Rumors!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Rumors!

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 20th, 2015, 9:24 pm

30 floors (of office) would be what I'd consider the expectation "floor" to be for that site. If there were a serious office boom again (and not the current state) I could see that number potentially double.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » September 22nd, 2015, 9:19 pm

The 614 Co. owns the site by the Schmidt music building and they have talked with every developer over the past 15 years. Hines is the most recent. You'd think The TCF site would be redeveloped first.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 20th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Sometimes, it pays to read the Strib comments. On the article about the new Carlson office building:
Justmeg103 says:
Rumor has it that several floors of the 701 Carlson occupied tower is going to be subleased to an outside tenant. Also, Travel currently occupies a number of floors, but rumors indicate they are going to move out of the tower because it is too expensive. It is also discussed within the company that the hotel CEO, David Berg, would like to move the offices to downtown Mpls, near the new football stadium. Coincidently that is where a Radisson Red hotel is being built.
http://www.startribune.com/14-story-off ... 334207741/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 20th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Sometimes, it pays to read the Strib comments. On the article about the new Carlson office building:
Justmeg103 says:
Rumor has it that several floors of the 701 Carlson occupied tower is going to be subleased to an outside tenant. Also, Travel currently occupies a number of floors, but rumors indicate they are going to move out of the tower because it is too expensive. It is also discussed within the company that the hotel CEO, David Berg, would like to move the offices to downtown Mpls, near the new football stadium. Coincidently that is where a Radisson Red hotel is being built.
http://www.startribune.com/14-story-off ... 334207741/
Wonder how many SF they are looking to take. I know PwC just signed a big lease in the old Mark VIII building so don't know how much space is left there, PcW made it 96% occupied. Maybe they can take some of that 4 story office space that Ryan will be building behind the west WF tower. Those should be some nice sized floor plates and would be right across from the Red and near the stadium.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 20th, 2015, 9:51 pm

The Carlson towers are huge though. Even if several floors of one of the towers are empty, if they moved their entire HQ workforce downtown that's enough for them to get their own building for sure. If this is true (there's nothing to say this is), the city should absolutely jump on this chance to win a major company back from the suburbs. Now, what could the city subtly give them to make this happen without alerting the suburbanites? Oh wait, I heard the city is also in advanced stages talking about building a massive new convention center hotel. They might need someone to run that I think.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 20th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Their marketing alone is over 1000 employees

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 20th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Supertall office tower on the MSFA ramp liner parcel. You heard it here first!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » October 21st, 2015, 7:08 am

Oooh very intriguing! Did you hear this from someone in the know? Be as vague or descriptive as you want, we are in the Rumors section after all... :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 21st, 2015, 7:19 am

But from the sounds of the "rumor" it's only the hotels ceo that wants to move downtown, so that would be one division right? Not the entire Carlson companies

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » October 21st, 2015, 7:35 am

The Carlson towers are huge though. Even if several floors of one of the towers are empty, if they moved their entire HQ workforce downtown that's enough for them to get their own building for sure. If this is true (there's nothing to say this is), the city should absolutely jump on this chance to win a major company back from the suburbs. Now, what could the city subtly give them to make this happen without alerting the suburbanites? Oh wait, I heard the city is also in advanced stages talking about building a massive new convention center hotel. They might need someone to run that I think.
Yeah the recent planning commission talks about hospitality around the convention center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etxJ3DYn3eY

Go to 17:15, kind of confusing but they say they don't want 10 story height limit around the convention center because it limits the new development.
Meet me in Wells

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 21st, 2015, 7:59 am

Why was there a 10 story height limit around the convention center anyways?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 21st, 2015, 8:07 am

Why was there a 10 story height limit around the convention center anyways?
Probably to preserve the views of residents who live nearby. Seems like an odd thing to try to preserve considering it could inhibit so much tax-revenue-generating development....

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 21st, 2015, 8:09 am

Does acs or Silophant have any kind of timeframe regarding their respective rumored developments?

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » October 21st, 2015, 8:23 am

Does acs or Silophant have any kind of timeframe regarding their respective rumored developments?
I think silophant was joking.
Meet me in Wells

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 21st, 2015, 8:34 am

I have no idea, I was just re-posting something from the Strib comments section. I was then speculating that if the desire is there to move Carlson headquarters downtown, in order to grease the wheels the city could "give" Carlson the operations at a potential convention center hotel. Actually, forget it. If we're going to build the state's signature hotel I'd want it to be run by a local company anyways.

The other part is the travelers potentially moving out due to cost. Would they be able to send them to St. Paul and have room even after they sold one of their downtown towers?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 21st, 2015, 8:35 am

Yep, I was just riffing off of Grant's post about how big Carlson is. Probably could/should have added an emoji of some sort.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 21st, 2015, 8:36 am

From the "rumor" it sounds like the CEO wants to have a presence near the stadium. Other than Ryan proposal, I know of nothing else in the immediate area for lower rent Office space. I doubt they need 400,000 SF, but the Baker Block will soon have an opening and an upgrade to its office space. There it is in the core, but would have lower rent than a class A building. Maybe if they were lead tenant in the investors section, they could get naming right to that section of the block. Just a thought. Again if this rumor holds water .

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 21st, 2015, 8:44 am

If Carlson was going to move downtown and vacate some existing space, why would a developer be building a new Class A tower on their current 494 property?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 21st, 2015, 9:02 am

If Carlson was going to move downtown and vacate some existing space, why would a developer be building a new Class A tower on their current 494 property?
IS the owner of the 701 the same as the owner of the property where the new tower will be built. The 701 was built in the 90's and the new tower can be built with any new technology built right in and not have to be retro fitted in. So if they are different owners then they would have different objectives.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2015, 9:22 am

... I was then speculating that if the desire is there to move Carlson headquarters downtown, in order to grease the wheels the city could "give" Carlson the operations at a potential convention center hotel. Actually, forget it. If we're going to build the state's signature hotel I'd want it to be run by a local company anyways... ?

Did someone say 'signature hotel?'

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.