Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
John21
Rice Park

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby John21 » December 23rd, 2016, 6:01 pm

Do you have to sign up before you get to see what channels you get and get details about the service? Website won't let me do anything but sign up for my "free" trial.
I tried it. It's certainly a great deal right now with the $35 reduced price. No DVR yet though. I find Playstation Vue easier to use and it has the DVR. Picture quality just as good as Vue. If you don't record a lot of shows it's worth pulling the trigger on Directv Now. Not sure if they have access to on demand apps.

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » December 25th, 2016, 7:48 am

Do you have to sign up before you get to see what channels you get and get details about the service? Website won't let me do anything but sign up for my "free" trial.
I tried it. It's certainly a great deal right now with the $35 reduced price. No DVR yet though. I find Playstation Vue easier to use and it has the DVR. Picture quality just as good as Vue. If you don't record a lot of shows it's worth pulling the trigger on Directv Now. Not sure if they have access to on demand apps.
They authenticate for the on demand apps for the Disney owned channels (ABC, ESPN, Disney) etc. Also for HBO Go and Cinemax Go if you take either of those add ons. They say more are coming soon. Also you can go back up to 72 hours on many channels to watch what you've missed.

You get a free AppleTV if you sign up for 3 months (which is cheaper than an AppleTV in the store). I sold mine on Craigslist since I didn't need another and basically got 3 months free of this. I already cancelled my regular DirecTV subscription. This is cheaper than just the equipment rentals I was paying for 3 TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 10th, 2017, 1:55 pm

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... the-creek/

USI announced that they will be able to head south of Minnehaha Creek in 2017, thanks to the ability to cross the creek on city ROW. Creek crossings specifically noted are Nicollet (into Tangletown/Windom) and 50th Street (into Lynnhurst and all points further SW). First up in 2017 though is Linden Hills. Article also mentions further expansion in Ward 12 "near the river", but I'm not sure what that means for the neighborhoods on the west side of Hiawatha (Standish-Ericsson) and "south of the creek" in that area (East Nokomis, et al) that don't have the service yet.

Hoping to see a map soon. Fingers crossed for Standish-Ericsson to be complete by the end of 2017.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » January 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

They wont be putting up development maps this year due to competitors using them to poach potential customers and spread disinformation.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 15th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Citing your sources is cool and easy
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/co ... ated_1417/

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 12th, 2017, 6:20 pm

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » February 15th, 2017, 8:09 pm

I'm curious why they decided to raise the rates $5 when it appears there's some competitive pressure on them. Looking at Comcast's promotional rates, it appears that they offer 25Mb for $30 and 100Mb for $40. Granted, that comes with a 1TB cap, but I don't think many people are reaching that yet (though as 4K proliferates I'm sure it'll become a bigger issue.) If someone calls Comcast to cancel and Comcast counters with one of those promo rates, will they still switch? I'm not sold that they will, especially if they still want cable television.

That being said, I personally would still switch (as symmetrical speeds + fiber would be worth it to me) but I'm also a techie and also a cord cutter. However, being in the suburbs I doubt I'll get USI anytime soon, so it's all pretty much academic to me (unless North Star Fiber or another MDU-specific fiber provider decides to come into our building.)

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » February 16th, 2017, 1:51 pm

It's an interesting question - the pricing is a lot closer than it was a year ago, at least on the lower tiers. Comcast price still goes up $20+ after a year and requires a contract, but if they're already customers it's tempting to just stay for another year.

cnelson
City Center

Postby cnelson » February 16th, 2017, 2:55 pm

I'm currently paying USI $49.95 for 250Mb. To get that from Comcast, looks like I'd have to go with the "Extreme 250" tier which is $69.95 for the first 12 months w/ a contract. Here's part of the fine print -
Offer ends 3/31/17. Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. New residential customers only. Limited to Performance 25 Internet service. 1-year minimum term agreement required. Early termination fee applies if all XFINITY services are cancelled during the agreement term. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. After promo, regular rates apply. Comcast's service charge for Performance 25 Internet service is $61.95/mo. and for upgrading from Performance 25 to Extreme 250 is $90.00 more per month (subject to change).
So it seems the non-promo rate is $151.95. And I assume there's an extra $10-20/month in taxes/fees/surcharges added to the bill that I can't see without actually signing up.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » March 15th, 2017, 4:27 pm

any updates on USI fiber? When do they start laying new wire? When do they plan on starting adding new wireless network modems? Or do they not announce that either? Sounds like a top secret organization more and more every day.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 15th, 2017, 7:10 pm

As I understand it, they've stopped publicizing detailed plans because Centurylink and Comcast were going door-to-door a month or so before USI rolled through and talking people into signing contracts.

Travis Carter still updates the Minneapolis subreddit occasionally though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » March 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Looks like the fiber map did get an update on 2017 roll out. http://fiber.usinternet.com/fibermap.php

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 31st, 2017, 7:01 am

Wow, they sure don't like Greater Longfellow.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 31st, 2017, 6:11 pm

I was hoping they would cover me in Standish this year. Doesn't look like it. I'm probably going to sign back up with Comcast after my Centurylink contract is up. It looks like their internet only prices are pretty close to matching USI now.

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » March 31st, 2017, 6:57 pm

On the Reddit thread Travis indicated that what is drawn is phase 1 and there could be an additional phase 2 and 3 coming this summer. But yeah, I'm so close but they keep skipping my block.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » April 3rd, 2017, 11:26 pm

Wow, they sure don't like Greater Longfellow.
It sounds like they're having trouble finding a good property for all their core equipment in that neighborhood.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 4th, 2017, 10:48 am

Damnit, I don't think they're going to finish Standish-Ericsson by September. Gonna have to threaten CenturyLink & get a deal or take up a Comcast 1-year intro offer.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 4th, 2017, 11:55 am

Ok, I'm just gonna say it's completely crazy that in 21st century America, roads are almost exclusively owned by the public for the benefit of the public but critical communications infrastructure is not.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 4th, 2017, 11:59 am

Couldn't you say the same about phone, natural gas, or electricity? Yet we've had those natural monopolies administered by regulated private companies for a century now.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 4th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Except in all the places they're run as public utilities.