Autonomous vehicles impact on real estate

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: Autonomous vehicles impact on real estate

Postby karen nelson » March 21st, 2018, 10:13 am

I agree that the standards for autonomous vehicles cars should and will likely be much higher than they are for human drivers (via law suits, legislation, industry standards whatever) and that is a good thing.

I just have a real issue with autonomous vehicles going 38 mph on a surface street regardless of speed limit and what road was supposedly designed for, as I do for human driven cars, it's not a good idea.

Unlike cites and counties and their engineers and drivers on their roads, the autonomous vehicle ride-share systems providers may face far more pressure, to stop these high speeds on surface streets.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not a highway, like say 36, or a freeway, cars should go max 25 mph, end of story. Overall, for most people in cars, this will add at the most 10 minutes of driving to their day. For those that drive all day, it will ad up - but traffic and lights and accidents take back much of the gain from higher speeds anyways.

We need to just stop with 40 mph surface streets.

I know from my own experience on St. Paul streets in winter dark, driving much slower than speed limit has been the only thing that has saved me from hitting a pedestrian at night crossing in dark place with dark clothes, even when I was perfectly alert and focused, looking for them, - sometimes I have simply not seen them until they were squarely in my headlights. If I was going faster, much more likely I might have hit them. The pedestrians do see and hear the car and seem to assume the driver in the car sees them just as well as they see the car, like would be the case in the daytime, but at night that is not the case - someone walking is much hard to spot than the car.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » March 21st, 2018, 10:36 am

If AVs can't improve on humans seeing pedestrians, I agree they that much of the case for them is lost. The standards for them should be way higher, and should be obtainable if we insist on it.

That is not to say that AVs will ever avoid all situations that humans would catch - they likely will still make some mistakes that a good human driver wouldn't but they should be able to do better than almost all human drivers in vast majority of situations. They should have to deliver with greatly improved safety compared to human drivers (not a high bar with all the drunks and texters out there) to be accepted, and I think they will. If U.S. slows down with this, other countries will still do it and get better at it and eventually the overall stats in lives saved, in net, will be compelling.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 21st, 2018, 11:04 am

If you judge this by the way they judge human drivers, then given what police are saying, they would not have faulted or charge with a crime the human driver and don't think a civil suit would get very far with human driver if they were reasonably close to speed limit, not impaired, not texting etc.
Yes, but if we're going to hold autonomous vehicle to such low standards, what's the point?
I really wonder if she had just stepped off a curb or was well into the road.
People are saying she had crossed several lanes and gotten mostly across the farthest lane, where the vehicle was traveling. I have no verified if that's correct.
Last edited by amiller92 on March 21st, 2018, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 21st, 2018, 11:07 am

Unlike cites and counties and their engineers and drivers on their roads, the autonomous vehicle ride-share systems providers may face far more pressure, to stop these high speeds on surface streets.
I'm not sure why and can instead imagine them arguing that because their systems won't be inattentive and won't make "mistakes," they should be allowed to go faster. What's their incentive to slow down?

You're absolutely right about speeds on city streets, btw.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 21st, 2018, 7:55 pm

Very dark road.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 21st, 2018, 8:33 pm

Camera recording isn’t the same as what human driver vision would have seen.

But still, is this a Lidar failure? Shouldn’t have Lidar spotted the slow moving person?

(Maybe this thread can be merged back into the Future Cars thread.)

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: RE: Re: Autonomous vehicles impact on real estate

Postby karen nelson » March 21st, 2018, 9:31 pm

This is an absolute fail by the autonomous car.

She didn't dart out out onto the road quickly, she was out on the road for long before car got to her.

It's a dark road but there was time to react, maybe not to stop or swerve away but NO reaction by a car that should have far better sensors than humans.

Of course the safety driver wasn't even looking around road, but doubt reaction time would have done much if they were paying attention.

I don't get why this cars sensors couldn't "see" this woman on the road much sooner than it did (it never "saw"her, it never braked) she was obviously walking, not erractic, was on road for long time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: RE: Re: Autonomous vehicles impact on real estate

Postby karen nelson » March 21st, 2018, 9:32 pm

(Maybe this thread can be merged back into the Future Cars thread.)
Yes, we have digressed from.real.estate

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk