Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Cable Television

Postby David Greene » March 19th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Would someone pick a certain neighborhood over another because of fiber? Maybe? The thought popped up in my head.
That's exactly what many Northsiders have been saying for years, even decades. It is difficult to attract wealth to a community when the city and others actively disinvest in it.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Re: Minneapolis Fiber Internet and Cable Services

Postby Chip Whitley » March 19th, 2015, 9:19 pm

Travis, thanks to you and US Internet. My apartment, Track 29, initially put off having you guys set us up but went live this week (or at least that's when I first told). I signed up Tuesday night and I didn't realize how easy it is. I assumed I'd have to wait or have an installer come out but I signed up on your web site at about 10pm and literally within 5 minutes the Ethernet jack was active with pure Gigabit goodness, even before payment was charged. I'm making all my geeky friends jealous. I even posted about it on Facebook and everyone wants to either move to Uptown or get USI to expand to the burbs.

Even with my top of the line router, WRT1900AC, I had to turn off Media Prioritization to get speeds above 400Mbps. I had a Gigabit network setup but still had a few Cat5E cables which I needed to switch to Cat6 to get full speeds. Pulling close to 900Mbps up and down on Speedtest. Awesome.

Long story short, USI is the real deal. Exactly what I've hoped for in a utility provider. Called Comcast yesterday to cancel, expected a fight to try and keep me but once I told them I had Gigabit fiber for $65 they didn't even try. ;)

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis Cable Television

Postby xandrex » March 19th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Would someone pick a certain neighborhood over another because of fiber? Maybe? The thought popped up in my head.
It's not priority number one, but a USI fiber connection is pretty near the top of my list for when I'm looking for a new apartment come September. I've been sharing a two-bedroom apartment where it's not too bad to split a Comcast internet/cable bill. But since I'll be living alone, I just can't afford the ridiculous prices that Comcast charges. In fact, if the place isn't USI fiber wired, I'll actually have to lower my maximum rent amount, just so that I can keep my expenses in check.

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » March 19th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Travis, thanks to you and US Internet. My apartment, Track 29, initially put off having you guys set us up but went live this week (or at least that's when I first told). I signed up Tuesday night and I didn't realize how easy it is. I assumed I'd have to wait or have an installer come out but I signed up on your web site at about 10pm and literally within 5 minutes the Ethernet jack was active with pure Gigabit goodness, even before payment was charged. I'm making all my geeky friends jealous. I even posted about it on Facebook and everyone wants to either move to Uptown or get USI to expand to the burbs.

Even with my top of the line router, WRT1900AC, I had to turn off Media Prioritization to get speeds above 400Mbps. I had a Gigabit network setup but still had a few Cat5E cables which I needed to switch to Cat6 to get full speeds. Pulling close to 900Mbps up and down on Speedtest. Awesome.

Long story short, USI is the real deal. Exactly what I've hoped for in a utility provider. Called Comcast yesterday to cancel, expected a fight to try and keep me but once I told them I had Gigabit fiber for $65 they didn't even try. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. :)

Any chance you can post a speedtest.net result?

Was thinking of grabbing a WRT1900AC and see how it performed, we have been using Nighthawk's with excellent results, always looking for other options.

Thanks.

-Travis / USI

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » March 19th, 2015, 11:27 pm

Was thinking of grabbing a WRT1900AC and see how it performed, we have been using Nighthawk's with excellent results, always looking for other options.

Thanks.

-Travis / USI

I've been a Linksys fan for a long time so when they went vintage with the WRT1900AC I had to buy one. I like it. Like I said, had to disable a few features that were filtering traffic as the router couldn't quite handle the speed. I was unable to get great speeds with AC, had to go to N which was faster for some reason. Seems like a bug or something. I like it though.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 20th, 2015, 7:38 am

Do you folks run stock firmware on your routers? I've had excellent luck running slightly cheaper Linksys routers (deals in the <$30 range) with ddwrt or tomato. I even set up a new router for a local coffee shop after I told them how cheap it was to upgrade their circa-2002 equipment.

jw138
Union Depot

Re: Minneapolis Fiber

Postby jw138 » March 20th, 2015, 8:51 am

We actually have started, the weather has been kind to us so far and we are working hard to get everyone live as soon as possible.

