Introductions

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Introductions

Postby talindsay » March 7th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Nicely done! And I share my username with wikipedia precisely so that link can be made.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Doesn't everyone keep a dossier of names of everyone here?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 11th, 2014, 9:40 pm

The funny thing is, people make strange assumptions about gender. I've always assumed Avian was a woman just because to me that handle strikes me as feminine - but I have no idea. I've assigned gender to all of you in my mind, it would be funny to find out how often I'm right. Those of you who haven't met me, what's my gender?
Might have been because nasa35 always referred to him as a woman, but Avian (Joel?) came to the last happy hour and I'm reasonably confident that he's in fact male.
I actually thought elfangor was a girl for a long time.
Way better.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 12th, 2014, 7:06 am

That's where that name comes from! I new I had heard it before. Thanks Nick.

noodles
Block E

Postby noodles » April 24th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Finally got around to posting here. I know some of you personally, and a few of you via online personae on other forums/facebook/comment threads etc.
Brian Udell
Springfield's Chief of Police.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » May 24th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Been posting a bit, might as well introduce myself.

I am a long-time lover of cities and transport, ever since I was a kid drawing fantasy maps of the rail network in fantasy cities (often with peninsulas and harbors, quite unlike here)

As my handle indicates I grew up about 400 times further to the southwest than the SWLRT will run. I moved to the Twin Cities in 2000 and have been here most of the last 14 years. Liked the cities nearly as soon as I got here (I prefer winters to summers, so that helped) but got re-interested in urban issues when splitting my time between the antipodes and Minnesota a few years ago, and traveling a bit to Europe. It's not like they have been spared roads and minimum parking requirements, but not to the same excess. Made me keen to get involved in making the Twin Cities a better place, so I'm doing stuff around transit and parking in Prospect Park.

Anyone with too much time on their hands can work out who I am in IRL and that's OK :)

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 18th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Hi!

My name is Chava. I've been sneaking in and posting for quite some time now.

I moved to Minneapolis from Chicago at the beginning of March and am in the North Loop neighborhood. Having spent over 30 years in Chicago, I am reevaluating what it means to live an "urban" lifestyle now that I am in a city about 1/5 the size of my hometown. I love cities, love transit, and love culture. Burnham was genius, and the skyscraper is perfection. I never imagined being in a place so small, but I'm still here and there is plenty to keep exploring. You people have been an incredible resource to learning about all that is Urban MSP.

There are some things to which I am slowly adjusting:
-Liquor stores. Close early(not a deal breaker), AND don't sell on Sunday? Don't tell me to plan ahead!
-What's up with food delivery here? I can get some Pizza Luce, Jimmy Johns, Dominos, but what about some good Chinese? Anything. And you all know that Bite Squad service is a rip off, so don't even start suggesting that!
-Cars everywhere. Ok, I am getting over that. I now own one. But bars have parking lots?! Woah! Why?
-No El. Whereas people liken cars to freedom, having the subway and el was my freedom. Working through this.
-Mulch, everywhere.

Things I am learning to love:
-The river and all the trails along it. Holy crap it's beautiful. West river parkway is unreal!
-The skyline. For a small city, it's really is a gorgeous skyline. I am a Chicagoan, I know beautiful skylines. The fact that the sun doesn't go down until like 9:00pm makes for incredible views.
-The fact that how the city is being redeveloped stokes strong emotions in people. I don't agree with every idea, but I'm glad that people care enough to raise a stink. I hope that bold visions spring forth from this.
-How I can't go five minute without someone telling me about some fascinating thing they are doing on the weekend.
-LRT. I have few reasons to take it, but any reason to take it is a good reason!

Thanks for making this place.

Oh and hey St. Paul, I know you're out there, I just haven't had the chance to check you out. Open mind here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 18th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Okay so first of all welcome but lets get this out there. The Twin Cities is the 14th largest metro in the country, for some reason I don't like being called small, it can feel like a small place but eh. And there is Chinese delivery. I used this sit called Google to find it. http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=ch ... polis%2C+M

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 18th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Thanks, Grant.

Small relative to Chicago. Cook County, in which Chicago resides has 5 million people alone. When you get into the second ring burbs, it's even larger. It's a far different beast. That being said, this isn't podunk and has never felt like it. Small, in this case, isn't a bad thing. Most music tours come through the Cities, the pizza is pretty damn good here, there is some good architecture, and the local brew scene is incredible. These are all the marks of a great place. If size were the mark of desirability, then Houston would be on my list of places. It's not.

