Zombie Pub Crawl

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
MNdible
is great.

Zombie Pub Crawl

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 2:33 pm

I've never been to the Zombie Pub Crawl, so maybe this is typical. But this year's set-up looks intense. They're looking at closing down a big chunk of 1st Avenue and 5th Street (from building face to building face, including sidewalks) and having it accessible only to ticketed attendees (and tenants of effected buildings, etc.). Details and map [both PDFs].

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby mplsjaromir » September 14th, 2015, 2:39 pm

One thing about Zombie Pub Crawl, its obnoxious.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 14th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Very glad I don't live next door to the Cabooze anymore. But I can never get too mad at it, because it's obnoxious in the way living in a vibrant city is where maybe not 100% of everything that happens all the time is your preference, and not obnoxious in the way a bunch of assholes with unmuffled 2 cycle scooters roaring past your house all day is.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Sounds about right.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 2:51 pm

So, my post was really a roundabout way of asking what other events the city has allowed to close down such a large part of downtown for a private ticketed function. I think the All Star Game was a much smaller area than this, for example.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 14th, 2015, 2:57 pm

It is late at night, which changes the calculus a bit. Much less disruptive when it's at night on a weekend day rather than over multiple days all day etc etc.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 14th, 2015, 6:11 pm

How could this work with the LRT stop in the middle of it? Someone wants to get off the train but doesn't have a ticket... Nope! I think there will have to be some revisions.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 14th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Well, it's already illegal, (though possible, and common) to jump on/off the platform and cross the tracks midblock, so I'd assume non-ticket holders will have to enter/exit the station on the Hennepin end. Annoying, but not any moreso than the whole area already will be.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 15th, 2015, 7:19 am

If I were Metro Transit Rail Ops, I'd be pretty wary of this whole thing. Even if they did the easy thing and closed the Hennepin platform (making all passengers board at Nicollet or TFS for the night), I would still be wary of even running trains through the party zone, unless heavily policed. Zombie revelers will be pounding on the train as it goes through, throwing fake blood, and who knows what else they'll be dumb enough to do with mob mentality and alcohol.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Zombie Pub Crawl

Postby mplser » September 15th, 2015, 9:56 am

looks like the same setup as last year, and last year there wasn't any pounding on the train or throwing fake blood at it, but people were trying to run across the tracks as the train was approaching, much to the dismay of the cop standing right there trying to wrangle them.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » September 15th, 2015, 3:19 pm

So, my post was really a roundabout way of asking what other events the city has allowed to close down such a large part of downtown for a private ticketed function. I think the All Star Game was a much smaller area than this, for example.
They did the same thing last year. It's basically an outdoor concert. I don't recall an uproar from last years so it must not have been too disruptive, at least not anymore distruptive than a typical Saturday night downtown on 1st ave.