Family Dollar picture request/suggestion

Miscellaneous Photos
Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Family Dollar picture request/suggestion

Postby Oreos&Milk » November 30th, 2018, 9:15 pm

I saw a link about a proposed development going in behind the family dollar. While I like the idea of progress and density, I think this is going to "destroy" (block) the best views of the downtown area that I can think of.. If anybody feels like capturing this wonderful skyline during the day and or night it be much appreciated! I think I seen some pictures of the skyline from here but if anybody would like it be a nice picture I'd love to enjoy with ya.

While I do live near by, I just don't have a professional camera to capture anything that looks decent enough..

it really is such a great view, its breathtaking in my opinion. I know where I want my next apartment! ;)

in regards to..

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 215639.pdf

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Family Dollar picture request/suggestion

Postby Anondson » November 30th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I agree with you about the view from this block, or so. Easy to get jaded about our skyline, but it is picturesque from many sides and this view is special in its proximity and unblocked (for now) ground level views.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Re: Family Dollar picture request/suggestion

Postby jtoemke » December 1st, 2018, 3:59 pm

Great to see these lots being filled in. That view is gorgeous.

My thoughts:
1) This stretch of trench between LaSalle and 3rd seems like it would be super easy to cap.
2) Capping that would probably lead to the rapid gentrification of Steven's Square which is definitely a huge hidden gem.
3) Are there times you shouldn't improve your city because the detractors about certain neighborhoods keep them cheaper?

I know equity wise, capping in Rondo or other places should probably happen first, but the same qualms apply there as well. Will the improvements displace those that deal with them because of rent increases?

Sigh.. struggles of being an urbanist.