Presidential Election 2016

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Presidential Election 2016

Postby bapster2006 » September 13th, 2016, 11:09 am

Seems like the legal mechanism when a major party fails to meet state law should be a fine or some other sanction, not removing a name from a ballot in a national race.
I personally spoke to Steve Simon today, and he stated what you did. There are other remedies to correct this situation without going straight to the "death penalty."

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » September 14th, 2016, 10:29 am

I can't bring myself to vote for Hillary due to my anti-dynasty stance I've outlined before, though I'm planning to evaluate the option of writing in Tim Kaine's name for president and someone else for VP.
How would it be a "dynasty?" Is she Bill's sister?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 24th, 2016, 8:26 am

1. A look at the 12 Gubernatorial races happening in 2016 - many of them in red states, and many of them very very close. 8/12 seats are currently held by Democrats. http://cookpolitical.com/story/10110

According to this article, Democrats could potentially hold on to MO, MT, and WV, while picking up Indiana and North Carolina. Of those 12 races, the only states where Democrats don't have a chance are Utah and North Dakota.

2. A look at 30 close US House races: http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/10/24 ... -democrats Democrats are likely to make gains, but a majority still seems out of reach.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » October 26th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Doubtful that we get a workable majority within a decade. Demographic change won't be enough to overcome the incumbent party-backlash in 2018, where we'll lose the Senate (and more state governments). I don't look forward to 2020, which could be a democratic wipe-out, right before redistricting.

By the time enough older white voters die and are replaced with more diverse younger voters, if some of our pressing crises aren't addressed, our two choices will be George Lincoln Rockwell and "Father" Charles Coughlin in 2028. :(

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 26th, 2016, 10:19 pm

So AMC is showing election night coverage in their theaters. To prevent issues with/exacerbate the partisan divide, they're doing this at two theaters in each metro area, and designating one as blue and one as red in each, based on voter registration. Here, the 'red' theater is Southdale, and the 'blue' is Eden Prairie. Maybe my stereotypes are miscalibrated, but if I had to assign the colors to those two theaters, I think I would have gone the other way around.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 27th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Blue bomb, anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » October 28th, 2016, 8:58 am

So AMC is showing election night coverage in their theaters. To prevent issues with/exacerbate the partisan divide, they're doing this at two theaters in each metro area, and designating one as blue and one as red in each, based on voter registration. Here, the 'red' theater is Southdale, and the 'blue' is Eden Prairie. Maybe my stereotypes are miscalibrated, but if I had to assign the colors to those two theaters, I think I would have gone the other way around.
The deepest red one should be in Coon Rapids, no? The blue should probably be in Roseville. Those would be my stereotypes, considering the AMC locations.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 1st, 2016, 9:52 pm

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... ecast#plus

Any bets on which of Hillary's firewall states would be most likely to defect to give Orange Hitler the presidency? With all the swing states moving towards Trump, only one firewall state would be needed to put him over the top.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » November 2nd, 2016, 9:00 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... ry-clinton

If this is true, and Pennsylvania holds (it will), Orange Hitler is going to the dustbin.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » November 2nd, 2016, 9:08 am

Unless the SEPTA strike lasts through election day and significantly affects turnout in Philadelphia. That could easily put Pennsylvania into "too close to call" territory.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 2nd, 2016, 10:01 am

Does anyone have recommendations for good organizations or in-the-know people to look for as far as local endorsements? The newspaper endorsements are always helpful, but curious more about the local races they don't always cover.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 2nd, 2016, 10:05 am

To be sure, there are quite a few "in-the-know" people here, if people are willing to share their thoughts.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 2nd, 2016, 10:09 am

Specific races you're wondering about? My ballot looked pretty straightforward.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 2nd, 2016, 10:24 am

Naomi Kritzer's blog is always a good read around election time: https://naomikritzer.com/ (scroll past the presidential stuff to get to local races)

She wrote a ton about the Minneapolis city elections 3 years ago. I hope she never stops providing this valuable service.

How are folks around here voting on the constitutional amendment about legislative pay? I voted yes, but I don't feel too strongly about it. In a world with ideal politics and a totally informed, non-angry citizenry, I think legislators could be responsible for setting their own pay, but in the real world it obviously doesn't work like that. The legislature hasn't successfully voted to increase their pay since the 1990s, and yet the airwaves are full of attack ads crapping on Terri Bonoff for having previously voted for pay increases (which again, didn't actually pass). While I said I didn't feel strongly, I HATE the status quo that the responsibility to raise legislative pay falls to the party currently in the majority, then they get whacked in the next election for doing so. That's just shitty. So yeah, I'm in favor of legislators getting paid more, so we can retain more Katie Siebens and Carly Melins and Branden Petersens through their prime working years. And the only way to accomplish that is to hand it off to this independent board.

P.S. Just for funsies, I voted for the Legal Marijuana Now candidate over Keith Ellison. Keith is obviously going to win by a wide margin, so he doesn't need my vote (though to be clear, I obviously like and support Keith). Fun fact: the LMN candidate (Dennis Schuller) used to be a Richfield planning commissioner.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » November 2nd, 2016, 10:29 am

About the Philly SEPTA strike, I've been assured by many people in the area that not only are all polls within walking distance in the city, but SEPTA workers have already stated that the strike will be temporarily suspended on election day.

From SEPTA's statement:
‘We are hopeful that a tentative agreement will be reached before Election Day. If we foresee an agreement will not come to pass, SEPTA intends to seek to enjoin the strike for November 8th to ensure that the strike does not prevent any voters from getting to the polls and exercising their right to vote.’

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 2nd, 2016, 11:59 am

How are folks around here voting on the constitutional amendment about legislative pay?
I voted yes, more or less agree with what you said about why. Our legislators are grossly underpaid, if want want quality legislators. While they theoretically could fix that, I think it makes sense to facilitate it in a way that comes with less political cost. Or, in other words, "so and so voted for his own raise" is a cheap political attack that I won't miss.

I also voted for to keep the extra money for Minneapolis schools.

Hudson for Supreme Court should be pretty obvious.

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » November 2nd, 2016, 12:26 pm

Not endorsements per se, but usually the neighborhood newspapers will print up some detail about the candidates in the local races. While it's not comprehensive, it could give some insight and be useful when looking who to vote for. The League of Women Voters also does town hall debates, some of which are still available online to rewatch if you're wanting to sit through the debates.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 3rd, 2016, 1:21 pm

To answer my own question, it looks like NH would be the tipping point state.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... ry-clinton

If this is true, and Pennsylvania holds (it will), Orange Hitler is going to the dustbin.
We'd need to see how many democrats are voting for Trump, as there could be substantial cross-over from both parties. Plus early voting =/= all voting, and this isn't even raw data, but a single poll (which doesn't have much veracity on its own). The data seems mixed anyways (see below) and the media will report whatever it wants for clicks.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/florida-e ... ffiliated/

Edit: If Trump wins NH, the map would look like this:
And if McMullen wins Utah...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 3rd, 2016, 5:43 pm

North Carolina is going to go Clintons way I think.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » November 4th, 2016, 7:24 am

I agree. There are enough significant blue enclaves in NC to give it to Clinton.