Public trash cans

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
trigonalmayhem

Public trash cans

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 4th, 2015, 12:22 pm

I did a search and came up empty, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been noticing that there's really no rhyme or reason to the placement (or more specifically the lack thereof) of sidewalk trash cans in Minneapolis. There's cans way off the beaten path on neighborhood side streets but other busy commercial areas and heavily used bus stops are completely lacking (which generally leads to a lot of littering). Does anyone know how the city decides where to put these and if there is a way to get them to consider placing new ones?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3896
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Public trash cans

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2015, 12:25 pm

They are generally requested by business or homeonwers.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3896
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Public trash cans

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

trigonalmayhem

Re: Public trash cans

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 4th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Wait seriously they make people pay or empty it themselves? No wonder there's so much trash everywhere. I get there is a cost but what are property taxes for? Can they at least force 'problem' properties to pony up for one if there's always trash lying around? Also what about bus stops? Metro transit should probably kick in for them at busy stops.

This is kind of absurd but I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Chava
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 186
Joined: March 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm
Location: NE MPLS

Re: Public trash cans

Postby Chava » August 5th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Good point! As I walk around Hennepin and 1st Avenue NE I'm always wondering why there is so much broken glass and trash everywhere. You have me thinking it's because there is really nowhere for people to toss the trash. Sure, they could carry their trash with them, but it's not happening. It raises another point, do any of the business owners give a shit that there is garbage all over the place? Geeze.

I always recall there being trash cans all around Chicago, especially in dense commercial corridors, and usually at bus stops. The cans were emptied weekly by city garbage crews. Not sure if there was a special assessment charged to business owners or what. Sure, some people didn't bother at times and there was trash to be found on the streets, but there were plenty of people using the bins as they were jammed packed come garbage day. And yes, I know, higher taxes in Chicago.

User avatar
Nathan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3875
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

Re: Public trash cans

Postby Nathan » August 5th, 2015, 8:02 pm

It drives me insane that there's only one trash can per corner from Franklin to lake on hen and Lyn... I feel like they should be at least on two corners so you don't have to cross the street twice.

clf
Metrodome
Posts: 96
Joined: February 11th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Re: Public trash cans

Postby clf » August 6th, 2015, 10:44 am

There used to be more all around the city. Over the last 10 years they have been removed as the city no longer wanted to pay for trash pick up. You could find one at almost every bus stop.

User avatar
Tiller
Foshay Tower
Posts: 847
Joined: January 17th, 2015, 11:58 am

Re: Public trash cans

Postby Tiller » August 6th, 2015, 10:50 am

Rolling out trash cans like these could be a good solution.
Lower cost + more trash cans = win!

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/solar- ... lion-bucks

Edit: We may not want to use those specific models, though.

http://www.treehugger.com/solar-technol ... esign.html

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4726
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Public trash cans

Postby David Greene » August 6th, 2015, 11:08 am

I basically hate using any trash can with a cover/lid/door because it is so disgusting. One of these with a door that automatically closes when compacting but is open otherwise might work well.

Maybe I'm biased but somehow I don't think residents here would generally just throw trash on the ground around these things, at least not to the extent that it seems to happen in Philly. People always comment on how clean it is here. Compared to New York, hell yeah. I really think there is a difference in culture, tidyness-wide.

EOst
Capella Tower
Posts: 2334
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Location: North End, Saint Paul

Re: Public trash cans

Postby EOst » August 6th, 2015, 11:38 am

This only happened once a few months back, but it stuck in my mind: A couple once got on the 18 with a bag of McDonalds they were eating. After they'd finished, they very neatly put all the remnants and wrappers back in the bag, walked to the back door of the bus, opened it, and casually dumped the bag out onto the street. Then they returned to their seats.

I guess what I'm saying is that some people just want to see the world burn.

trigonalmayhem

Re: Public trash cans

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 7th, 2015, 6:42 am

Chava wrote:Good point! As I walk around Hennepin and 1st Avenue NE I'm always wondering why there is so much broken glass and trash everywhere. You have me thinking it's because there is really nowhere for people to toss the trash. Sure, they could carry their trash with them, but it's not happening. It raises another point, do any of the business owners give a shit that there is garbage all over the place? Geeze.

I always recall there being trash cans all around Chicago, especially in dense commercial corridors, and usually at bus stops. The cans were emptied weekly by city garbage crews. Not sure if there was a special assessment charged to business owners or what. Sure, some people didn't bother at times and there was trash to be found on the streets, but there were plenty of people using the bins as they were jammed packed come garbage day. And yes, I know, higher taxes in Chicago.
This is the area where I live and what made me think about it in the first place. It's a white castle wonderland around there.

