Denver

EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Denver

Postby EOst » May 23rd, 2016, 6:53 am

A single anecdote isn't data, of course, but an LRT line you can build greenfield houses within a couple miles of isn't something we want to emulate, no matter how pretty it makes the system map.
I actually don't think there's anything wrong with that in principle, as long as it's smartly developed (grid, density near the station, etc.). That's how places like St. Louis Park got their start, after all.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 23rd, 2016, 4:16 pm

When I was out there last month...I was told that one or two of the original "fast tracks" lines were switched to BRT. Not sure there is any truth to that at all?

MountainDude
Block E

Postby MountainDude » May 24th, 2016, 7:24 pm

No lines were switched to BRT. Original plans had a BRT line running to Boulder (along with a rail line not built yet). The BRT line started in January...but it's more BRT-lite...no dedicated lane the entire way (mostly uses HOV), but has dedicated freeway stops.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 8th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Just got back from Denver. I was stuck in their convention center the whole time, so I didn't get a whole lot of chances to explore the city.

But from what I saw, the standout feature was the 16th Street Mall. I've got to say, it blows Nicollet Mall out of the water in almost every way. It's got active street frontages for most of its length. The space in the middle is very attractive, with a lot of dense trees, and (from what I could tell) was decently programmed. I especially liked these chairs that roll/spin around.

The layout is far more pedestrian friendly, with bus lanes separated by a median so they don't feel like an anti-pedestrian barrier.

Also, the free MallRide bus service is great. It's the only service on the mall, making it much less confusing than the current Nicollet Mall Free Ride service, and it comes every 3 minutes. The buses stop at every block, but they seem to move much more quickly than the buses on Nicollet do. They're also custom designed, with each 40-foot bus having 4 doors, lots of standing room, and the driver positioned on the right (providing better sight lines of pedestrians). Their automated announcements, even though they're announcing a stop every block, are right on time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 9th, 2016, 8:55 am

16th Street Mall. I've got to say, it blows Nicollet Mall out of the water in almost every way. It's got active street frontages for most of its length.
But do they have skyways?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 9th, 2016, 9:45 am

16th Street Mall. I've got to say, it blows Nicollet Mall out of the water in almost every way. It's got active street frontages for most of its length.
But do they have skyways?
During my limited time, I don't remember seeing a single one!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 10th, 2016, 7:47 pm

They have a couple open air walkways - they aren't climate controlled.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 11th, 2016, 9:22 am

Crazy! It's almost as if Denver has a more temperate climate than Minneapolis!

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » March 19th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Article titled "Denver Battles with Its 'Fugly' New Housing."

http://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/d ... ng/519333/

A takeaway from the article:
While some might say these critiques of Denver’s new buildings are just reactionary responses of people afraid to change, Franck disagrees. When NIMBY concerns of population density are voiced, she says, “If you really drill down, it’s not density. It’s not development. It's that these new buildings don’t reflect the identity of the place that exists.”

“I believe firmly that when normal people respond negatively to new development, they often do so with worries about increase in traffic, lack of parking, [and] school crowding. But, when I dig down into their concerns, they often do not realize how dense their neighborhoods already are, and when pressed, they will finally say, in exasperation, ‘well, it just doesn't look much like Denver,’” she says. “Neighborhoods that have Design Overlay Districts, or Historic Districts and design review or that developed a neighborhood plan seem to have [fewer] new ugly buildings and less protest.”

MountainDude
Block E

Postby MountainDude » June 29th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Denver's primary infill development website just posted bi-annual updates of downtown residential and non-residential developments since 2010. Local infill geeks love the June and December posts. Mmmm...data-licious.
http://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/06/do ... -2017.html
http://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/06/do ... -2017.html

canyoudigit
Block E

Postby canyoudigit » September 28th, 2017, 8:47 am

I live in Denver but Minneapolis is home.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2017, 9:38 am

Tall buildings are cool but this looks like something I made in high school playing around in Sketchup

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2017, 10:58 am

You weren't quite that good grant ;)

In any case it would be the most interesting building in their skyline (yes, that's shade) ... and yet also more interesting than our last 90 story proposal...

It would be cool to see some mid sized cities getting some landmark towers again. That might encourage something up here!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2017, 12:32 pm

It's just a lot of angles and glass. Like, I like both of those things, but it's sharp and edgy and gives me a bad taste.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 29th, 2017, 8:35 am

From an east coast eye, better than the towers going up at Hudson Yards, but not as good as One Vanderbilt, 9 DeKalb, or Foster's new Comcast tower in Philadelphia.

See the links in that article though. The double tower from the same developer is extremely bad. Looks like it should be in Brickell, Miami.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 29th, 2017, 10:38 am

Double tower kinda looks like the Westin Hotel & Condominiums that was originally proposed for the Powers block

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 2nd, 2017, 2:42 pm

This article explains the delay on the G-Line commuter rail and the ongoing signaling issues with the A-Line: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/28/rt ... f=obinsite

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 15th, 2018, 12:56 pm

So I'm in Denver this weekend exploring before being at a conference downtown this coming week.

A few thoughts:

Lots of residential infill going in on the outskirts of downtown, but instead of the Minneapolis standard 5+1 construction with a level of underground parking, it seems to almost all be 6-10 stories of residential on top of parking podiums. I can't tell if it's just a symptom of more demand driving more units per block, or if it's a code thing. Maybe they're only allowed to do two or three stories of wood construction, which wouldn't be worth it, so since they have to go concrete anyway they just go significantly bigger? Kinda like how Minneapolis doesn't have any new 8 story residential buildings - it's a step change from 6 stories up to 11-13 like WaHu or Latitude 45.

There's a good amount of bike infrastructure, and a decent number of bikes on the streets, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only person using the bikeshare system this weekend. The B Cycles and their huge front baskets should stand out almost as much as the lime green Nice Rides, but I haven't seen a single one not being ridden by me.
Update: just saw a couple riding them to the zoo. Still weirdly rare, though...

I'm... less convinced that the skyways are actually killing DT Minneapolis. There's very few here, (though there are some!), and there's definitely more storefronts on the downtown streets, but in my day and a half of anecdotal experience, there's not a lot more people walking on the downtown streets than there would be on a Minneapolis Saturday or Sunday morning. (Assuming it was 50 and sunny in Minneapolis. I'm sure there's practically no one outside on Nicollet today. ;) ) This opinion subject to change after I'm out and about over the next few weekdays, of course.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 15th, 2018, 4:16 pm

It was much warmer when I visited around this time of year 3 years ago, and there was plenty of activity on the Mall. But off the Mall the activity dies down a bit.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 16th, 2018, 9:37 am

My limited experience with Denver's CBD made me think in many ways that it's less impressive than Minneapolis' in a lot of ways. But I would say that many of their immediately adjacent neighborhoods seem to be a lot more lively than anything we have (with perhaps the exception of CenHenn).