As for Chinese, any place that serves up food from several Asian countries is a no go in my book. this www.google.com fails in that sense! It's ok though. I've had some mean pho since I've been here. Not fried, and filled with meat. M yes.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 18th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Sorry don't know. When I went to Chinatown in Chicago we ordered from this place that was like dip song? I think.. It was freakishly good. Don't know if there's anything like that around here, might be in frogtown

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 18th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Dim sum! Yeah!
I'm sure there is great dim sum here.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 18th, 2014, 11:13 pm

the pizza is pretty damn good here
If you think so, that confirms the inferiority of Chicago "pizza."

As a transplant from the east coast, I'll agree that Minneapolis does feel small at times.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 19th, 2014, 12:09 am

I must find the dim sum!

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 19th, 2014, 5:05 am

the pizza is pretty damn good here
If you think so, that confirms the inferiority of Chicago "pizza."

As a transplant from the east coast, I'll agree that Minneapolis does feel small at times.
Ha! I won't take the bait for the pizza feuds. I've had great slices in many states. Florida being the only exception.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 19th, 2014, 7:26 am

The place for Dim Sum in the twin cities is Yangtze in SLP. Spendy, but tasty.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 19th, 2014, 10:04 am

Minneapolis metro is ~3.2 million and Chicago metro is ~9.5 million, so by that metric Minneapolis is 1/3 the size of Chicago, not 1/5. With that said though, the densely urban parts of Minneapolis are quite small compared to the vast densely-urban parts of Chicago. One benefit we get in exchange for that is that our city is *much* cleaner; and since Minneapolis has the second-highest gross metropolitan product in the midwest (barely ahead of Detroit), there's actually almost nothing you can get in Chicago that isn't available here. So welcome, hope you like it here!

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 19th, 2014, 10:36 am

Minneapolis metro is ~3.2 million and Chicago metro is ~9.5 million, so by that metric Minneapolis is 1/3 the size of Chicago, not 1/5. With that said though, the densely urban parts of Minneapolis are quite small compared to the vast densely-urban parts of Chicago. One benefit we get in exchange for that is that our city is *much* cleaner; and since Minneapolis has the second-highest gross metropolitan product in the midwest (barely ahead of Detroit), there's actually almost nothing you can get in Chicago that isn't available here. So welcome, hope you like it here!
This is interesting. Metro populations weren't really something I considered until I moved here. I was going strictly on 2012 city limit populations from Google of 2.715m in Chicago, 392,880 for MPLS. Of course that negates St Paul. Living in Chicago, you can end up living in a bubble of sorts where you don't leave the city limits, or even consider them part of your world. It's definitely an odd, and unfortunate world view. I know dozens of people there who would never venture outside the city limits or even think about it unless they were traveling to another state or country. It's pretty refreshing to see that people here seem eager to explore everything around them whether it be the state, or neighboring states.

So far I am really digging it. I have everything I need and so far summer here ROCKS. Let's hope we don't all wash away!

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » June 19th, 2014, 10:47 am

This is interesting. Metro populations weren't really something I considered until I moved here. I was going strictly on 2012 city limit populations from Google of 2.715m in Chicago, 392,880 for MPLS. Of course that negates St Paul. Living in Chicago, you can end up living in a bubble of sorts where you don't leave the city limits, or even consider them part of your world. It's definitely an odd, and unfortunate world view. I know dozens of people there who would never venture outside the city limits or even think about it unless they were traveling to another state or country. It's pretty refreshing to see that people here seem eager to explore everything around them whether it be the state, or neighboring states.

So far I am really digging it. I have everything I need and so far summer here ROCKS. Let's hope we don't all wash away!
Keep in mind that Minneapolis city proper is fairly small area wise compared to most cities. Take San Diego for example, it is 372 sq/miles with a city population of 1.34 million (3.2 million metro). Whereas Minneapolis is 58 sq/miles and a city population of 392,000 (3.4 million metro). Even Chicago is 234 sq/miles.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 19th, 2014, 10:52 am

Chicago is also quite large at 234 sq miles. But it's obvious that Chicago "feels" much bigger as it has such wide expanses of density.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » July 10th, 2014, 11:14 am

Emporis places the Minneapolis Metro at just above 3.6 million.