Introductions

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mckilanowski
Block E
Posts: 6
Joined: September 29th, 2015, 10:26 pm
Location: Hopkins (Avenues West)

Re: Introductions

Postby mckilanowski » September 30th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Good morning!

I'm Matt, I reside in West Minneapo... er... Hopkins, I've been following the streets.mn blog amd podcast for a while, and now I'm jumping in on the forums since I read through a bunch of threads and liked it. I may as well chime in from time to time, even though I'm no expert on anything here. Just a resident interested in how the area is developing.

siirie
Block E
Posts: 1
Joined: October 6th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby siirie » October 20th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Hi all!

I've been reading things here as a sort of resource into the local world of urban/city things, and I've been thinking I should get involved/say things every now and then. So! Here I am. I live in Loring Park-ish in Minneapolis, and I work at a non-profit neighborhood development organization in STP. I'm finishing up my MURP in the next year or so--it's taking me a while since I've been working full time--and I did the urban studies minor in undergrad at UMN. My focus is on neighborhood revitalization, but I still love hearing about big developments, transport high jinks, and fancy design.

Matthew
Block E
Posts: 5
Joined: October 25th, 2015, 8:15 am

Re: Introductions

Postby Matthew » October 25th, 2015, 9:11 am

I'm Matt. I joined after lurking for two years, mostly so I can not feel like such a stalker anymore. I've got a M. Arch from the U, and am working on getting licensed, so I hesitate to call myself an architect just yet. I grew up in New York and moved here four years ago and have lived downtown since.
Interests include: buildings, the built environment, and long bike rides on the greenway.

(do I fit in?)

User avatar
seamonster
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 153
Joined: May 14th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby seamonster » October 29th, 2015, 8:08 am

Sorry for the lengthy review of your application, Matthew. Before a final decision has been made regarding your inquiry to "fitting in," there are a few questions the moderators would like pose to you:

Are you fluent in snark?
Were you aware of the hot rods in North St. Paul?
Did you recognize the second question as an example of the first?
Are you a believer in the consortium?
Anything is better than a surface parking lot. True or false?

All kidding aside, welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

Matthew
Block E
Posts: 5
Joined: October 25th, 2015, 8:15 am

Re: Introductions

Postby Matthew » October 31st, 2015, 9:51 am

seamonster wrote:Sorry for the lengthy review of your application, Matthew. Before a final decision has been made regarding your inquiry to "fitting in," there are a few questions the moderators would like pose to you:

Are you fluent in snark?
Were you aware of the hot rods in North St. Paul?
Did you recognize the second question as an example of the first?
Are you a believer in the consortium?
Anything is better than a surface parking lot. True or false?

All kidding aside, welcome. I'm a newbie here myself.

1) I thought I was, but then I spent a day trying to come up with a snarky response and I've got nothing. So no. However I've been repeated referred to as "jaded" by my coworkers if that counts for anything.

2) No.

3) No. (obvs)

4) Two words: plausible deniability

5) True, but that doesn't give a developer a free pass to cover a building in Hardie.


I kind of wish we had a confessions board, because I've got a doozy: I actually like City Center. Something about that late-'70s concrete laden despair just gets go me. Same goes for Moos Towers. Boy, I got hell for that opinion in school.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4602
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: Introductions

Postby FISHMANPET » October 31st, 2015, 10:02 am

We've got a thread for all your embarrassing confessions: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2467

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3784
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Introductions

Postby Silophant » October 31st, 2015, 11:47 am

Matthew wrote:I've got a M. Arch from the U, and am working on getting licensed, so I hesitate to call myself an architect just yet.
Eh, I happily call myself an engineer despite still being twoish years away from taking the PE exam. Sell yourself high, not low.

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: Introductions

Postby Sacrelicio » November 27th, 2015, 11:47 am

Name is Justin, grew up in the western suburbs, live smack dab in the middle of south Minneapolis and work in North Loop. Always had an interest in city planning and urban issues.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6187
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Introductions

Postby twincitizen » December 4th, 2015, 10:46 am

Welcome to the forum!

If you ever feel like writing in longer form for streets.mn, you can get more information on that side of the website.

And not as a slight to anyone else, but I just wanted to say you're one of the best new active members of the forum in recent months. Keep it coming!

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: Introductions

Postby Sacrelicio » December 4th, 2015, 2:15 pm

twincitizen wrote:Welcome to the forum!

If you ever feel like writing in longer form for streets.mn, you can get more information on that side of the website.

And not as a slight to anyone else, but I just wanted to say you're one of the best new active members of the forum in recent months. Keep it coming!
Alright, thanks!! Hope to write something soon!

trigonalmayhem

Re: Introductions

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 5th, 2016, 9:39 am

Matthew wrote:I've been repeated referred to as "jaded" by my coworkers if that counts for anything.
Why hello, kindred spirit! Don't let the yeasayers dull your cynicism. There's plenty to be disappointed by! (Sort of snark but not completely)

eastharrietguy
City Center
Posts: 35
Joined: December 28th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby eastharrietguy » January 9th, 2016, 3:38 am

Hi all, Tom here. Just found this thread after a year of being a registered member. Before that, was a lurker here and at Minnescraper. I'm guessing I'm older than just about everyone here - I moved to Minnie from NY over 40 years ago to attend the U of M. I am market analyst in the multifamily industry and have closely followed development in the cities since the late 70s. I have traveled all over the country for work and believe that the Twin Cities is just about the best place to live anywhere.

