Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby David Greene » April 4th, 2017, 2:38 pm

In the case of phones we have fees to ensure build out and maintenance of the system. The cable monopolies had no incentive to build out internet service.

In my mind all utilities should be publicly owned and not run for a profit but for the benefit of the public, just like we do for roads.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 5th, 2017, 7:25 am

I'm definitely not advocating for further privatization, but I'm not sure roadbuilding is a model to follow...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 4th, 2017, 7:24 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 4th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Anyone have a Plex Pass? They just introduced TV streaming and I'm curious how well it works. I use the free version for movies and such in-home, but have been considering the Pass to take things with me. The new TV service would be a bonus.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 4th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Hmm, I think I misunderstood how that TV service works with Plex. I'd been hoping it would use something other than my current OTA antenna. We get terrible interference from planes going overhead and it's kind of annoying. Not annoying enough to get cable again, but annoying nonetheless.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » June 5th, 2017, 10:08 am

The new Plex TV service is a lower cost "TiVo style" cable box replacement - it works with cable cards. Interesting product but only useful if you already have a cable sub.

I have a plex pass and being able to download stuff onto iPads for my kids to watch while traveling is worth the price alone. It's a great product.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » June 7th, 2017, 5:43 pm

No. USI has been very upfront that they've been looking for property to house their switches for that neighborhood for a long time.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 8th, 2017, 9:58 am

Recently read on a Nextdoor post that USI is closing in on purchasing property to serve Powderhorn and entire east side of So. Mpls. Found the Reddit post by Travis that Nextdoor person was referring to here,

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/co ... ars_to_be/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 8th, 2017, 10:05 am

Regarding the explanation that Travis has given in the past about the boulevard needed to lay fiber down and streets like Bryant not getting it because of the concrete and no grassy boulevard, how do they handle the very large trees in the boulevard. Is there a risk to the tree when the lay the fiber? Wondering how they get thru the roots.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 8th, 2017, 10:12 am

I'm not an expert on this, but my sense is that the directional boring that they use would impact such a tiny portion of a large tree's root structure that it should have effectively no effect on the tree's health.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » October 5th, 2017, 1:48 pm

any updates? been a while.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 5th, 2017, 2:44 pm

This Reddit thread is pretty recent: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/co ... f_comcast/
Looks like they're hard at work in Windom/Kenny & south Linden Hills to get those areas completed before the snow flies. Loring Park was mentioned as well, though it doesn't show up on their map yet.

I'm still on the lookout for any information about finishing eastern Standish-Ericsson (west of Hiawatha, 36th St down to the creek). At one point we were on tap for 2017, but they opted to do SW instead.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » November 21st, 2017, 1:18 pm

In regards to the FCC announcement on Net Neutrality today, is it safe to assume US Internet won't be throttling their speeds? I would think they'd have an even greater demand for their services if they don't. Wishing they could ramp up the roll out in Minneapolis. I tried their upgraded wifi service a while ago and it didn't go so well for me. I may have to try harder.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 22nd, 2017, 10:56 am

When I e-mailed them last time net-neutrality discussions came up they said that they will never throttle content. Hoping they stick to their word!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 22nd, 2017, 11:33 am

But of course they're only a regional provider. They still rely on the big monopolies for access to the backbone.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 22nd, 2017, 1:37 pm

The ISPs most likely to throttle are the ones who own their own content providers and on-demand TV services. Comcast wants you to pay them for movies, not Netflix or Amazon or Hulu. It's hard to convince end users to choose them when the third-party services perform as well or better—BUT, if suddenly Xfinity's video is crisp and clear while Netflix buffers endlessly...it becomes a more favorable debate for the ISP.

Obviously, this scenario doesn't apply to USI. One that would, however, would be slicing up internet services into packages (social media, video, etc) and charging for each. I'm thrilled to hear they will never do that—I just hope it sticks.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » November 22nd, 2017, 2:45 pm

I wonder how 5G wireless home internet will shape things if Net Neutrality is rolled back. It would be a lot harder to keep competitors out of the marketplace if they only needed to set up transponders instead of laying fiber optic cable to connect consumers, and if a company like Google showed up in a market and promised no throttling or packaging, would the incumbents have to begrudgingly meet consumer demand?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 22nd, 2017, 3:28 pm

I don't want to have to find out.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » November 22nd, 2017, 3:31 pm

I'd prefer to not have to either but the writing's on the wall. This was one of the things at stake in 2016 when people were too busy focusing on emails.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 28th, 2017, 4:58 pm

OK, this is a legitimately clear-eyed take on the entire NN situation: https://stratechery.com/2017/pro-neutra ... erful_done