New area installation should start by April 1 and we will be going full stream all summer long.
Any chance the website will be updated soon with the 2015 build-out map so we can see if we're going to be one of the lucky few?

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » March 20th, 2015, 9:08 am

Do you folks run stock firmware on your routers? I've had excellent luck running slightly cheaper Linksys routers (deals in the <$30 range) with ddwrt or tomato. I even set up a new router for a local coffee shop after I told them how cheap it was to upgrade their circa-2002 equipment.
Right now I use stock on the WRT1900AC because you have to basically. The firmware is open source but the wireless drivers aren't so there is no third party firmware with wireless support, only wired. I used to be the king of third party firmware (I actually used to run a pretty successful web site on the topic) but I've found that now-a-days, stock firmware is generally fine for most purposes. I agree though, third party firmware can be a good way to increase a cheaper routers features.

tcarter612
City Center

Re: Minneapolis Fiber

Postby tcarter612 » March 20th, 2015, 8:36 pm

We actually have started, the weather has been kind to us so far and we are working hard to get everyone live as soon as possible.

New area installation should start by April 1 and we will be going full stream all summer long.
Any chance the website will be updated soon with the 2015 build-out map so we can see if we're going to be one of the lucky few?
Hopefully next week the maps should be done and posted online.

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » March 20th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Thanks.

-Travis / USI

I've been a Linksys fan for a long time so when they went vintage with the WRT1900AC I had to buy one. I like it. Like I said, had to disable a few features that were filtering traffic as the router couldn't quite handle the speed. I was unable to get great speeds with AC, had to go to N which was faster for some reason. Seems like a bug or something. I like it though.

Thanks Chip, the AC issue might prevent me from putting much effort into the WRT1900AC, if you find a resolution could you let me know?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 20th, 2015, 8:59 pm

WELL, since we're bragging.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 21st, 2015, 11:24 am

Living downtown in a condo Comcrap is my only choice. At least its fastish

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » April 4th, 2015, 4:55 pm

The USI Fiber implementation schedule page is now updated: http://fiber.usinternet.com/coverage-areas/

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 4th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Hmm, the table of streets shows mine's coverage stopping *1.5 blocks* short of our house, but the map of Field shows us getting service. I really hope the map is right but I suspect the table is correct. Dammit.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 5th, 2015, 8:34 am

Hmm, the table of streets shows mine's coverage stopping *1.5 blocks* short of our house, but the map of Field shows us getting service. I really hope the map is right but I suspect the table is correct. Dammit.
Note that all of the addresses in the updated table are listed as "Summer 2015". I suspect a bunch of "Fall 2015" addresses will be added at a later time. Plus, they got such an early start this year because the weather's been so nice. They've gotta be running way ahead of schedule.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 6th, 2015, 7:27 am

I hope you're right!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » April 6th, 2015, 7:47 am

Article in Star Tribune re: USI and Century Link fiber

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 23851.html

ssbertilson
Block E

Postby ssbertilson » April 7th, 2015, 2:11 pm

The map linked on the USI coverage shows streets with coming service that isn't in the lists. Nearer futures?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 17th, 2015, 12:53 pm

I am eager to get USI Fiber in the next few months. EAGER!

Anyone know how it actually hooks up? I assume they trench fiber to my basement then run it to a modem, as if it were the main coax or twisted pair leads into my home for Comcast/CL? Or is it different somehow?

jkrejci
Block E

Postby jkrejci » April 17th, 2015, 1:06 pm

A fiber optic cable is trenched to your house and terminates into a NID on the side of the house. From there an internal fiber cable is run from the NID into the house (usually basement) to a fiber modem. From there a cat5e will connect to, most typically, a wifi/router device. Additionally if you're getting the Ravon phone service a second cat5e cable is ran to the phone adapter which connects to your house phone wiring.