Favorite Skyscrapers (old, new, proposed, cancelled)

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
spearson
Landmark Center

Re: Favorite Skyscrapers (old, new, proposed, cancelled)

Postby spearson » December 6th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Kind of reminds me of a stack of jenga blocks, especially when it starts to get tall not necessarily neatly put together.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 10th, 2012, 9:42 pm

^^^ I think the issue is this part of Manhattan is overbuilt with skyscrapers, and people are weary of the monotony. This shakes up the conventional concept of what the form of a skycraper should be. Would never work in Minneapolis and it would look terrible here. For its location in Manhattan though, it would look striking.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 8th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Now this is mixed use... Calgary is getting some cool stuff. Wish the Ryan Proposal for the strib blocks would have been more like this... oh wait this has almost everything they have, on one block...

http://www.dezeen.com/2013/07/08/telus- ... th-dialog/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 8th, 2013, 11:43 pm

^^^ I saw this project on Skyscrapercity. Very cool. I do like the Ryan project in many ways and it is good architecture. However, a drawback with that project (and many other downtown developments) in Minneapolis is they are only built for one use. Everything is spread out too thin and makes many places empty for most of the weekend and evenings. It really doesn't create enough of the dense concentration and critical mass of people we need to make Nicollet Mall a lively bustling retail district again, or have the new park across from Ryan project be active year round. I'm hopeful with less available vacant land downtown, we will begin to see more intense multi-use developments that are more vertical in nature. It's not just about having nice skyscrapers to look at while driving on 35W. It's really a key part of making our downtown a truly dynamic urban center.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 9th, 2013, 8:51 am

Now this is mixed use... Calgary is getting some cool stuff. Wish the Ryan Proposal for the strib blocks would have been more like this... oh wait this has almost everything they have, on one block...
Besides the fact that we'd both enjoy a new, cool skyscraper downtown, I'm not quite clear what your beef is with the Ryan project, and who you think is responsible for its shortcomings.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 9th, 2013, 9:30 am

Ryan is talking about 300+ units of residential with their proposal, in addition to retail at a future date. If that happens it will improve the project bringing a better mix.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 9th, 2013, 10:06 am

I was in San Francisco recently and saw some great residential projects going up:

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 9th, 2013, 10:17 am

^^^I like those first two, but that 3rd one could be a disaster if they use the wrong materials.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2013, 11:23 am

Besides the fact that we'd both enjoy a new, cool skyscraper downtown, I'm not quite clear what your beef is with the Ryan project, and who you think is responsible for its shortcomings.
I don't REALLY have much of a beef with the Ryan Project, I realize that there is private market demands behind both of the projects, But it makes me sad to see other cities get better designed, better thought out, more interesting, and more dense projects than us. I just think for 3 blocks of prime real estate it could be utilized a lot better. Split up the parking between all three lots and the park: under ground, put the apartments on top of the offices (and in front). There has to be more profitable uses of the 3rd lot even if it comes down the road a few years... I'm just pointing out a more efficient use of space and a better example of mixed use. The Ryan Project is palatable, but it is definitely NOT the best.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2013, 11:25 am

I don't REALLY have much of a beef with the Ryan Project, I realize that there is private market demands behind both of the projects, But it makes me sad to see other cities get better designed, better thought out, more interesting, and more dense projects than us. I just think for 3 blocks of prime real estate it could be utilized a lot better. Split up the parking between all three lots and the park: under ground, put the apartments on top of the offices (and in front). There has to be more profitable uses of the 3rd lot even if it comes down the road a few years... I'm just pointing out a more efficient use of space and a better example of mixed use. The Ryan Project is palatable, but it is definitely NOT the best.
Edit* I also see Calgary as a fairly similar type of city to Minneapolis, and their recent developments have definitely been in the right direction, so maybe I'm a little jealous ;)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 9th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Edit* I also see Calgary as a fairly similar type of city to Minneapolis, and their recent developments have definitely been in the right direction, so maybe I'm a little jealous ;)
Calgary is a sophisticated and wealthy city (from oil) with a strong downtown core and less suburban sprawl (than here). I know some people may take offense , but I think many of the developers we see building in Minneapolis are very much on the conservative side , if not a little bit provincial at times. Definitely not risk takers or going outside of the box! We also see more of a suburban mentality here. It's getting better though.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Pretty awesome set of balconies on this one... how does this make the foes of external balconies feel?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 6th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Pretty awesome set of balconies on this one... how does this make the foes of external balconies feel?

That's just hideous.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2013, 2:59 pm

That's just hideous.
Hideous because... you just don't like modern architecture in general, or you don't like triangles, or???

It's definitely a creative take on the square repetitive balconies that repeat exactly the same that so many people seem to dislike, and adds a lot of dynamics to the building.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 6th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I like the weird balconies a LOT, but I kind of hate the way that the building interacts with the ground. Going to go ahead and assume that there's a reason it was built that way though. (Flooding, for example.)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Going to go ahead and assume that there's a reason it was built that way though. (Flooding, for example.)
Being in Holland, that could be very possible.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 7th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Hideous because... you just don't like modern architecture in general, or you don't like triangles, or???
I think it's the shadows. The balconies just dominate the facade way too much. I'm fine with modern architecture, just not this.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 21st, 2017, 1:57 pm

Revitalizing this thread to show all of you the Snow Kreilich entry for The City Above the City international design competition. A wood skyscraper sitting atop the Target Commons.

http://snowkreilich.com/ourwork/north-w ... mpetition/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 21st, 2017, 2:15 pm

I like the description of the concept - using lighter wood to build taller than the originally planned additional concrete stories - more than the image. Not that I'm in anyway qualified to be a architecture critic, but the things sticking out look unbalanced and out of place and the overall shape and appearance neither speaks to the older base nor sufficiently contrasts from it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 21st, 2017, 2:16 pm

This would be fine.