Crime

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nick
Capella Tower

Crime

Postby Nick » June 2nd, 2012, 2:17 pm

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/156552275.html
Downtown Minneapolis crime wave has police gearing up

While hundreds of thousands of people work, visit and live downtown without such misfortune, a steady drumbeat of robberies and assaults this spring has pushed the crime rate there to double-digit increases over last year. And summer is just beginning, the time of year when police typically handle larger, rowdier crowds, including the 2 a.m. Warehouse District nightclub closings that have been the setting for stabbings and shootings in summers past.
Well, I'm happy at least the random beatings have mostly stopped.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Crime

Postby John » June 3rd, 2012, 12:09 pm

The assaults and beatings this spring mostly occured around the 7th and Nicollet Mall bus stop ( a bus stop I frequently use when I get off work). Some thoughts I have about the assaults and beatings are they were probably related to gang initiation (rites of passage) by a small group of wannabees. That is a common gang inititation practice in other large cities. We had an unusually warm March which encouraged this type of activity to occur. Also, the City Center bus stop has always had the issue of being one of the most heavily used bus stops ( probably in the Twin Cities), yet there is no true transit center built here. People hunch up against the gorgeous City Center blank fortress wall on 7th street spilling over onto Nicollet Mall. This situation promotes loitering and malingering. Also, this bus stop is the connection point for bus lines that serve the poorest and most distressed areas of Minneapolis and beyond. You see the behaviors and acting out of people who live under poverty stricken and dysfunctional living conditions.
Given these circumstances, does anyone have some thoughts on how to make this a safer area? It seems like a tall order. My opinion is that having friendly, community oriented beat cops in that area would keep things a little calmer and at least deter any escalation of behaviors toward violence. Its unrealistic to think that will solve all problems, but I think it would help. Another strategy would be to reconfigure the bus routes downtown somewhat too create less concentration at the 7th and Nicollet Mall intersection. The other thing is to continue to increase retail and residential activity in the inner core of downtown to create a more balanced critical mass of people on the streets. The Nicollet Residences project is a good step in this direction. If we could just get City Center renovated and open it up to the street, that would also make 7th and Nicollet safer.
Last edited by John on June 3rd, 2012, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 3rd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Some simple surveillance cameras could go a long way in keeping crime down. St. Paul has been installing dozens since it held the RNC convention back in 2008. Most have popped up in downtown and along University Ave.

I've read articles in the Pioneer Press that the SPPD has noted they've made a significant impact on reducing crime. I don't like the the "Big Brother" aspect of them, but they have worked.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 3rd, 2012, 1:46 pm

Yes, they are helpful and a good deterrent. I do know what you mean about the "Big Brother" aspect. However, if you are just minding your own business, no one in law enforcement is going to bother you. I think the Mpls/St Paul police take great care to use it only for monitoring or videotaping serious or violent criminal activity. Kind of sad in away!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 26th, 2012, 7:31 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 27405.html
Crowds, crime vex Minneapolis downtown bar closings
Article by: MATT McKINNEY , Star Tribune Updated: June 26, 2012 - 5:56 AM
Minneapolis shootings hurt four, including one shot by police.

If there was any spot in Minneapolis early Monday morning that police were watching, it was the downtown clubs zone along Hennepin and 1st Avenue N. So when gunshots rang out at 2 a.m. near the Gay 90's, injuring three people, police responded on foot, in squads, on horses and even on a four-wheeler.

Two gunmen were captured, one of them after he was shot in the arm by police. All four gunshot victims are expected to survive, according to authorities.

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » June 26th, 2012, 8:31 am

In terms of response (opposed to prevention) this seems about as good as it gets. That seems like the last place I'd want to shoot someone. The 4 Wheeler the MPPD has is pretty cool, not something I'd want to be in a foot race with

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » June 26th, 2012, 9:07 am

In terms of response (opposed to prevention) this seems about as good as it gets. That seems like the last place I'd want to shoot someone. The 4 Wheeler the MPPD has is pretty cool, not something I'd want to be in a foot race with
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/2 ... nneapolis/
With that said...response can only do so much...maybe we need some better prevention

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 26th, 2012, 10:33 am

Regarding the City center is that space along 7th St. being rented by a renter who doesn't want a outside door? Secondly is that space designed like Nicollet Ave side full of windows and doors for street retail? I was going to suggest spreading the bus stop out a few blocks but I think that might make it worse on the other retailers.

what about this

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1715/busstop.png

Build a ramp over the bus stop for the sidewalk and underneath would be the bus stop also you could create about 3 foot section next to the building or road that way you can access the bus stop. You could build it out of glass on the sides to make it open up a bit and would double as a bus shelter! :mrgreen: Also it would need to be bigger than what I created in my quick image. Also set up cameras inside the bus stop would be a big bonus and posting signs that inform people they are being recording would help solve any crime that does happen. I think there would be enough clearance under the skyway to allow such a bus stop if not it could be moved slightly to be between both skyways.

