Rumors!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Rumors!

Postby Wedgeguy » September 10th, 2015, 8:31 am

Up until lately they have had their plate full with the Ridgedale store. A part of me thinks that they might have liked the Saks location, but the timing and price might not have worked for them at the time. I know I feel that the Walgreen's move was a wasted opportunity for the mall. I feel Walgreen's could have been a better fit at another location.

Time will tell if Macy's management get pull their head out of their *** and understand why Nordstrom's and Von Muar are expanding and Macy's is clueless on what their customers want. Dayton's thrived because of customer service. Something that Macy's does not feel it has to provide in my understanding of their approach from associates that have since left the stores. Remember this is all my take on how I see things. Maybe Macy''s is finally getting the drift, They are making changes that I don't know about. But with the repopulation of DT with people with extra spending money. I don't see the old Dayton's space staying empty when you have the potential of an expanding customer base. Again it will be up to Macy's management to show their customer base that they have when they want and have the service that those customers expect.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 10th, 2015, 8:43 am

It's OT but WTH, this is Rumors! in Anything Goes!... I would have loved to see Nordstrom take over the old Nieman Marcus space, instead of Center Point Energy. Seems like the corner of 5th and Nicollet will be much more prominent going forward since it's the main transit corner downtown

Now with that space being gone, I wonder if Nordstrom could take over a few floors of Renaissance Square across the street. How hard could it be to convert a few levels into a department store? IIRC when I worked for Xcel and they had offices in there, the building had a large light well/atrium in the middle which would work great for vertical circulation between floors.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 10th, 2015, 8:49 am

It's OT but WTH, this is Rumors! in Anything Goes!... Seems like the corner of 5th and Nicollet will be much more prominent going forward since it's the main transit corner downtown
On that note, what are the chances anything could get built in that little park on the northwest corner of 5th/Nicollet in front of Xcel?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 10th, 2015, 8:51 am

No chance. The substation that feeds downtown is under that plaza.

Here's a time-lapse of when a transformer was replaced a few years ago:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v32338cAJBE
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » September 10th, 2015, 9:02 am

I have a friend that works at corporate Buffalo Wild Wings and he was saying they are really interested in opening up near U.S. Bank Stadium and the new Wells Fargo Buildings. Apparently they are really happy with the TCF location at the U and think it would be a good fit there too. All the events at the stadium plus the lunch crowd of all those new office workers there.

It might even be a kind of "flagship" location and wouldn't be a franchise, but run by the company.

Not sure where that would go though and maybe that's part of the issue that we haven't heard more about it yet.

Maybe Hubert's wants to sell?lol

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 10th, 2015, 9:16 am

Likely one of the retail spaces in the Wells Fargo buildings.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 13th, 2015, 2:27 pm

What about the "high-profile" space in the jail-blocking building? That doesn't have to be a fancy restaurant.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 13th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Are you talking about The Edition? I thought that only had one 2,000 sq ft space? Would not fit at all.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 13th, 2015, 2:36 pm

I was, but now I'm not anymore. :P

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 13th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Are there PDF's for the Edition buildings out there??

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 18th, 2015, 10:17 am

I was looking through, trying to find a tab for the parking lot next to the Young Quinlan building. I had forgotten that Hines had a deal with the property owner to develop on this site. I talked with someone this morning that said they have plans for a 30 story building on this site, but have not and will not submit anything to the city until they have tenants lined up.
Does anyone have any other information about this site?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 18th, 2015, 10:24 am

Exciting! Will be sad to block the mural but Schmitt has been gone for a long time. I loved going to that store.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 18th, 2015, 10:46 am

I can't be the only one who thinks 30 stories is too short for this prime site.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Yup. Would probably be as tall as Hotel Ivy.

Unless it's office, then think ATT tower.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 18th, 2015, 12:16 pm

"Getting tenants lined up" implies that it'll be at least partially office, no?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Yes. I just re-read the post by nordeast and edited mine to say that. If this is legit, this could be another amazing project by Hines.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » September 18th, 2015, 12:37 pm

This is a rumor I'm starting. I was out for a jog last night checking out the Stadium, Wells Fargo buildings, parking ramp & the Thresher block that will be developed. Then I noticed the large quarter block surface parking lot between the Spaghetti Factory and Sawadee, so I looked it up and it looks like the owner has the same address as Garden Homes Management, which is owned by the Wilfs. So my rumor is the Wilfs will build...something...sometime...on that surface lot.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » September 18th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Pickard Chilton still? Probably Pickard Chilton...
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 18th, 2015, 3:26 pm

I was looking through, trying to find a tab for the parking lot next to the Young Quinlan building. I had forgotten that Hines had a deal with the property owner to develop on this site. I talked with someone this morning that said they have plans for a 30 story building on this site, but have not and will not submit anything to the city until they have tenants lined up.
Does anyone have any other information about this site?
Hines either owns or has an option on that piece of land. I think they secured that site about the same time as when Target built their first corporate tower. At that time Hines had hoped to do a building similar to what Retek building was, an overflow office space for vendors of Target. But I think the mall location of Retek won out in that battle. So Hines like many other developers has had plans for the site for almost 25+ years. With all of the other activity they maybe are looking to get their profile back out there again with this particular site.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 18th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Thank you Wedge.