve food there as well. Last few reviews from friends were not very impressive. They used to be in the Happenings books when they were available a few years ago.

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » April 8th, 2015, 11:14 am

In case anyone wants to investigate Conga Latin Bistro on the cheap - click this link...:

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1321 ... food-drink

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 8th, 2015, 1:31 pm

My wife and I went to Conga Latin Bistro just cause we were walking by on a Friday or Saturday night a few months ago. It was packed with dancing and music on the first floor and a dancing to a (12? piece) band playing in the basement. It felt like we were in Havana or maybe Miami, not Minneapolis. The crowd was very diverse with Cubans, Dominicans, Central Americans, West Africans, Mexicans, and others. I'm not a big um... dance guy.. I generally play the wall. But it was fun dancing and absolutely riveting watching those stunning women and dapperly-dressed men dance. Some of the outfits folks were wearing have to be seen to be believed.

It's pretty much a club-like environment- they temporarily confiscated my knife with a wand metal detector on the way in and there was a scuffle resulting in a guy getting tossed out. But in general I highly recommend it as a place to go dancing, get out of your regular comfort zone, or just do something different on a weekend night. My wife still brings it up pretty often, so I guess we'll be back sooner than later.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 8th, 2015, 3:18 pm

So it must be one of those places that does 90% of their business for the week on Friday and Saturday night I guess? I just don't recall it looking that busy on weekends either recently but maybe I just wasn't passing by at the right time.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm

My wife and I went to Conga Latin Bistro just cause we were walking by on a Friday or Saturday night a few months ago. It was packed with dancing and music on the first floor and a dancing to a (12? piece) band playing in the basement. It felt like we were in Havana or maybe Miami, not Minneapolis. The crowd was very diverse with Cubans, Dominicans, Central Americans, West Africans, Mexicans, and others. I'm not a big um... dance guy.. I generally play the wall. But it was fun dancing and absolutely riveting watching those stunning women and dapperly-dressed men dance. Some of the outfits folks were wearing have to be seen to be believed.

It's pretty much a club-like environment- they temporarily confiscated my knife with a wand metal detector on the way in and there was a scuffle resulting in a guy getting tossed out. But in general I highly recommend it as a place to go dancing, get out of your regular comfort zone, or just do something different on a weekend night. My wife still brings it up pretty often, so I guess we'll be back sooner than later.
That just sounds fun! Live music can do amazing things to people -- make them move and dance like they may not have otherwise.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » May 10th, 2015, 9:39 am

Loewenberg is coming back to Minneapolis.....
Meet me in Wells

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 10th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Live music can do amazing things to people -- make them move and dance like they may not have otherwise.
Very true! With a live band, the dancers and the band feed off each others' energy. If you get a good connection between the two, watch out!

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » June 1st, 2015, 9:49 am

Any rumors on what's going on just north of Cinco De Mayo Mercado on Nicollet Ave? There was a 3 bedroom house with an attached commercial brick building right on the curb:

https://goo.gl/maps/poqZg

The house has been demolished and the brick building is still standing but I'm guessing it's coming down soon as well. It looks like the Mercado's owners purchased the property towards the end of 2014 and they own the vacant lot between it and the Mercado. All three are zoned C1. Perhaps a major expansion of the store? The store is pretty tightly packed with product and there's always a lot of shoppers inside making it difficult to move around.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 1st, 2015, 10:17 am

Any rumors on what's going on just north of Cinco De Mayo Mercado on Nicollet Ave? There was a 3 bedroom house with an attached commercial brick building right on the curb:

https://goo.gl/maps/poqZg

The house has been demolished and the brick building is still standing but I'm guessing it's coming down soon as well. It looks like the Mercado's owners purchased the property towards the end of 2014 and they own the vacant lot between it and the Mercado. All three are zoned C1. Perhaps a major expansion of the store? The store is pretty tightly packed with product and there's always a lot of shoppers inside making it difficult to move around.
That would be great. Although they are soon going to have some competition from the Seward Co-Op. They've been the only market around and the Co-Op will only be 1/3 mile away.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Re: Rumors!

Postby ztr421 » June 26th, 2015, 7:46 am

I have a friend who works at a shop in the North Loop, and he said a group of executive-types or scouts from Shake Shack was checking out the neighborhood recently.

I did a quick google and there are a few recent stories online about their expansion plans/potential...

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 26th, 2015, 12:49 pm

I have had Shake Shack before. Was not all that impressed considering the hype. I much perfer In-N-Out burger, but we all know that will never make it to Minnesota.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 26th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Shake Shack will likely go in MC^2 and the execs/scouts were just looking to see the potential of the neighborhood for who would come to the restaurant.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 26th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Shake Shack could anchor concessions at The Commons like they do at their original location in Madison Square Park?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 26th, 2015, 1:13 pm

I'm be a fan of both of those ideas.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 26th, 2015, 10:47 pm

I have a friend who works at a shop in the North Loop, and he said a group of executive-types or scouts from Shake Shack was checking out the neighborhood recently.

I did a quick google and there are a few recent stories online about their expansion plans/potential...
I e-mailed them about it

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » June 29th, 2015, 7:06 am

I heard a rumor that Froggie's in town for a couple days. I heard another rumor that he'll be at Groundswell this evening...