Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Fiber Internet and Cable Services

Postby seanrichardryan » April 17th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Comes in at the sill, within 20' of the street.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Do I get any say in *where* they attach to the house? We have a long-term dream of adding onto the front of this little cape cod and I'd *much* prefer that the fiber enter through the back wall where everything else comes in. I spent a lot of time/money having Xcel and Comcast redo all their lines to be underground from the alley in conduit and it'd annoy the hell out of me if brand-spanking-new fiber were to plow right through the front foundation wall. /firstworldproblem
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 19th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Do I get any say in *where* they attach to the house? We have a long-term dream of adding onto the front of this little cape cod and I'd *much* prefer that the fiber enter through the back wall where everything else comes in. I spent a lot of time/money having Xcel and Comcast redo all their lines to be underground from the alley in conduit and it'd annoy the hell out of me if brand-spanking-new fiber were to plow right through the front foundation wall. /firstworldproblem
We were able to choose where the exterior box went (given some guidelines), and thus where the fiber entered the house. I don't know how flexible they are but it looks like a neighbor has their box pretty far back on the side of the house. They may have pressed their rep more, I don't know.

The rep originally asked if they could put it on the side very close to the front of the house but I pointed out that that was actually an enclosed porch and so wouldn't work for running a line to the basement. I was mildly annoyed that they wanted it as close to the front as possible.

We ended up with it being put on the side of the house just beyond the front porch. Still a litte closer to the front than I'd have liked but in the end it didn't matter because eight months later Centerpoint moved our gas meter outside the house and the big honkin' meter totally overshadows the little fiber box. :-/

I'm still a little pissed at Centerpoint for digging up the yard and putting GRASS SEED down instead of sod. Unsurprisingly, those places are dirt now.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2015, 11:05 pm

All good information to know, David. Thank you. As mentioned up-thread, I can't tell if I'm this year or not so we'll see when I actually have to make this argument. Hopefully, sooner than later.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 20th, 2015, 5:44 am

Does CenturyLink have a timeline posted for their gigabit service, too?

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » April 20th, 2015, 11:00 am

Does CenturyLink have a timeline posted for their gigabit service, too?
They're pretty tight lipped. Over at dslreports.com forums there are some thread's covering the rollout. Some users have created scripts that are able to map out where service is located.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

Here is a link to one user's latest map of service. http://www.easymapmaker.com/map/cl_gig_tc_4-13-2015

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » April 20th, 2015, 5:59 pm

We try and do everything we can to place the NID in the best spot for the homeowner.

Since the fiber runs underground we do however need to take particle issues into consideration, prefer not install over hard surfaces, window wells, high voltage lines, gas lines, underground sprinkler systems, cable, or telco lines, etc. We also like to be as close to the front of the house as possible.

Speak with the installer when they arrive and see what works out best for both parties.

Thanks for the support.

-Travis / USI

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 21st, 2015, 8:22 am

Thanks for the helpful information, Travis. I really, really hope this is a problem I need to resolve this year :)

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » April 22nd, 2015, 7:23 am

A directional boring machine is currently in front of my house doing USI fiber infrastructure work.

aww yiss.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 22nd, 2015, 10:07 am

What street?

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » April 23rd, 2015, 9:40 am

What street?
Lyndale Ave. There's lots of conduit sprouting from the boulevards right now.

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » April 23rd, 2015, 3:31 pm

Saw them working on Blaisdell Ave. yesterday as well. So pumped!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 23rd, 2015, 4:19 pm

Maybe if I slip a Benjamin to the installers, they can use their machine to bore a PVC electrical conduit between my house and my garage. #SubpanelLove

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 30th, 2015, 8:35 am

I live on Blaisdell and yesterday they came out to do the internal install (NID box, internal fiber, switch, & configuration). They said the external install would be a couple days to a couple weeks away and that I could call today to get an exact date. However, the representative on the phone said Blaisdell hadn't yet been run and that it would be sometime this summer at the earliest. I trust the information from the internal install guys a little bit more since it sounded like the phone representative was semi-reading from a script but who knows...

They did a great job with the install and put the NID and switch exactly where I wanted them. It's interesting that they're supplying 8-port switches since the optimal secure setup would utilize a single port to an internal firewall that supplies wifi and serves the rest of the house. I'm not complaining though, it'll be useful for debugging any future issues with my firewall (and provide partitioned LANs if that's ever of use).

They did also say that they were having problems crossing 35W to get to the areas to the east that are supposed to get service this year.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 30th, 2015, 8:52 am

I live on Blaisdell and yesterday they came out to do the internal install (NID box, internal fiber, switch, & configuration). They said the external install would be a couple days to a couple weeks away and that I could call today to get an exact date. However, the representative on the phone said Blaisdell hadn't yet been run and that it would be sometime this summer at the earliest. I trust the information from the internal install guys a little bit more since it sounded like the phone representative was semi-reading from a script but who knows...

They did a great job with the install and put the NID and switch exactly where I wanted them. It's interesting that they're supplying 8-port switches since the optimal secure setup would utilize a single port to an internal firewall that supplies wifi and serves the rest of the house. I'm not complaining though, it'll be useful for debugging any future issues with my firewall (and provide partitioned LANs if that's ever of use).

They did also say that they were having problems crossing 35W to get to the areas to the east that are supposed to get service this year.
I live on Blaisdell as well. They are installing the mainline in the boulevard in front of my house today. My appointment for the house install isn't for another week and a half, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

The boulevard installation has been moving pretty quickly. I have been keeping an eye on it since it started up at Lake. Unless they are going further down Blaisdell than I think, it should be done in just a few weeks. I think that the schedule they give to the people in the phone bank is very conservative and non-specific.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 30th, 2015, 9:25 am

I live on Blaisdell as well. They are installing the mainline in the boulevard in front of my house today.
Just curious, which side of Blaisdell are they running it down... east or west?

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 30th, 2015, 9:31 am

I live on Blaisdell as well. They are installing the mainline in the boulevard in front of my house today.
Just curious, which side of Blaisdell are they running it down... east or west?
West, next to the bike lane.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 30th, 2015, 9:35 am

They end at 2899 Blaisdell... Sunrise Cyclery, where I work, is 2901 Blasidell... :evil: :evil: :evil:

jkrejci
Block E

Postby jkrejci » April 30th, 2015, 11:46 am

Only the first port of the 8-port switch is usable for Internet. If you subscribe to USI's VoIP/phone service called Ravon, that is usually then connected to port 2 of the switch. The remaining ports are not usable for Internet.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 30th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Only the first port of the 8-port switch is usable for Internet. If you subscribe to USI's VoIP/phone service called Ravon, that is usually then connected to port 2 of the switch. The remaining ports are not usable for Internet.
Ah, ok. I'd imagine that USI will supply an IPTV service similar to CenturyLink's "Prism" sometime in the near future and that'd probably take the 3rd port. Thoughts on what the remaining 5 ports might be used for in the distant future?