Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
twinkess
Target Field

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby twinkess » November 20th, 2018, 8:45 pm

If you're confusing speed and packet/data loss, maybe you don't fundamentally understand how internet and games works lol.

Also problems have been continuing even with the higher speed... "lol"
Have you thought about replacing your router/WiFi AP? I play FPS games all the time and have had zero issues with packet loss on USI. I've had a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X the whole time and my gaming PC is wired.
I've had issues with their default DNS in the past... changing to 1.1.1.1 has resolved a lot of things...
Yep I had problems with their DNS also, but I haven't switched back to it in a while so I'm not sure how it is today.
My gaming PC is wired as well, behind an ASUS RT-AC68U router and a Netgear Prosafe gigabit switch.

I didn't think about switching DNS. I just tonight set mine to Google public DNS, although I'm looking at 1.1.1.1 now as an alternative.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 20th, 2018, 9:26 pm

DNS wasn't it. 10 second drops twice, once at 9:16 and again at 9:25. ugh...

tcarter612
City Center

Postby tcarter612 » November 21st, 2018, 11:37 am

Twinkess, drop me a message with your name and I'll have our techs look at it.

Thanks.

-Travis / USI

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 8th, 2022, 10:37 am

Looks like USI is expanding into NE, Edina, and St Louis Park this year.

https://usinternet.com/fiber/coverage-map/

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 8th, 2022, 7:54 pm

While Phillips or North Minneapolis go unserved.

I'm not entirely sure how this process has worked, but USI must need city permission to install this infrastructure, and that permission should come with the requirement that they stop digitally redlining the city.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 9th, 2022, 8:31 am

Fwiw, this is what they said-
Sadly we were working in that area and our crews experience constant crime issues, guns pulled on us, vehicles stolen, equipment vandalized, and serious racial slurs/threats.

We will return once things calm down, for now sadly we need to leave all the work partially completed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/c ... ame=iossmf

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » January 30th, 2022, 11:08 am

Sounds like Comcast is defending their territory well. Be interesting to see how the ISP gang war develops in the future.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 3rd, 2022, 1:53 pm

Every Map Is The Same Map: USI Edition
https://streets.mn/2022/02/03/every-map ... i-edition/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 3rd, 2022, 2:45 pm

Every Map Is The Same Map: USI Edition
https://streets.mn/2022/02/03/every-map ... i-edition/
of course
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2022, 5:27 pm

The midterms sure are going to be something
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 3rd, 2022, 7:54 pm

The article basically calls the CEO of US Internet a liar, liar, pants on fire.

I guess when evaluating someone's credibility, you look at a couple of things

Is what they're saying plausible?
Their employees being crime victims in what is objectively a high crime neighborhood (unless there's another inaccuracy or conspiracy with the crime maps) seems plausible. It seems that today's auto thieves and carjackers are stealing whatever they can either for the thrill of it, or to use to quickly commit a crime and then dump rather than keep and sell, so I don't think they'd particularly avoid stealing or carjacking a marked work vehicle if the opportunity arose.

Do they have motivation to lie?
I don't know how much poor people subscribe to high speed wired home internet compared to middle class or rich people, but I'm going to assume they don't to the same degree. So he has motivation to not to want to serve poor areas.

What is his speech / body language?
This is an online message so we don't know

Is there any actual evidence one way or another?
We have none, even if someone digs into the police reports that wouldn't really prove it one way or another if the real reason is the crime or if it's a different reason

I guess I like to assume people are basically honest and give the tie to the CEO and take what he says at face value, but it's a fair point if you want to distrust people, especially people at that level.
Last edited by Mdcastle on February 3rd, 2022, 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 3rd, 2022, 8:02 pm

Sounds like Comcast is defending their territory well. Be interesting to see how the ISP gang war develops in the future.
:lol:

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 3rd, 2022, 8:15 pm

That article is something. That area was definitely listed on their website for expansion for last year. And they’ve said they plan on covering the entire city. They’re running fiber underground in existing neighborhoods. A very expensive project.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 3rd, 2022, 9:44 pm

From a business standpoint, it's perfectly reasonable to focus your extremely expensive infrastructure buildout on the areas that are most likely to give you a quick return on investment. It's the city's job, imo, to force utilities to serve the entire city via the franchise agreements, just like they do with Comcast, Centurylink, and Centerpoint (and Xcel, but that's a state-level thing). Why they aren't doing it is beyond me.

As for "we can't install fiber in Phillips because crime", I don't know. I don't want to call him a liar when I have no evidence one way or the other, but Xcel's able to get the power back on when someone crashes a car into a pole in Phillips, Abbot Northwestern hasn't put their giant hospital expansion on hold... I'm not sure why USI would be uniquely unable to operate in the area.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » February 4th, 2022, 8:56 am

Abbot Northwestern is easy to explain because you have a single fixed location, presumably patrolled with armed security, and the neighborhood isn't too dangerous for their patients to drive directly from the freeway to a patrolled and monitored parking garage- my understanding is most of the carjackings are when people are parked in surface parking lots rather than driving down the street. Xcel being able to work you have a fair point. Although it's possible criminals and harassers have more reservations about not getting their power turned back on as opposed to their neighbors not getting fiber internet.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 4th, 2022, 9:47 am

I work for a company that does utility work all over the city and we have dealt with our fair share of theft and vandalism over the years. That being said, we’ve never pulled out of neighborhood for more than a very short period of time as far as I know. I’m certainly curious about what happened in this case. That being said, I’d much rather see a reporter look into it rather than a blogger with an agenda.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 4th, 2022, 10:38 am

Last fall when Centerpoint was replacing the west 27th street gas main near Lyndale they often had an idling police car nearby. That must add a lot of cost.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2022, 11:53 am

From a business standpoint, it's perfectly reasonable to focus your extremely expensive infrastructure buildout on the areas that are most likely to give you a quick return on investment. It's the city's job, imo, to force utilities to serve the entire city via the franchise agreements, just like they do with Comcast, Centurylink, and Centerpoint (and Xcel, but that's a state-level thing). Why they aren't doing it is beyond me.
What's the mechanism by which they can use franchise authority? They're not in a regulated class of utility like the others.

Zethro
Block E

Postby Zethro » February 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm

I work for a company that does utility work all over the city and we have dealt with our fair share of theft and vandalism over the years. That being said, we’ve never pulled out of neighborhood for more than a very short period of time as far as I know. I’m certainly curious about what happened in this case. That being said, I’d much rather see a reporter look into it rather than a blogger with an agenda.
They are also a smaller company. Looking at the map and how long they have been working on the rollout their are plenty of places to send workers.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 20th, 2022, 2:24 pm

UCS has been working around my south WBL neighborhood this spring. I tried searching to see if this could be fiber expansion but it doesn't seem to be according to my search. Some of the cement connection boxes do have "Centurylink" covers on them. Where would I look to see if they could be rolling it out?