Also inside the bus stop they could put in tons of seating have it heated/AC and even a widescreen tv (behind bullet proof glass of course :lol: Or maybe just a radio to help add to helping people stay busy which I think dentures a lot of crime.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 27th, 2012, 12:35 pm

I am not sure about all that actually being possible but I like the idea in general. A radio or T.V. under glass is a good idea. I am not sure people would really appreciate needing to walk over a bus stop though.
^ 4-d

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 27th, 2012, 2:59 pm

I am not sure about all that actually being possible but I like the idea in general. A radio or T.V. under glass is a good idea. I am not sure people would really appreciate needing to walk over a bus stop though.

I would agree would be a hassle to walk up a elevated slope. :lol: In all seriousness it also would damage the option of having store front space on the side of city center plus it would be a odd feature. However I would prefer that to the existing situation of being forced to walk past all those people standing still and they don't look very willing to move out of your way either. Then again I myself just cross the street or take another block past them :x usually they smell like smoke or look very unfriendly I feel safer avoiding them than risking conversation or a issue. Somthing needs to be done besides having 2 bus benches!

Maybe their is space in city center that they could rent to Metro transit? Instead of having a store front they could have a very open bus stop? Only negative I see is it may not be fully used, and it would be blocked by the sidewalk.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 10th, 2012, 12:27 pm

KSTP Investigates: Sunday Night Chaos at Downtown Bars

Hmmm maybe there should be noone under 21 in the bars. How about adding a fee to bars for the additional cost to law enforcement?
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 10th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Getting rid of the mandated bar closing time would solve most of the mess, IMO. The main problem is the exodus of everyone out of the bars all at the same time creating a near mob like rush. Letting the crowds disperse more gradually through the night would help a lot

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » July 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Getting rid of the mandated bar closing time would solve most of the mess, IMO. The main problem is the exodus of everyone out of the bars all at the same time creating a near mob like rush. Letting the crowds disperse more gradually through the night would help a lot
This.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Minnesota would get rid of many of it's archaic vice laws?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 11th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I doubt it would have much of an effect... I think most people would start bar hopping to the next club that stays open later... unless closing time was from 2:00 - 3:00 then maybe it would help. I don't think banning teenagers from bars would help then you will get more angry kids with nothing to do and wanting to cause problems.

I just would LOVE to see 24hour bars! :mrgreen: if they have something to do they will have less chance to start problems for the rest of society

could you imagin if Mystic Lake closed at 2AM and kicked all the old people out who enjoy gambling late at night... :lol:

Sure the morning commute would have a few more issues of people not getting home in time before they start the morning work day but come on If im on vacation or have a day off and feel like partying I would much rather prefer choosing when to go home. Also maybe it has something to do with no sale of alcohol on sundays ;)

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 20th, 2012, 10:53 am

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 18th, 2012, 10:31 am

Slightly off topic but I think it would be better here than opening a new thread. I personally have never really traveled North of the river downtown as because I was always told "Stay out of North!" Of course I'm kinda a new resident only been living downtown 3-4 years now so still getting to know where things are outside my little world by Loring Park haha

Question what do you define as the limits of the North Minneapolis's dangerous spots. Is there any areas you would avoid or suggest for others to avoid as a visitor? Also what are the points of interest that a new resident may wish to explore and visit?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2012, 10:59 am

North of the river downtown is Northeast, not North. It's confusing, I know.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Slightly off topic but I think it would be better here than opening a new thread. I personally have never really traveled North of the river downtown as because I was always told "Stay out of North!" Of course I'm kinda a new resident only been living downtown 3-4 years now so still getting to know where things are outside my little world by Loring Park haha

Question what do you define as the limits of the North Minneapolis's dangerous spots. Is there any areas you would avoid or suggest for others to avoid as a visitor? Also what are the points of interest that a new resident may wish to explore and visit?
Like any part of the city you have to know the areas to stay out of at night. I go and show from time to time in North. I ride by bike along the parkways which is part of North. There are some great housing values up in North in the right areas. IF and when real home ownership starts again in the North then things will improve. I hope that the city can figure out a way to get the houses damaaged by the tornado fixed and occupied. There are a large number of empty lots that could support and nice single family homes. I would hope that they would llok more like the current homes instead of a cheap suburban house with no character. You would be suprised by the large area in North that is safe to live and has some great small local businesses that make the area a popular place to hangout, like Victory 44.
Time will tell what happens to this area. Once the Lowery Bridge is back open I see that area getting to be more attractive to investment.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 19th, 2012, 12:23 am

3-4 years to get out of Loring Park... most of minneapolis is pretty safe especially during daylight hours. Explore a little... lol North of the river is great. Lot's of good bars and good food! West of the River and North of hwy 55 is the 'North' they are referring too... which can still be pretty cool in a lot of areas.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 19th, 2012, 3:19 am

Most of the problem parts of north are south of Lowry. Most of the crime happens at night, and the only area I would probably avoid is the area around North High. I'll admit that I don't know north too well (I grew up on the south side), but it sure is much better than the poor neighborhoods in Baltimore or Chicago.

I remember about 15 years ago, Phillips was much more rough than it is now, and 5th and Franklin was a kind of no-go area. Now the south side is in much better shape.