Michigan Central Station to be rehabbed by Ford

at40man
Rice Park

Michigan Central Station to be rehabbed by Ford

Postby at40man » June 11th, 2018, 9:16 am

I feel giddy about this, and I don't even live in Detroit! I love it when wiser minds prevail to preserve historic buildings. The building will be saved; just a few years ago the city was strongly considering demolishing it.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... will-adorn

Some historic photos: https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/9/20/16 ... ric-photos

MattW
Rice Park

Re: Michigan Central Station to be rehabbed by Ford

Postby MattW » June 11th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Oh, the irony!

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » June 11th, 2018, 9:28 pm

It's deliciously ironic that it will be Ford's hub for autonomous vehicles. I wonder if Amtrak will consider moving their operations back to the station? Apparently the depot Amtrak built in Detroit after they left MCS was only supposed to be a temporary structure. It would also be cool if the PeopleMover system was extended out toward the station. Of course, that's with the assumption that Ford would open the station parts up to the public again. (I hope they do!)

That Ford is taking this on is also just more evidence that we tear down so many buildings prematurely, with the idea that tearing them down will help revitalize a blighted area. My respect for Ford has just dramatically increased because of this. I am excited to see what the future holds for the station!

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 12th, 2018, 10:42 pm

It’s great that someone had the foresight to buy the dilapidated version of this building and sell it at, presumably, a substantial profit.

Not wonder that family is billionaires.

It’s great to keep historic, dare I say iconic, buildings like this. Majestic.