Prince

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Prince

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2016, 10:27 am

What was going on this weekend in celebration of Prince, was awesome, and great, I went out all three nights and had nary an issue.

I fail to see why it's the establishments full responsibility to control the crowds, outside of the establishment. It's just as much the City's responsibility to protect and cater to a long lasting, long term icon and venue like 1st ave, as it is to general citizens.

Major cities across the world deal with this number of people on their streets on a regular basis, and there are street parties that are basically riots, that are celebrated. We have one weekend of rowdiness and life and action in our city, and it's the end of the world?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2016, 10:36 am

No? It's that those cities actually close down ALL the surrounding streets. The cops cared less about what was happening in the crowd, and more about getting cars through. They didn't even tell us they were trying to re-open 1st, they just started coming through with barriers and sirens. If a music venue is going to have an impromptu massive celebration shutting down a street, then yes I do see some responsibility coming their way.
We have one weekend of rowdiness and life and action in our city, and it's the end of the world?
And this is wrong. The Warehouse District isn't a very "fun" place to be outside at night. Seems like things get rowdy every weekend now.
Last edited by grant1simons2 on April 25th, 2016, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 25th, 2016, 10:42 am

Honestly, the crowds for Prince were bigger, but the behaviors in the area were pretty par for the course. The Warehouse District is pretty sloppy most weekend nights.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 25th, 2016, 10:45 am

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 25th, 2016, 10:56 am

Totally agree. First Ave flopped when it came to crowd control. They let the city basically deal with it in their own way, which wasn't very nice. I was there on Thursday night, and that was probably the most out of control night out of all of them. There was garbage everywhere, people throwing up, cops starting to try to re-open First by blaring their sirens next to the crowd and yelling and them to move (there was not a lot of room) and not a lot of celebrating the life of Prince.
When you're old and you leave relatively early, you get to only experience when everyone was being pretty darn pleasant to each other.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2016, 11:33 am

No? It's that those cities actually close down ALL the surrounding streets. The cops cared less about what was happening in the crowd, and more about getting cars through. They didn't even tell us they were trying to re-open 1st, they just started coming through with barriers and sirens. If a music venue is going to have an impromptu massive celebration shutting down a street, then yes I do see some responsibility coming their way.
We have one weekend of rowdiness and life and action in our city, and it's the end of the world?
And this is wrong. The Warehouse District isn't a very "fun" place to be outside at night. Seems like things get rowdy every weekend now.
Once you've spent as many weekends partying in NYC, London, Berlin as I have (humble brag) where they don't shut down all the streets, but they're still full of people, and it's rowdy and a ruckus EVERY weekend we'll have a talk. This is small town whining to me.

The City has a responsibility to decide whether it's more appropriate to allow a safe block party or a complete mob on the streets, they chose block party, and they did the right thing. Imagine the trash and carnage if people just showed up and there was no formal party?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2016, 12:14 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 26th, 2016, 11:44 am

Multiple news outlets claiming Paisley Park will become some sort of museum (Graceland comparison is flying freely). Supposedly Prince himself had this vision for the legacy of his facility.

Those pano images you see of Paisley Park are from the early 00's when PP studios were available for hire and they had a website, paisleypark.com. I loved that site - it had equipment lists and everything. The photos we're seeing floating around today were originally QuickTime VR panoramas - if only I could find those files - so a fan must have snapped some screenshots for posterity.

From Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200511241957 ... _intro.asp

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » April 26th, 2016, 12:51 pm

This is my new favorite Prince story: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html