Chava
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 186
Joined: March 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm
Location: NE MPLS

Re: Public trash cans

Postby Chava » August 7th, 2015, 8:00 am

trigonalmayhem wrote:
Chava wrote:Good point! As I walk around Hennepin and 1st Avenue NE I'm always wondering why there is so much broken glass and trash everywhere. You have me thinking it's because there is really nowhere for people to toss the trash. Sure, they could carry their trash with them, but it's not happening. It raises another point, do any of the business owners give a shit that there is garbage all over the place? Geeze.

I always recall there being trash cans all around Chicago, especially in dense commercial corridors, and usually at bus stops. The cans were emptied weekly by city garbage crews. Not sure if there was a special assessment charged to business owners or what. Sure, some people didn't bother at times and there was trash to be found on the streets, but there were plenty of people using the bins as they were jammed packed come garbage day. And yes, I know, higher taxes in Chicago.
This is the area where I live and what made me think about it in the first place. It's a white castle wonderland around there.
White Castle, broken bottles, and various other goods! Sounds like we're neighbors. Shall we meet at the next NIEBNA meeting and bring it up? My glass filled shoes would appreciate it!

mnjimn
Block E
Posts: 24
Joined: April 23rd, 2014, 7:54 am

Re: Public trash cans

Postby mnjimn » August 14th, 2015, 10:49 am

Chava wrote:
trigonalmayhem wrote:
Chava wrote:Good point! As I walk around Hennepin and 1st Avenue NE I'm always wondering why there is so much broken glass and trash everywhere. You have me thinking it's because there is really nowhere for people to toss the trash. Sure, they could carry their trash with them, but it's not happening. It raises another point, do any of the business owners give a shit that there is garbage all over the place? Geeze.

I always recall there being trash cans all around Chicago, especially in dense commercial corridors, and usually at bus stops. The cans were emptied weekly by city garbage crews. Not sure if there was a special assessment charged to business owners or what. Sure, some people didn't bother at times and there was trash to be found on the streets, but there were plenty of people using the bins as they were jammed packed come garbage day. And yes, I know, higher taxes in Chicago.
This is the area where I live and what made me think about it in the first place. It's a white castle wonderland around there.
White Castle, broken bottles, and various other goods! Sounds like we're neighbors. Shall we meet at the next NIEBNA meeting and bring it up? My glass filled shoes would appreciate it!

Yeah, this area can be pretty dirty. It'd be cool if someday the area businesses/buildings would pool together and have someone sweep the streets on a more regular basis. With all of the upcoming developments, maybe it's time to extend the DID's reach across the river. I often wish that someone (Wells Fargo maybe) would get on Conga Latin Bistro to clean up 5th street once a week. After every weekend that block is littered with beer bottles, broken glass and those annoying postcard event fliers. They should be a good neighbor and clean up after their patrons.

trigonalmayhem

Re: Public trash cans

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 14th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Shit I would love if they'd spread the DID love up through NIEBNA. Anything north of 4th is pretty filthy and the sidewalks are in terrible disrepair.

trigonalmayhem

Re: Public trash cans

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 27th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I don't know if someone important reads this or if it's just a coincidence but a wild trash can from the city recently appeared by the bus stop at 5th and Central. If someone is reading, thank you!

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6191
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Public trash cans

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Replying to something upthread a bit, but I believe there is some kind of agreement between Metro Transit and the city on trash cans at bus stops. I have no idea what that agreement is, but I'm sure there's something. Metro Transit does have their own trash crew to take care of transit centers, park & rides, LRT platforms, etc. But it would be pretty silly for Metro Transit to be out taking care of the trash cans at regular city bus stops every block...especially if the city already has crews out there doing non-bus-affiliated general trash pick-up. I am fairly certain those receptacles are city responsibility and not Metro Transit.

Then you've got BID areas like the DID, LynLake, etc. Not sure if they contract for their own pickup or simply pay the city for the higher level of maintenance in those areas.

nate
Landmark Center
Posts: 285
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Re: Public trash cans

Postby nate » September 2nd, 2015, 11:59 am

I live near Lexington station on the green line, and can testify that even with generous numbers of trash/recycling cans, people still litter like crazy on the platform. Drives me nuts.


Return to “Anything Goes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest