A Question

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
natejasper
Block E

A Question

Postby natejasper » May 5th, 2018, 5:30 am

Hello everyone in this forum,
I don't know if anyone here can help with this but this forum has a fairly knowledgeable base so I thought I would give it a try. I was just contacted by a design studio that wants to use some of my photographs for a brochure they are putting together for a bid for light rail rolling stock that their client wants to sell to Metro Transit. I have never sold my photographs before so I have no idea what to ask for. If anyone here has experience with purchasing or selling photos for producing marketing materials for bids, I would love some insight. I think they only want to use the photo, not buy its copyright.
Thanks for your time,

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: A Question

Postby Nathan » May 7th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Hey there, I would also suggest joining and asking the minnesota photographers club on Facebook, lots of answers there!

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » May 14th, 2018, 11:35 am

I don't know if anyone here can help with this but this forum has a fairly knowledgeable base so I thought I would give it a try. I was just contacted by a design studio that wants to use some of my photographs for a brochure they are putting together for a bid for light rail rolling stock that their client wants to sell to Metro Transit. I have never sold my photographs before so I have no idea what to ask for. If anyone here has experience with purchasing or selling photos for producing marketing materials for bids, I would love some insight. I think they only want to use the photo, not buy its copyright.
Thanks for your time,
Yea, they most likely are just buying the rights to use that picture and not wanting to buy the exclusive rights meaning the price they are going/would be giving is lower. If it were me I would just ask them to make me an offer price and probably give them a wide usage right such as the right to use that photo within that organization as many times as they would like and for an unlimited amount of time. Then if you feel the price is much lower than you were expecting then try agreeing to said price but then give them only the right to use that photo in the brochure they originally stated. If you make to complicated they likely will just move on to another photo. Plus if you really don't know what prices are going for then you might low ball yourself. Although any money in the pocket is better than no money in the pocket.

Please let us know what prices they say, I would love to know as my curiosity is peaked.

Wilsondrake
Block E

Postby Wilsondrake » June 26th, 2018, 4:35 am

Thanks for your time,
Ask them to buy copyright from you for your pictures and get a good price for it.