Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis Fiber Internet and Cable Services

Postby mister.shoes » May 8th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Travis, you rock. Even if you can't make it down 5th anytime soon, the way you're running USI is refreshing to say the least. Good luck! Keep kicking [Comcast] ass!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

versitalex
City Center

Postby versitalex » May 8th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Also, I'll note that we had the in-home install done earlier this week on Lyndale. The technician was very professional and accommodating considering the mess our place is in during a kitchen remodel. My folks are having the same install next Friday, so it is nice they'll be in good hands.

We have promotional pricing from CenturyLink for another two months, so I'm excited that Lyndale will be live before that expires. CenturyLink just raised their bogus infrastructure fee again, bleh.

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » May 10th, 2015, 8:55 am

Thanks everyone for the support, the response has been amazing.

2015 is shaping up to be a excellent expansion year for us, 2016 is looking even better, we are working hard to get to everyone, please be patient Minneapolis is a big city and a construction project of this scale takes time.

If anyone or if you hear of anyone that is not happy with USI please let me know and I will make sure the problem is taken care of immediately.

Thanks.

-Travis / USI

NE-Mark
Block E

Postby NE-Mark » May 14th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Travis

Please come to Edina next. Please.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » May 15th, 2015, 8:45 am

Any plans for USI to get into the North Loop anytime soon? The building I'm currently in (ElseWarehouse) maxes out with Comcast at 50 but we're moving to Junction Flats and CenturyLink gigabit is available there. Would be nice to give them some competition and there are tons of apartments here...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 15th, 2015, 9:35 am

I have some friends that live in North Loop (Solhavn) and their building has USI.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » May 15th, 2015, 9:38 am

I have some friends that live in North Loop (Solhavn) and their building has USI.
Surprised Else doesn't have it (since they're basically right next to each other)...

jkrejci
Block E

Postby jkrejci » May 15th, 2015, 9:43 am

There are a few isolated North Loop apartments that have service already, eg Brunsfield, Soltva, and Solhavn.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » May 20th, 2015, 10:13 am

"US Internet plans to offer cable TV in Minneapolis":

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... polis.html

"If the City Council blesses Minnetonka-based US Internet's plan, it will immediately offer TV in pockets covering between 25 percent and 30 percent of the city, CEO Joe Caldwell said."

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » May 20th, 2015, 10:18 am

That's interesting...I'm assuming because the CenturyLink deal was approved by the city that USI wants to try and get in on the action as well. Wonder who they're partnering with as I'm sure they don't have the contracts/licensing already negotiated with all of the media providers?

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » May 20th, 2015, 10:18 am

"US Internet plans to offer cable TV in Minneapolis"
I really really hope that they won't require their own set-top box. What I'd really like to see is an option for some sort of small ethernet->coax transceiver box so that we can run coax to our existing hardware (eg. TiVo).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2015, 10:44 am

So, I don't necessarily understand the appeal of CenturyLink or USI adding regulated services when cable is quickly becoming another video-over-IP service (see Sling TV).

jkrejci
Block E

Postby jkrejci » May 20th, 2015, 12:28 pm

So, I don't necessarily understand the appeal of CenturyLink or USI adding regulated services when cable is quickly becoming another video-over-IP service (see Sling TV).
It is still pretty popular (ie a requirement) for some people to have regular Cable TV style video service. Bundling (a marketing promotion to save money) and reducing the number of service providers sending you a bill is still attractive for many people. I'd agree with you that "cutting the cord" is definitely becoming more popular and likely video-over-IP will eventually replace regular TV service. There are likely many families that do not subscribe to CenturyLink or US Internet services because if they want TV then they have to pay unbundled pricing to Comcast separate from their Internet and/or phone service.

It will be interesting to see how all of this TV stuff plays out over the next few years in the twin cities as very fast and reliable Internet becomes more ubiquitous in the metro area.

I sure wish I could get USI fiber to my home or even CenturyLink fiber service.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2015, 1:02 pm

I've never paid for cable/satellite, so it seems strange to me. Especially the recent franchise proceedings for CenturyLink.

I can think of a half dozen policy priorities that are more important to equity and the future of Mpls than ensuring everyone has the same number of cable channels.
1. Work to ensure choice in providers gets to residents in multifamily housing, working to prevent monopolies inside apartment blocks, etc.
2. Consider high speed internet a higher priority than cable TV.
3. Long-term plan to drop utilities underground.
Etc.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 22nd, 2015, 2:36 pm

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » May 22nd, 2015, 4:04 pm

I can think of a half dozen policy priorities that are more important to equity and the future of Mpls than ensuring everyone has the same number of cable channels.
1. Work to ensure choice in providers gets to residents in multifamily housing, working to prevent monopolies inside apartment blocks, etc.
Landlord of my crappy apartment in Whittier doesn't even respond to me or USI when we ask about getting fiber installed, Comcast cables just hang from some parts of the exterior of the building and I suspect landlord doesn't want to deal with more mess/hassle.

Has anyone else heard the *rumor* Comcast has paid off landlords of larger buildings to keep USI out?

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » May 22nd, 2015, 4:55 pm

Has anyone else heard the *rumor* Comcast has paid off landlords of larger buildings to keep USI out?
I emailed The Walkway last week about if they had or planned to have USI Fiber and they said Comcast was the only option permitted. It's apparently added to rent, which I thought was kind of odd. So it appears they may have a deal with Comcast. Personally, having USI now, it would be hard to revert back to Comcast for internet. It dropped The Walkway down a few notches in my book.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » May 24th, 2015, 7:57 am

I know at Lime we are only allowed to have shitty MultiBand, and it's been terrible. They did some upgrades a bit ago and it improved some, but I was really kind of surprised they would have such an awful carrier be the only option.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » May 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm

I emailed The Walkway last week about if they had or planned to have USI Fiber and they said Comcast was the only option permitted. It's apparently added to rent, which I thought was kind of odd. So it appears they may have a deal with Comcast. Personally, having USI now, it would be hard to revert back to Comcast for internet. It dropped The Walkway down a few notches in my book.
Confirmed that The Walkway is Comcast only. Elan said they've have to pay a fee to Comcast to allow USI. However, they did mention that local management is trying to convince Greystar to allow them to pay the fee to allow USI.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 15th, 2015, 11:06 am

So, I had my fiber install from the demarc to my router on June 1. Basically fiber to a managed switch that got rackmounted right below my other gear. But now I see it will be December 1 before my street will get lit. Judging from all the new PVC poking out of the boulevards, people like me are eager to get pre-installed even if we have to wait a half year to get the new service.