Re: Skateboarding

Postby twinkess » June 5th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Oooooo, result number three is good.
You mean conservapaedia? That place is SCARY

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 6th, 2015, 6:04 am

Oh please. Having a skateboarder or bicyclist buzzing you without warning is not the same as people throwing footballs.

When I say no skateboards in public places I don't mean ban skateboards. I mean no damaging public property (that means no touching public art) and it means being respectful to everyone else.
You reacted harshly to the idea of skateboarders in Gold Medal Park. You've consistently conflated property damage and endangering your children. What's your suggestion for how to manage these issues? Because the clear indication I got was that you want skateboarders relegated to designated skateparks.

And how often are you being buzzed by skateboarders? Because I don't think it's ever happened to me. But I have been hit by stray frisbees and balls.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2015, 8:09 pm

You're right. It's conflated because skateboarders often conflate the skateboard as performance art and the skateboard as transportation.

I would say this: keep skateboarding off pedestrian paths (some sidewalks, the Gold Medal Park spiral walkway, etc.). I realize that skateboarding in the street is probably not a good idea but when separate bike/ped trails are present, skateboarders should stick to the bike path.

I say some sidewalks because on a very narrow sidewalk it's probably not safe to mix pedestrians and skateboarders.

No tricks that damage property allowed except at designated skate parks. For all practical purposes, I think that means no tricks except at skate parks but I'll allow that there may be some tricks that don't do damage.

I won't say that buzzing is super-frequent but when it happens it's frightening. I've hade skateboarders and cyclists do it so I'm not blaming one more than the other.

Keep wheels on wheel trails and don't damage property. Is this really so unreasonable?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 6th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Yes. Skaters are closer to running speed, not biking speed. They don't belong on bike paths any more than runners do.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 8th, 2015, 11:13 am

Can confirm that one time a skater lost his board and it rolled into my ankle and I almost died.
Well, you know, no nuisance is worth being worried about unless it causes death. :roll:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 9th, 2015, 3:23 am

I'll confirm sarcasm, but having been in Europe and especially Italy in the past weeks I have to laugh at people who try to pretend that other people are liable for their children in public spaces and that policy should be in place or regulation to do their job of parenting. Here the streets and narrow sidewalks are a free for all, and my friends who live here confirm there are rarely incidents. Yet you're being "buzzed" by just about everything all the time. I wonder how they make it into adulthood. (Sarcasm)

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » June 9th, 2015, 1:06 pm

So, after spending a few (iphoneless) days backpacking in the wilderness, I just wanted to circle back to this topic and make a few points.

1) After apparently arguing in favor of vandalism and injuring the public with skateboards, I walked to the light rail station on Friday only to be nearly run-down by a bmx biker as he hopped down from scratching up the government center ledges while his punk friend filmed the whole thing. What are the chances...I had to laugh.

2) And yes it hurts something awful to get hit in the ankle with a run-away skateboard. This is something that should be prevented as much as possible.

3) No, not all skateboarding (or graffiti) is art. I was specifically responding to the video posted and the reaction to it. In that video, the skateboarders in Gold Medal Park and all around town were skilled and graceful. Skateboarding is an athletic activity, recreation, a lot of things, but when done on that level it's definitely also art. As much as a dance performance anyway. You don't have to respect it or like it for that to be true.

4) The danger caused by skateboarders is more perception than reality. Skateboarders are a danger -- to themselves. If you get buzzed walking down the sidewalk, it often feels like someone put you in danger but they probably didn't. When you're moving on a skateboard at a faster speed, you're able to maneuver pretty quickly. The issue is trivial compared to the steel boxes weighing thousands of pounds flying around your neighborhood literally killing people. Injuries by skateboards are nearly always to the skateboarder.

5) The ledges and rails do get scratched by skateboards. Especially bad is the wax. Still, at least to me, the metal corners and other skatestoppers they add after the fact are far more destructive and ugly that any damage caused by the skateboarders.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 9th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Still, at least to me, the metal corners and other skatestoppers they add after the fact are far more destructive and ugly that any damage caused by the skateboarders.
Thanks for the thoughtful post.

As to the above, if people didn't damage property in the first place these things wouldn't be needed.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » June 21st, 2015, 1:55 pm

http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/06/w ... rt/395879/

This is in the direction of a less adversarial and more enlightened approach. Want to activate public spaces? Purposely build your sculptures and benches to be skateable.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 28th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Oh please. Having a skateboarder or bicyclist buzzing you without warning is not the same as people throwing footballs.

When I say no skateboards in public places I don't mean ban skateboards. I mean no damaging public property (that means no touching public art) and it means being respectful to everyone else.
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/07/2 ... eboarding/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 28th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Nailed it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 22nd, 2015, 3:51 pm

I hope we never get a skatepark for these terrible teenage boys.

https://twitter.com/JeaneanThomas/statu ... 52/photo/1

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 13th, 2016, 2:17 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 21st, 2016, 10:44 am

Has there ever been talk of turning the vacant post office lot into a skatepark? Could have a Pier 62 or Tribeca feel to it being so close to the river.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 24th, 2019, 6:44 pm

A new skatepark in North Minneapolis was built with improved stormwater treatment on Emerson.

https://twitter.com/MississippiWMO/stat ... 2264497152