Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
John21
Rice Park

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby John21 » April 30th, 2016, 10:20 am

I will fire up the free trial on that tonight and report back if I can watch live Twins games.
And...?
I started a Sling trial yesterday and it works great. Twins game looked great despite the team's performance. I did a Playstation Vue trial a while back and that worked great. I cancelled the trial, intending to sign back up after I switched my internet to Centurylink. I signed back up and got an error code. Multiple interactions with support, they couldn't get it working for me. Others have had the same problem I had. I'll probably stick with Sling until Playstation fixes its problems. Either way, no more Comcast!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 30th, 2016, 12:28 pm

I wound up getting a friend's DirecTV login that same day, so I am watching the Twins via Fox Sports GO app on my Fire TV. No SlingTV for me yet.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 30th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Maybe not something you want to post in a public forum? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 5th, 2016, 11:00 am

I keep hearing that USI Fiber can't extend across Minnehaha Creek because MPRB has ridiculous requirements for easement.
USI Fiber already serves a tiny slice of Edina east of France, south of 54th, and north of the Creek. Could they cross the creak at Beard or France then run east to the southern neighborhoods of Minneapolis?

Also, I see they're doing some significant work on 17th Ave - maybe that's a trunk up to Standish or something? They dug out around every single residential gas line in the boulevard before running their trenches. That's not something they did in years past.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 5th, 2016, 11:46 am

When you say "dug out" do you mean a small hole (18" or so in diameter) right above the line? If so, they did the same thing on 5th. The sod was replaced very carefully and nicely so it's barely noticeable, but it's clear they hit every one.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 5th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Is it different than what they did on Bloomington a month or two ago? At least I think it was them (it was a contractor, some Piercing or something like that).

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 5th, 2016, 4:21 pm

They did that in the Wedge a couple years back too. At least I think it was them. Hard to know for sure because Centerpoint was also moving meters outside around the same time.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 5th, 2016, 8:00 pm

I have no idea if it's related to the hole digging or the gas line marking or the fiber drilling (or all three) but I also noticed small numbers written on the yellow spray painted lines at each house. Ours is 42" (I think the " is there), others are in the low to mid 30s, etc. My best guess was depth of the gas line, perhaps determined by digging a hole directly above said line? ;)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » May 6th, 2016, 8:46 am

You are correct, we "spot" each existing service, gas, water, power, etc prior to boring our conduits for fiber. Crews are usually 3-4 weeks ahead of the mainline drills and mark the depth of each service on the curb.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 6th, 2016, 9:48 am

Podcast featuring tcarter612 regarding their efforts here http://muninetworks.org/content/isp-us- ... d-bits-194

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 6th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Podcast featuring tcarter612 regarding their efforts here http://muninetworks.org/content/isp-us- ... d-bits-194
And a direct link to the transcript if you'd rather read it: http://muninetworks.org/content/transcr ... pisode-194

I read the interview a week or so ago when it was linked to elsewhere and it was super interesting.

I'm getting in-home wiring next week and then hooked up whenever they dig up my street. Very excited!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 7th, 2016, 10:59 am

Daily gripe: All podcasts should have a transcript.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 7th, 2016, 11:03 am

Right? I read much faster than people talk.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 9th, 2016, 9:54 am

On the rare occasion that I listen to a podcast (for that very reason), I listen at 1.5x or even 2x so it doesn't take so damn long. I came across a link to an interesting podcast on Twitter over the weekend, but when I saw it was 52 minutes, I tl;dl'd and moved on.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 24th, 2016, 12:31 pm

I think most people already knew this, but Strib had a writeup on the MPRB / USI Fiber lack-of-progress.

http://www.startribune.com/us-internet- ... 380546871/
US Internet's high-speed fiber hits a snag with Minneapolis Park Board

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 24th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I'm sure tcarter612 has already thought of this, but I'm curious what is preventing USI from running fiber across the creek on the underside of one of the many bridges. I assume there are easement issues with the state (35W) or city (Nicollet Ave, etc) but maybe they would be more amenable to USI than is MPRB? Are bridge abutments officially on MPRB property so even popping above ground for that short run requires unobtainable permits?

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 25th, 2016, 11:06 am

I sort of get the feeling that this is one of those things the park board is being firm about because of setting a precedent.
Commissioners denied the permit, arguing the firm essentially hadn’t done its homework — not providing detailed plans for how and where it will dig, not proving there was no choice but to dig on park land, not providing accurate drawings for where trees stand and how the company will avoid damaging them, and not responding in a timely manner to Park Board staff questions.
“I think it’s probably smart to deny this, but I think it’s also probably smart to continue to work with them,”
[USI] will meet with parks staff this Friday to figure out how to craft its permits so they’ll be successful in the future.
I bet they will eventually be allowed to dig, but the Park Board is just making sure they are following the process they want to the letter.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » June 17th, 2016, 11:50 pm

So close I can taste it!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 1st, 2016, 10:52 am

Any idea when USI will reach the eastern side of Ericsson Neighborhood, between 28th Ave and Hiawatha, from 42nd St to the Creek?
Fingers crossed for early 2017, or I'm going to regret my recent house purchase. The whole deal was kind of structured on having $30 monthly expenses for internet. Gonna have to eat a lot of ramen in the first year to afford Comcast. ;)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 1st, 2016, 10:54 am

Or just get CenturyLink, they're $30 for the first year (and I'm sure if you threaten to cancel every year you could keep the $30 price).