Rumors!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
jw138
Union Depot

Re: Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Postby jw138 » July 15th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Any rumors on what's going on just north of Cinco De Mayo Mercado on Nicollet Ave?
FWIW, someone told me they overheard a Mercado employee saying that it'll be apartments. No idea how large or if it'll include mixed use.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Rumors!

Postby Didier » July 17th, 2015, 11:10 am

Did you guys know there is a place on 1st Avenue called the Consortium?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 17th, 2015, 9:05 pm

I chuckle to myself every time I walk by, and think that I should post about it. Then I always forget. I'm glad you brought it up!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 31st, 2015, 8:21 pm

Random note, I guess this belongs in rumors because it is a rumor! I heard from someone with contacts at Macy's downtown that managers are being told the building will be sold, and Macy's will lease back 4 floors and renovate. Supposedly to be announced very soon. Hope that is true, as I have been convinced they will close lately. This source said that somehow the old Hudson's would be used for a new entrance for the other portion of the building, and that the 8th floor auditorium would also remain part of the lease. I know the person has legit connections to Macy's store managers, and follows this sort of thing closely...but who knows if they would even be in the know. Just sayin...In case it actually is announced I can say I knew! lol

Really hope it is true...as I have been thinking this store would have the same fate as the Pittsburgh store....

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 1st, 2015, 6:12 pm

Random note, I guess this belongs in rumors because it is a rumor! I heard from someone with contacts at Macy's downtown that managers are being told the building will be sold, and Macy's will lease back 4 floors and renovate. Supposedly to be announced very soon. Hope that is true, as I have been convinced they will close lately. This source said that somehow the old Hudson's would be used for a new entrance for the other portion of the building, and that the 8th floor auditorium would also remain part of the lease. I know the person has legit connections to Macy's store managers, and follows this sort of thing closely...but who knows if they would even be in the know. Just sayin...In case it actually is announced I can say I knew! lol

Really hope it is true...as I have been thinking this store would have the same fate as the Pittsburgh store....
I've thought the old JB Hudson entrance would have made perfect sense for a lobby. keep the elevators out of the main selling floor circulation. When you say 4 floor, I'll take that to mean basement thru 3, as that would give an extra floor for office space in the building above. They will be able to renovate around the new Office section elevators and downsize and reprogram their space to better utilize the current market. If Macy's had closed, I'm sure Nordstrom's would have taken a deal like this one for part of the building for a DT store. The DT retail will return, how big and what for new real space is up in the air. I'd hope the city would take some steeps to make in a better likelihood.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 1st, 2015, 6:31 pm

Any word on what would happen to the SkyRoom and the other restaurant there?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 1st, 2015, 7:10 pm

That's all I heard, and like I said, who knows if it's true? Thought I would share in rumors though.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 2nd, 2015, 8:30 am

I hope the Sky Room stays open... that's one of the best cafeteria deals around.

(Though Nordstrom does that sort of thing as well - the MOA Nordstrom has a great and not-too-spendy restaurant on the top floor of MOA, and I think it may be the only restaurant at MOA with windows to the outside. If you have to be in a mall for some reason, at least the windows are there to humanize the experience.)

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 2nd, 2015, 8:38 am

I wonder what they'll do with the oval room too...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 2nd, 2015, 2:27 pm

Congrats on posting the rumor here before it become public!

Minneapolis Macy's getting a buyer
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... polis.html

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 2nd, 2015, 9:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I hear Duffey Paper is moving selling several buildings in the North Loop.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 2nd, 2015, 9:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I hear Duffey Paper is moving selling several buildings in the North Loop.
They have several big and small building which would hold a lot of square footage. Will definitely have to be redeveloped piece meal as the square footage would be a very large under taking, as well as monetarily it would be a big pill to swallow in one chunk. Best thing is the buildings are separate with manageable sizes, though a few are quite big under taking when they get to them. If they are smart, some with go office and other better suited will be residential. Some of those larger buildings would make great office space for the Creative and Technology companies that want an interesting space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2015, 6:36 am

They're the last major industrial user between the viaducts and the river, no? Excepting the Strib printing plant, I suppose.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 3rd, 2015, 8:16 am

Speaking of that Strib plant... I'm surprised they keep it. They could have probably moved to the old west side PiPress plant sandwiched by the river and Holman Field, since PiPress ended up contracting with Strib for printing. Seems like the North Loop real estate would be worth much more than the St. Paul real estate.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mnmike » September 9th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Regarding Macy's...this still makes me nervous...even though it is not what I heard about the downtown store. And the recent articles seemed to confirm the store would remain... still nervous.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/ ... KQ20150908

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 9th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Regarding Macy's...this still makes me nervous...even though it is not what I heard about the downtown store. And the recent articles seemed to confirm the store would remain... still nervous.

With the amount of foot traffic they get, you'd hope they would think first about ways to improve before thinking about closing, if it's a poor performer.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2015, 7:01 pm

With the amount of foot traffic they get, you'd hope they would think first about ways to improve before thinking about closing, if it's a poor performer.
As I've said before, Nordstrom's would like an opportunity to make a go of it downtown. The difference between Macy''s and Nordstrom's is called pure customer service. If Macy''s is not making it, it has to due to perceived customer service. It is part of why Van Muar in EP is still around and looking to possibly expand into Rosedale. Customers will shop where they get the most perceived value. Whether that value is monetary or customer service is up to said customer.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 9th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Why would you think Nordstrom would like to make a go of it downtown? They probably just passed up two opportunities with the Neiman's and Saks buildings. Downtown retail is still struggling....hopefully we are seeing the start of a comeback though. Hopefully.... But that is a discussion we have been over many times. Hopefully Macy's stays (as rumored and mentioned in the article recently) and we see a few more new leases on Nicollet soon. I'm hopeful, but still haven't seen all that much interest, just jockeying around of a couple stores and still a net loss of retail recently.
Last edited by mnmike on September 9th, 2015, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 9th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Well there have been rumors of them scouting out downtown.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 9th, 2015, 8:12 pm

There have? There have been rumors of Nordstrom Rack scouting downtown...that I could certainly see. Half way hoping they could be considering the BMO space, and I'd be very happy to see a rack downtown to compliment the new Off Fifth store! A full fledged department store though...I would be pretty shocked to see open a new location in our downtown, or most downtowns in the US for that matter. Unless you are a tourist destination, you are pretty lucky to keep a large department store downtown these days...