Introductions

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Re: Introductions

Postby thatchio » August 6th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I'm Thatcher, aka Thatchio. After years of posting at Minnescraper (and a site preceding that), I went cold turkey. I now sometimes post to OurUptown.com and may cross post some to Streets.mn. I'm a lurker now and enjoy reading your opinions, news, and more. I work for a developer and like many of you, found my way to this sort of site out of a passion for urban areas, particularly the urban business district.

I should add that I love complex urban issues because there is no easy answer and that compromise will be required. That is one key ingredient in why cities are so interesting.

While I wouldn't quite call myself a market-based urbanist, I have some strong affection towards the power of the market and so I tend to think we can better harness that power to accomplish the shared components of our vision.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 10th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Good to have you back, Thatcher.
Towns!

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » September 29th, 2012, 10:46 am

Hey all, so I just became aware of this site. It looks like the old site actually *is* functioning again now; but since the traffic appears to be here now I guess that's moot. Anyway, good to see you all again. Several months without the site means it's not part of my routine, we'll see if I start posting a bunch or not.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 30th, 2012, 11:42 am

Welcome back, Tom! Missed your insights.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 1st, 2012, 12:25 am

Hey all, so I just became aware of this site. It looks like the old site actually *is* functioning again now; but since the traffic appears to be here now I guess that's moot. Anyway, good to see you all again. Several months without the site means it's not part of my routine, we'll see if I start posting a bunch or not.

hey welcome back!

Also the old site is fuctioning as a free site now. Meaning it is limited to amount of views per month ie under 30,000 page views I think. Meaning from time to time we all can use Minnescraper to look up old info provided not everyone is doing it too. If they are then it does the lockout script error message lol. Nice to know that the site will still exist and allow people to visit it from time to time...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 1st, 2012, 12:45 pm

Ah yes I saw that... I had Minnescraper loaded into my Google Reader just in case some posts continue to trickle in.

Ottergoose
Metrodome

Postby Ottergoose » October 14th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Howdy! My name's also Nick. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a BS in Geography in 2008; asides from my time down there going to school (originally went there to study Meteorology), I've lived in/around the Twin Cities my whole life.

Most of my time's currently occupied by working as a web developer or keeping an eye on my 6 month and two year old boys; before they arrived, much of my free time was devoted to railroad photography, which is how I've ended up here - I really enjoy shooting the Hiawatha line, and can't wait for all of the new angles that'll be possible as the Central and SW corridors go in.

Urban planning issues are fascinating, and I've really enjoyed what I've read so far here, great stuff.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 17th, 2012, 2:20 pm

How about a BURP sometime soon? I was gone when you had your last one!

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 22nd, 2012, 11:36 pm

Lived in the twin cities my entire life. My dad worked in construction/development and when I was under school suspension I went to work with him. Not exactly a punishment for a Tonka kid to watch demolitions and the metrodome being built.

I have spent my entire adult life in Minneapolis and hope to chose a quiet, friendly, low hassle neighborhood with zero development to move to next. I just want six months to a year of peace before I move out east.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 15th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm Mike. I had stumbled upon MinneScraper a few times in the past. I just did again yesterday and saw the post about the new site. I think I spent 4 hrs yesterday checking out all the awesome info.

I love seeing the new developments around town. I am currently working for a fund accounting and administration services firm. I am beginning to think about moving into something that would have me more involved in what's happening around town. Could be for a city, developer, or construction company.

I look forward to sharing in the breaking news.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » November 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Hi, I'm Matt. In 2006, I started Minnescraper. I really enjoyed my time with that site, and got to preside over such fun projects as a logo contest! After about 3 years, the maintenance got to be too much for me, so luckily a nice guy took it over for me.

I have lived in the Minneapolis area since 1982 (moved here from Iowa as a kid) and now live in St Louis Park. I love the city and bike a lot. One of my favorite areas is Uptown.

I am excited to be on this site and look forward to contributing :-)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 18th, 2012, 1:18 am

Bapster! Yeah!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2012, 9:46 am

The bap is back

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Hey everyone. Finally found you guys! I was a poster back on Minneascraper. I found the new forum through Skyscrapercity.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 6th, 2012, 6:21 pm

If anyone is using the mobile version exclusively and hasn't noticed yet, I changed my username from Nick to Nick. Getting a bit old for the Animorphs reference. :lol:
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

kbee
Block E

Postby kbee » December 9th, 2012, 9:33 am

Hi All,

My name is Kyle. I'm new to UrbanMSP and actually never made it on to Minnescraper either. I was referred here by twincitizen who I happen to know IRL.

I'm a second year urban planning grad student at the Humphrey School, concentrating on transportation planning. My interests lie primarily in transit planning (though I am also interested in broader transportation issues), land use and development. I am also getting more involved in city politics and have been spending some time getting caught up on those issues. I live in Uptown so the Ward 10 race is particularly exciting.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here. I've been reading many of the threads and it looks like there is a lot of really great discussion and I hope to contribute!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 10th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Hi, I'm Joel. I am in no way part of the proper urban planning world; I'm just a development geek who loves to see things getting built—especially tall buildings, walkable communities, and rail lines. That said, I have a buddy from college who works at URS and an across-the-street neighbor in the planning business as well. My wife and I live and South MPLS, where we both unfortunately reverse commute by auto to our respective jobs. But we love the city lifestyle, from using the creek to walking to our neighborhood commercial node, to enjoying and improving our little 1939 home. I found UrbanMSP by Googling for updates on ... something. I don't know how much I'll contribute, but I read everything.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 11th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Huh, just found this thread. :)

I'm David and I've been working focusing on land use use and transportation issues with ISAIAH for the past nine years.

I first got passionate about urban development issues back in the "fascist town with a liberal paint job" Ann Arbor, MI. At least that's how a friend described it. I had the great privilege of visiting inner-city Detroit (not Greektown, but the "bad" parts) and thus got a good taste of what happens when people don't think about community-oriented spaces.

I'm originally from Hopkins, now living in Uptown. I'm a software developer but my real passion is working on issues of racial and economic equity, where urban development and transportation play a crucial role.

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » December 12th, 2012, 12:43 am

Name is Kyril. I am one part Estonia-born, one part Central-Asia-raised, all parts identity-crisis-ridden cosmopolite. My relatives now reside in 15 different countries, so my goal is to visit them all in the coming years. I'm a recent U of M grad. I like free beer and maps.
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Name is Kyril. I am one part Estonia-born, one part Central-Asia-raised, all parts identity-crisis-ridden cosmopolite. My relatives now reside in 15 different countries, so my goal is to visit them all in the coming years. I'm a recent U of M grad. I like free beer and maps.
Have you been to/are you going to Astana!? I'd be very jealous. I want to go there very bad. It reminds me a lot of Mpls, if we had a lot of oil money ;)