Presidential Election 2016

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Presidential Election 2016

Postby grant1simons2 » March 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm

Well the good thing is Ken Martin and Gov. Dayton both support moving to a primary or at least a hybrid system.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 4th, 2016, 7:20 pm

I do understand that it's pretty difficult to get in at a certain time, but I was able to find a absentee ballot online pretty easily, and you're allowed to have one of your neighbors bring it in.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 4th, 2016, 7:28 pm

There was no absentee voting for the preference ballot so... I don't know what you found.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 5th, 2016, 7:47 am

That's weird...

https://www.dfl.org/about-our-party/cau ... nventions/

http://www.dfl.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... n-form.pdf

... they go through all that and then in the fine print it says, even though there's a spot for presidential preference, it's not an actual ballot.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 5th, 2016, 12:11 pm

That's weird...

https://www.dfl.org/about-our-party/cau ... nventions/

http://www.dfl.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... n-form.pdf

... they go through all that and then in the fine print it says, even though there's a spot for presidential preference, it's not an actual ballot.
Well, it's not exactly fine print but your point stands: to somebody who doesn't understand caucuses, it looks like a presidential preference ballot. The reason they're asking for your preference even though it doesn't constitute a ballot is that one can use this form to be considered as a delegate, and often delegate selection happens by subcaucusing around candidates or issues. So by indicating a preference, you can be considered by the right subcaucus as a potential delegate. If you don't state a preference and they decide to subcaucus around a candidate, you're pretty guaranteed to not be selected as a delegate.

Now the question of *why* it doesn't count as a presidential preference ballot is a bit baffling since these forms have more legal standing than the actual ballots used (what with having signatures on them and being verifiably traceable to an individual). The process certainly isn't airtight enough for this form to introduce any higher risk of fraud. Somebody who wanted to correct this could get herself / himself named to the rules committee at the state convention and try to change it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Presidential Election 2016

Postby Anondson » March 5th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Thought: It seems the past few weeks of primaries and caucuses have solidified a few ideas I've long held.

1. Caucuses are rather exclusionary, ideal for party insiderism, not so much for increasing participation. I'm glad so many voices chimed in with proposals to ditch in favor of primaries.

2. I'm all for parties running themselves for the benefit of the party, keeping outside meddling and shenanigans low. Preventing mischief where people with intentions against the party are allowed to participate in the outcome of a party's nomination. I'm in favor of parties keeping their caucuses or primaries only for registered party members. Why? Seeing Trump do worst in states where primaries and caucuses are closed, instead of open, gives me the thought that parties just might be better off only allowing party members from casting votes for party nominations.

3. Overly wide window voting and cruelly short window voting are both not good. In caucus/primary season, absentee voting weeks ahead of time is just ... something feels absurd about it when dynamics change so much when the field can have so many choices even as choices drop out. Absentee voting in caucus/primary season should at least offer ranked voting. With this, I believe voting (primaries, but especially election voting) should be held over two entire days where all employers are required to give all employees one or the other day off as holiday to vote.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 7th, 2016, 10:34 am

On closed versus open, I think the benefit of welcoming new people into the process outweighs the harm of potential shenanigans. I think strategic cross overs are actually pretty rare, and I'm not willing to give up the option of someone participating for the first time because the GOP is a nuthouse. And really, do we think the new participants voting for Trump aren't "real" GOP voters? Why?

Agreed as to 3. Primary/caucus voting is too early in the process to be done by absentee way in advance.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 14th, 2016, 4:28 pm

The Amalgamated Transit Union endorses Bernie Sanders

"Another Major Union Just Endorsed Bernie Sanders" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/02/1 ... 62218.html

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » March 14th, 2016, 8:30 pm

A quick bit of motivated reasoning:

I'm seeing some Bernie supporters lamenting that Hillary wins big in states that will not go for the Dems in November, presumably implying that there's some unfairness there somewhere.

Perhaps, but historically winning at least some of the south has been essential to electing a Dem (Obama reelection, VA & FL; Obama election; VA, NC, & FL; Clinton reelection, AR, LA, FL, TN & KY; Clinton election: AR, LA, TN, KY & GA; Carter swept the south in arguably a different era). Today, Dem success in the south depends on black voter turnout and for whatever reason, Bernie doesn't seem to be inspiring black voters. If he was the nominee and unable to keep, for example, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida in play, that would be a big disadvantage.

Maybe that's unfair and black voters in the south would be excited to turn out for Bernie as the nominee. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not sure I understand exactly why they are breaking so strongly for Hillary.
I see this come up a lot and what some people don't understand is that it's completely irrelevant whether a state like South Carolina or Mississippi goes for the Democrats in November. This is about choosing the candidate that will represent the party this fall. Whether you live in Minneapolis or Memphis, those votes matter.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 27th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Cruz/Fiorina. I can't even.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Because that strategy worked so well for McCain.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 27th, 2016, 3:33 pm

You can trash Fiorina on a lot of things, but she's hardly in the same class as Palin.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 27th, 2016, 3:55 pm

You're right. She's never been elected to govern anything before.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 27th, 2016, 5:29 pm

I'm OK with this because Cruz will never ever win a general election. Literally the worst person running for president.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 27th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Oh, I'm more than OK with it. It's absolutely hilarious to me and illustrates yet another reason why he's completely and utterly incompetent and unfit for the job.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 27th, 2016, 10:02 pm

But he knows his basketball!

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » April 28th, 2016, 8:41 am

But he knows his basketball!
Ringball, please.

Mitt SchIsaac
Block E

Postby Mitt SchIsaac » April 30th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Did anyone hear about the new york politician who promised to take cyanide if Ted Cruz became president. Classic!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 4th, 2016, 10:14 am

So uh... Trump, huh?

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 4th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Ted Cruz may have lost this time, but he shall return every 4 years for millenia until he becomes human president! Ted Cruz 2116!
http://www.tedcruzforhumanpresident.com/