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: Introductions

Postby Sacrelicio » January 9th, 2016, 1:45 pm

eastharrietguy wrote:Hi all, Tom here. Just found this thread after a year of being a registered member. Before that, was a lurker here and at Minnescraper. I'm guessing I'm older than just about everyone here - I moved to Minnie from NY over 40 years ago to attend the U of M. I am market analyst in the multifamily industry and have closely followed development in the cities since the late 70s. I have traveled all over the country for work and believe that the Twin Cities is just about the best place to live anywhere.
Would be really interesting to hear why you think it's such a great place, since you're from out of state, have lived here for decades, and your opinion probably isn't as rooted in the recent slew of listicles making the rounds on social media. Would be cool to hear more of a long term perspective.

eastharrietguy
City Center
Posts: 35
Joined: December 28th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby eastharrietguy » January 9th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Its easy to live here. Traffic is not as bad as most other bigger metros. You don't have to wait (usually) to use an ATM. We have about as much to offer (arts/culture/education/sports/recreation/entertainment) here as any metro in the country, except for the very biggest. There is a strong sense of civic engagement and generally "clean" government. It's that old "quality of life" argument. I also happen to like the winter, which is a non-starter for many. But truly there is something to be said for 4 seasons. There are other cities I have been to that I like for various reasons, Portland, Seattle, Boston and a few I don't know a lot about (Atlanta) but based on my travels, this is the best place to be. I meet my siblings in Florida for a week each winter and last year my brother's girlfriend asked me where I want to live when I retire. I didn't hesitate to say "Minneapolis!" Why move because I am retired? As long as I can have that week away in February... :-)

User avatar
Sacrelicio
Union Depot
Posts: 367
Joined: November 11th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Location: Field

Re: Introductions

Postby Sacrelicio » January 9th, 2016, 8:29 pm

eastharrietguy wrote:Its easy to live here. Traffic is not as bad as most other bigger metros. You don't have to wait (usually) to use an ATM. We have about as much to offer (arts/culture/education/sports/recreation/entertainment) here as any metro in the country, except for the very biggest. There is a strong sense of civic engagement and generally "clean" government. It's that old "quality of life" argument. I also happen to like the winter, which is a non-starter for many. But truly there is something to be said for 4 seasons. There are other cities I have been to that I like for various reasons, Portland, Seattle, Boston and a few I don't know a lot about (Atlanta) but based on my travels, this is the best place to be. I meet my siblings in Florida for a week each winter and last year my brother's girlfriend asked me where I want to live when I retire. I didn't hesitate to say "Minneapolis!" Why move because I am retired? As long as I can have that week away in February... :-)
I'd just live here and find a way to spend as much time as I could in warmer locales during the worst parts of winter.

User avatar
jw138
Union Depot
Posts: 338
Joined: June 30th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby jw138 » January 10th, 2016, 10:46 am

Welcome, eastharrietguy! I couldn't agree more. Were I to win the super-mega-billions-lotto I'd still maintain home base in Minneapolis. It bugs me when I hear people complain incessantly about our winters. Many of us actually like and appreciate every season. It's kind of fun on days like today to bundle up and get out into the elements. I have a feeling that a lot of the complainers just don't know how to dress appropriately. My one and only complaint about our weather is that it'd be nice to extend spring and fall by a couple weeks. They go by so quickly.

tab
Metrodome
Posts: 96
Joined: May 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby tab » January 12th, 2016, 12:33 pm

A great recent article about winter, that probably applies to many in Minneapolis as well...
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... se/396746/

eastharrietguy
City Center
Posts: 35
Joined: December 28th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby eastharrietguy » January 13th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Great article, Tab. Now I want to visit Tromso!

Greenbug
Block E
Posts: 1
Joined: January 19th, 2016, 10:20 pm

Re: Introductions

Postby Greenbug » January 19th, 2016, 10:37 pm

I'm Lindsey, and discovered streets.mn last year through a posting about the Nicole Curtis/Lisa Bender drama somewhere on the blogosphere. I'm MInneapolis-born and currently living here while working on my MPP project, involving the relationship between strategic greenery and crime reduction in Minneapolis, and the viability implementing a publicly funded, strategic greenery program here. I've read a LOT of great posts from passionate, informed people here, so hope to eventually pick some brains. Glad to have found this space!

Lindsey

masstrlk67
City Center
Posts: 46
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 2:52 pm
Location: Northeast Minneapolis

Re: Introductions

Postby masstrlk67 » January 25th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Hi, everyone. I've been reading and occasionally posting for about a year now so I thought I should introduce myself finally. My name is Mike, and I've been living in Minneapolis for about a year and a half. I went to college in Northfield and I grew up in Chicago (the city, not a suburb! ;) ). I am currently studying GIS, and I work part time in active living.


Return to “Anything Goes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest