Des Moines

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Des Moines

Postby mplser » May 25th, 2015, 2:20 pm

When I was there visiting with my sister, her SUV actually got stuck in the mud on a street that was probably paved at one point in time. This wasn't even half a mile outside of downtown in a residential area.

mastermind
Block E

Postby mastermind » July 12th, 2015, 7:29 pm

A few large and significant projects announced this year.

High rise apartments in top of city garage
-7th & Grand Approximately 200 units
Nelson Development

-5th & Walnut 32 stories, 200 units, rock climbing wall, daycare, jazz club, 9 screen movie theater

Krause Gateway Center (Kum & Go Gas station HQ)Designed by world renowned Renzo Piano Building Workshop

http://www.kumandgo.com/2015/06/new-dow ... dquarters/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2015, 2:10 pm

If anyone is ever heading to DSM, I have a friend who is an architect at a downtown firm and leads architecture tours. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you around. I usually get an update when I'm down there for work.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2015, 9:16 am

It is sad that Des Moines developers seem to take their architecture more seriously that they do here in MPLS. But then I think they have companies that want to show a better image of who they are and it shows in what they build. Just my opinion.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 14th, 2015, 10:20 am

I am heartened that it took 2 entire days before someone made that comment.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2015, 10:36 am

I have older issues of Iowa Architect and I see when caliber of architects and projects that Des Moines has pulled in to help give it more respect. I've seen Des Moines go thru a great transformation in the last 20 years. I must say that they have developers, corporations, and private individuals who take great pride in their city. I'm amazed by the transformation of the part of the city that is closest to the Capitol. It was once run down and now has filled in with rehabs and new classy building that has made the area around the Capitol a place to be now. I'm glad to see so many companies that are remaining in the CBD and investing in the city its self. MPLS take note on how it should be.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 14th, 2015, 11:10 am

I mean Des Moines is great and all, but I don't think its a vast difference like you are making it out to be. Most of the new building (and new commercial growth) has come exclusively in Downtown/East Village. Their nodes (Beaverdale, Highland Park, etc.) haven't seen much investment. If you look at all the new stuff going on in the North Loop, downtown, Nordeast, Uptown, and the little nodes, I think there have been plenty of exciting projects that show people care about our city. Renzo Piano didn't design any of them, but that doesn't mean people don't have pride in our city.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 14th, 2015, 11:16 am

Yeah, Renzo Piano. Apparently the nouveau riche gas station owners are feeling the need to prove they've arrived.

Also, Kum and Go is still funny.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 16th, 2015, 6:21 am

I have older issues of Iowa Architect and I see when caliber of architects and projects that Des Moines has pulled in to help give it more respect. I've seen Des Moines go thru a great transformation in the last 20 years. I must say that they have developers, corporations, and private individuals who take great pride in their city. I'm amazed by the transformation of the part of the city that is closest to the Capitol. It was once run down and now has filled in with rehabs and new classy building that has made the area around the Capitol a place to be now. I'm glad to see so many companies that are remaining in the CBD and investing in the city its self. MPLS take note on how it should be.
huh? what should mpls take note of? all i've read this year are companies moving from suburb to mpls CBD. and companies expanding and/or renewing leases. i guess 2 billion of investment isn't enough for you. we really need to follow des moines lead eh. ok then.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 16th, 2015, 7:27 am

Yeah, but TCF is moving to the burbs, so that totally invalidates all the corps that are moving or expanding downtown.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mastermind
Block E

Postby mastermind » August 7th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Renderings released today for
Nelson Development, Substance Architecture, BVK Group
-7th & Grand: Office, Parking, Retail/Restaurant, Residential
Units increased to 250 units

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 7th, 2015, 9:03 pm

So, we're not the only ones stricken with disjointed architectural malfeasance.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » August 8th, 2015, 3:25 am

Oh my. that is terrible.

mastermind
Block E

Postby mastermind » August 9th, 2015, 12:55 pm

The east and west elevations look much better with all glass facades.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » May 25th, 2016, 11:38 pm

I found some news about a tower being proposed on the site of the old Younkers in downtown Des Moines.
Blackbird Investments is already renovating the portion of building that survived a massive fire in March 2014. It now wants to build a $60 million high-rise on the empty lot next door, at Seventh and Walnut streets.

The company's plans call for 220 residential units that could be sold as condos or rented as apartments, a hotel with roughly 150 rooms and some storefronts on the ground level. . .

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /84866192/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 26th, 2016, 7:06 am

Daaaaang! That's nice! I hope it goes through!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 26th, 2016, 9:17 am

Nice that they have enough budget to create the entire facade out of blocks of machined stainless steel.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 15th, 2016, 9:55 am

I got to a nice higher-up view in downtown Des Moines

ImageDes Moines skyline from UnityPoint Health 8-12-16 by Matt Bappe, on Flickr

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » August 18th, 2016, 4:46 pm

That's a great shot! I've always enjoyed downtown Des Moines, especially by the sculpture garden.

Has anyone heard anymore news regarding the towers proposed there?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 22nd, 2016, 7:27 am

Via Donald Shoup, here's an article about how the city is losing money on their downtown parking ramps. They've had a deficit of $19 million over the last decade and the annual loss grew to over $3 million last year. A lot of non-city-owned parking has opened up since 2000.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /87156988/